What have I done!!!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by GGarcia, Jan 14, 2014.

1. GGarcia

GGarcia Rookie

Jan 14, 2014

I was teaching part-time at a school an hour from my house. I decided to apply for a full time position that opened up close to my house and got the job. I changed schools after the holiday break and I HATE it!!! The kids are horrible and the administration is not good, very unsupportive of teachers. I feel really stupid for making such a big mistake. I did my research on the district and talked to several employees before accepting it. But now I can't help but think that I made a huge mistake!!! Anyone ever been in this situation?

Thanks for reading, just needed to vent after a very bad day!!

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jan 14, 2014

Take a deep breath, relax, have a stiff drink, and take a long, hot shower. Today was your 7th work day, and you're taking over somebody else's classroom. You'd be doing yourself and the school a huge disservice by declaring this a mistake.

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 14, 2014

I'm sorry you are in this situation.

You have a few options (some better than others):

You can quit and become a substitute (probably a bad choice since people here say quitting could get your certificate pulled).

You could try to get your old job back.

You can suck it up for the last half of the year and gain as much experience as possible so you can move to a better job next year. If you keep telling yourself that you will be finished in a few months, it might help. Then, you hunker down in your room and do your job to the best of your ability and try to stay out of school politics.

I sympathize with you. I asked for a new job at my school for this year. It turned out to be a really bad decision. Luckily, a new position opened up at school and I moved to that job.

5. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 14, 2014

I agree with this advise. I also agree that while quitting is an option, it certainly isn´t the best one. If I were you, I would try to focus on the positive and get what experience you can. In the end, if you are not happy, you do not have to return next school year.

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jan 14, 2014

I beat you- I sold my house and moved 750 miles for a job I couldn't take and had to quit. I sub now. However, that should only be done in extreme circumstances. I had a 205 day school year with extended days and no planning/specials. I wouldn't make it the year.
    It is only half of a school year- maybe you can transfer within the district or find something new for next year.

7. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 14, 2014

You shold give it some time before you start considering the alternative. You're a new teacher in the classroom, the kids will test you, and do everything to see what they can get away with. this could be weeks, even. If they've had a few subs before you, they might even try to see if they could make you quit. So be strict and stick it out for a month or so.

8. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jan 14, 2014

Although I haven't done it personally, I have seen from others that starting in a different school in the middle of a school year is very difficult. This is especially true in classroom management. Give it time. I am predicting next year will be much easier for you.

9. GGarcia

GGarcia Rookie

Jan 14, 2014

Thank you for your replies. Yes, hopefully if I can make it through the semester things will be better next year. It just seems so far away:(

10. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Jan 15, 2014

I'm sorry you've had such a bad experience. My advice would be to stick it out if you can. I've been through some really awful administrators, but now we have a wonderful principal and I can't imagine being anywhere else. Maybe you will outlast the admin and turn out loving it! Prayers for you!

11. joeschmoe

joeschmoe Companion

Jan 15, 2014

I'm curious if most jobs that open up in the middle of the school year tend to be terrible? At first glance it seems to be because if you think about the circumstances surrounding why a position would open up midway into the school year, a lot of them tend to be negative reasons. What do you guys think?

12. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jan 15, 2014

Perhaps some of them are. However, I think there are likely at least as many neutral reasons (I hesitate to say "positive", as that connotation doesn't fit) - whether it be someone getting a job elsewhere, there being some medical/family reason, or probably most often, for maternity leave. And naturally, you'll probably hear more about the "bad" cases than the cases that go just fine. Either way, it's a transition for the kids and is going to be tough no matter what the situation!