What Has Your Teaching Experience Been Like (For You)?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mahadragon, Mar 29, 2008.

1. mahadragon

mahadragon Rookie

Mar 29, 2008

Just wanted some thoughts on your experiences on teaching in general. What have your experiences been like through your life thus far? Some of you seem very experienced, knowing how to adapt to some very strange behaviors (like one student who from moved from desk to desk to answer the next question).

I am a new substitute teacher, having just experienced my first teaching job yesterday. It was for an elective english class in an alternative school 11 and 12 grade (I had no idea it was an alternative school when I signed on for the job). I am excited about the path in front of me.

What is surprising is what I can glean from the students as well as the other way. I know I have many faults, however, due to the fact that my jobs (paid and not paid) in life has never really demanded it. Teaching has helped me to open my eyes to many of my shortcomings.

Many of these students inherently trust me and look to me for guidance. It's an unusual position for me.

Lots of the students seemed like perfectly ordinary high school kids despite the fact this was an alternative school. They seemed to look at me alot, as if to say, "what are you going to do now?" It's weird because it's the first time in my life I've been looked to so many times. :hugs:

3. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Mar 29, 2008

How much do I enjoy teaching? Alot. Although I started at it relatively late (stayed home with my kids for 15 years), I love my career. I would not quit even if I won the lottery and was independently wealthy!

4. mahadragon

mahadragon Rookie

Mar 29, 2008

You sound like you like the student interaction yes? I feel the same way about my pts. I feel devoted to them and enjoy seeing them at their recalls. I'm 37 so I am also starting quite late. Your position is different however, because you get to spend each day with your students and I only get 1 hour to spend with mine. :)

5. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Mar 29, 2008

I love teaching I come in everyday wanting to teach about History. I absolutely love History and I love seeing kids who enjoy my class and are becoming History Buffs. I also love having the personal connections I have made with so many students over the years; to me that is the best part.

6. ~mrs.m~

~mrs.m~ Comrade

Mar 29, 2008

I also love my job. I have been a teacher for 23 years. I have encouraged my own daughter to be a teacher, and she is in her second year of college toward that end. Every year it does get a little more complicated for various reasons, but I still really enjoy it.

7. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Mar 29, 2008

I have a High School History teacher son, who says that his mom and I inspired him to teach and a daughter in her second year of college who wants to be Biology teacher.

8. jbj913

jbj913 Rookie

Mar 29, 2008

Teaching history is my calling. I love history and I love to teach. It's always been something I enjoy doing.
    I love going to work everyday. I don't dread it when I wake up. And I'm not one of those, "It's 2:30, not working anymore."
    It's a delight to hear, "At least we learn something in this class." "I actually like this class." "You made me pass my other class from what you taught me before."
    All I dread is politics in schools. Some administrators. The games.

9. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 29, 2008

I've wanted to teach since I was 4 years old (now turning 27 on Monday!). I'm in the 5th year of my career, and although its hard to go back after a spring break, I love my students and couldn't imagine not having them in my life. I love teaching all of the different subjects and doing projects that help them make connections. I love that they still love me (most of them, at least), and I know I make a difference and can give a few of them a safe place that they don't otherwise have. That's what matters to me the most. I, too, would keep going to work if I won the lottery...I feel that what I do just is that important!

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 29, 2008

I agree; I would also add that I am able to grow so much from what the students teach me about myself. Although there are frustrations (sometimes many), I can't imagine myself doing anything else!

11. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Mar 29, 2008

I love teaching, but really believe you need to find the school that is a good match for you. I know I would NOT like teaching in some other kinds of schools. I taught for two years in a school that was not a good match for me and considered leaving the profession. Fortunately, I found a job in a school that really fits my style. I am very lucky.

It is very important to find the subject/age/style that is right for you.

12. carlea

carlea Comrade

Mar 29, 2008

I agree with Miss Froggy. I don't know how I would feel about other grades (I've only taught K, a little 4th, 7th, & 8th) but...

I loved teaching kindergarten for their eagerness to learn, their excitement of discovering new things, and the fact that I could see how much they grew over the school year! I also loved teaching life skills (sharing, polite words, helping each other, etc.) and especially getting hugs!

I love teaching 8th grade because it is a challenge for me to make LA and SS interesting for them, create motivating activities, and the fact that they get my sarcasm! I also love that I can be a positive influence during what could be a difficult teenage time.

13. 1gdteach

1gdteach Companion

Mar 29, 2008

OK I am a Student Teacher and I love it... I love all parts of teaching. I taught preschool for 2 year before going back to school to get my degree and I loved that also. I am so excited about graduating in Dec. and beginning my new career.

14. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Mar 29, 2008

I took this job as a middle school teacher as a favor to a friend. I'd been teaching college prep math at a community college for 5 years before that. Anyway, I figured I'd stick around long enough for the principal to find a "real" teacher, but that teacher turned out to be me. I love "my" kids, even though they're inner city and pretty rough, I love it when I can get through to them, when they come up to me all excited in wal-mart to tell me something they learned in my class actually proved to be useful in real life, when their eyes light up with the "I got it" look, or when, for the first time in their lives, they got an A on a test (and actually deserved it). I could go on and on and on, but I'll stop here.

15. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Mar 29, 2008

I love teaching and I love helping students make connections to history and how things are in their lives. It has been the source of some of the greatest joy in my life and the source of the greatest pain in my life when I think that I may lose my job and my chance at this career.

I also love the excuse to watch the history channel, look up lesson plan sites on the internet and glance at a historical biography all at the same time (no I am not ADHD!)

I hope I am making an impact on my students lives.

16. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Mar 30, 2008

At 45, I find myself also beginning a new career. I stayed home with my daughter or worked part-time while she was growing up, so, after 20+ years in customer service / business / computers, I went back to school! What a revelation! I too am substitute teaching at the current time, having completed my certification last December. I student taught a 3rd grade class last fall, and, in spite of the (many) challenges (did I say many?), I loved it. When I sub at that school now, I make sure to drop by that classroom when I have a break. I never thought I would feel this way, but when I enter that classroom, I feel as if I am Elvis, and I have entered the (concert) building! I've never had so many smiles and welcome exclamations aimed at me in my life! I have also subbed for the 1st grade class I will be long-term-subbing later this spring, and they are fabulous! At a time in my life where many people are slowing down, I am perking up, and am excited about my future!