What Has Been Your Best Purchase Ever?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 9, 2019

What did you get?

2. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Nov 9, 2019

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  3. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Nov 9, 2019

I can’t disagree with this. Very smart advice! :D

However, I’ve fully funded my Roth IRA and 403b for 2019, I’ve purchased 35k in stocks this year, and I’ve added about 20k to my personal savings account.

I acquired and started corresponding with a financial advisor this year and she advised me to start putting money ($3k so far) into an HSA, a SEP, and gave me different options for other investments that I didn’t even know existed. I have a plan mapped out and will be able to retire by 50 or sooner at this rate. I’m super excited!

4. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Nov 9, 2019

Yes! They are stubborn but so perfect.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  5. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Nov 9, 2019

I love my dog, too! She’s a Golden Retriever named Buttercup, or Butters for short, and I love her so much!

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 9, 2019

Very nice! I looked at a few cars, but I ended up going with this Highlander. DH is driving my old vehicle, which is almost identical to this one. In our area, we need at least one vehicle that we can drive in snow/rough areas.

7. a2z

a2z Maven

Nov 9, 2019

I didn't think for a second that you were unprepared for early retirement, but your focus is always trying to squeeze every penny out of your money. In this instance you waste money for no reason.

8. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Habitué

Nov 9, 2019

It is amazing you knew the ways of finances so young compared to me and many others! lol But, I did finally learn them. I hate bills too. I went through a few years in life where I did the same thing of paying off bills for a yr in advance! Once they started doing direct withdrawals ( or when I 1st learned about it), I switched over to that. Now I don't see bills. ( I only have electric, phone, and dumpster payments monthly.) I have a well, so no water bill.
    There is no trash pick up at the curb here. :) Wow! 550 for a nice house is a good deal. Here you'd pay at least 1,200 a month for a small simple 1 bedroom apt in a decent ( not good) location. By good, I mean fairly safe, not too loud, and easy to be plowed when needed. :)

9. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Habitué

Nov 9, 2019

This is true. I hated bills so much ( because at 1x I was heavily in debt) that it gave me a sense of security to have things pd off that way. I still really hate bills, but having direct withdrawal I don't have to worry about when the power goes if I forgot to pay the bill. :) The power goes off due to wind and snow a lot here. I still always call someone close by to make sure theirs is out too. lol Old memories haunt us! :)

10. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Nov 9, 2019

I think your car is beautiful. Nice buy and enjoy the fruits of your hard-earned labor! :D

11. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Nov 9, 2019

Not necessarily as not all investments yield positive returns. Plus, I like not having bills because I have much greater purchasing power from month to month. And now that my bills are paid through July 2020, I can invest even more so than I have been. It all works out in the end.

12. Guitart

Guitart Companion

Nov 9, 2019

You took the words out of my mouth. College Part 2 was my "mid-life crisis" purchase. Best decision I ever made to become a teacher. Love my job and it has been good for my health and soul. Our house purchase was wise too. I'm so glad I did not fall into the temptation of buying an expensive home beyond my means. I would have had to stay in my previous career just to be a slave to a house. BUT my down payment did cost me my 1969 Camaro. Not a week goes by I don't think about that car. It is now worth 3X what I sold it for,

Tired Teacher likes this.
  13. Guitart

Guitart Companion

Nov 9, 2019

I gotta buy a new car soon and I'm so bummed. I really like my car. It is perfect for me but it needs $2K in a new exhaust system. It's just not worth it. It's a rare car that an enthusiast will grab up and restore but I don't make the money as a teacher to own a car as a hobby. I have been car shopping and nothing interests me except impractical high-performance cars. My next car will be a purchase of functionality and affordability, not excitement. It's going to feel like a shotgun wedding.

14. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 9, 2019

I get really attached to vehicles. I buy them new and drive them a long time. Looking for something new takes me a couple of years of casual browsing.

15. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Nov 9, 2019

My recommendation is to get a Honda or Toyota because they last forever. My 2020 Honda Accord Sport gets 32mpg on average and it is a sweet ride! I keep getting compliments on it and everyone is wondering where I got it, haha!

16. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Nov 9, 2019

Exactly this.

17. CherryOak

CherryOak Companion

Nov 10, 2019

My little red sports car. :cool: Sensibility is overrated.

blazer and futuremathsprof like this.
  18. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Nov 10, 2019

What kind is it?! You can’t just leave us hanging like that. :D

19. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Nov 16, 2019

[​IMG]
    This!
    Weirdly, given our poor climate the Brits own more convertibles pro rata than any other country. It was my mid life crisis car! Had it for 3 years until the first grand kid arrived and I had to get a sensible car that strollers would fit into! We had a rule that the top had to come down on a journey at least once every month! It was identical to the one in the photo except the steering wheel was on the right!

20. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 16, 2019

My Alexa-enabled outlets and light bulbs are quickly becoming a favorite. I've got schedules set up for outdoor lights, lamps, and basically any routine we have. We very rarely touch a switch or remote.

futuremathsprof and bella84 like this.
  21. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Nov 17, 2019

The best purchase I have ever bought is a tie between 2 things:
    1. My 2012 Honda Civic that currently has 120k miles and has never had one single mechanical issue (keeps fingers crossed)
    2. My Shark Vacuum (I am convinced Jesus Christ himself had a hand in the workings of this vacuum.)

22. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Habitué

Nov 17, 2019

Hondas are good rigs, imo. I had a CRV for a couple of yrs and loved it. ( Totaled it. :( ) All of my family switched to Hondas for a period of time. My sis had an Accord that she sold at 200,000 miles. We'd see it on the road sometimes for about a yr after that. My mom had 1 that lasted almost as long, but she sold hers early and got a new one.

23. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Nov 18, 2019

My best purchase so far is my 2018 Keystone Bullet ravel trailer. Bought it in May, and yes, it's very expensive, I'm paying $300 / month, but in the 6 months I've had it, it only sat in front of my house for a little over a month total.
    It already been to Alaska (from California) up along the West Coast and came back towards Montana and Nevada. That was a 5 week, 8000 mile trip with my 3 German Shepherds. Been to the river and t's been in the mountain since Labor Day weekend (2nd location). Besides last weekend, I've been camping in it since then. It will stay up there until the first significant snow, then it's going to the river for the winter.
    Then. my mom just agreed to visit me from Hungary in the summer and we will do a 2-3 week trip to Utah, Montana, Wyoming and the lower parts of Canada. She turned 70 this year so I couldn't except her to tent camp with me, but this trailer makes this possible and comfortable.
    Super happy. Creating lots of memories.

ms.irene, blazer and futuremathsprof like this.
  24. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Nov 18, 2019

We have been looking for something like that. What do you tow it with?

25. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Nov 19, 2019

Believe it or not, a little Chevy Colorado :) No one believed that I could tow it, because it's a small truck, but it has 5 cylinders and the capability to tow 6000 lbs. My trailer has 3270 lbs dryweight, with some essential water and food and things it's probably not more than 4500lbs. I was told to not go over 5000 lbs.
    It's fine, but very steep uphills it can slightly overheat. In our local mountains there's one uphill of 13% grade, I have to go very slow and I watch the temperature as it climbs but it doesn't get out of control.

When I was in Canada, (actually throughout the whole 8000 mile journey this was the only place), there were a series of 12-13% grade up hill climbs, one after another, and it was scary. My truck barely went with 20 mph and it overheated to the point of having to pull over and wait 3-4 times. My trailer was full of water because I didn't know where I would camp next, so after a while I realized it and dumped it all. It was better after but it was scary because I had barely entered Canada and was wondering how long it will be like that. Entire Canada?

I will never forget that. I am planning on trading this truck in for a Silverado, it can tow 10 000 lbs, I know t will never be a problem.

Most trailers, even the small ones like mine will weigh at least 4000 lbs total, so the truck should have a 6000lb capacity, but 8000 lb would be much better.

26. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Nov 19, 2019

Thanks. That gives us some good information.

27. whizkid

whizkid Habitué

Nov 21, 2019

My college education, best decision I've made thus far in my life.

28. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 21, 2019

We just purchased solar panels for our house. They are costly but will be worth it in the long run. I think making purchases that are investments for the future are the best purchases.

29. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Nov 25, 2019

Best investment for any teacher is a Masters. For the initial investment (<$20k, and over the long term, say 20 years) you're looking at a difference of maybe 1/4 million $ (as without a Masters). You will never see that level of return on anything.

30. a2z

a2z Maven

Nov 26, 2019

A second pair of glasses! Now I can leave one at work and one at home. Since I don't wear them constantly, it really made life so much better. I was always forgetting them in one place or another making it really difficult when I needed them.

31. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Nov 26, 2019

I don't know about best ever, but this year I am so grateful we invested in a home warranty.

32. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Nov 26, 2019

Oh no, what happened? I hope your home is okay. Or, is it just for the peace of mind in case something happens, hopefully never?

33. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Habitué

Nov 28, 2019

True! Almost all of the teachers I work w/ have 1, and I think you'd be hard pressed to get a job w/out 1 around here. Unless you were related to someone! :)

34. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 29, 2019

Great guys! The only big thing lately is my 2020 Tokyo Olympics trip that I'll be going on next summer!

35. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 2, 2019

It's required here. You can't get a permanent license without a Masters.

36. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Habitué

Dec 7, 2019

I think you have to have a MA here too now to work in certain schools except for Title 1 position. I am not sure about the permanent license. ( I did it a long time ago.) I know other schools though ( REALLY bad ones), where teachers don't stay more than a yr and are known to leave at Christmas time even. They need warm bodies. :) They are places you have to live off of the road system.

37. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 7, 2019

It was required here in Kentucky until last year. I know several people who lost their license because they didn't get their masters. The kept putting it off, and eventually they got to the point where they didn't have time to get it done.

I got mine early. I started halfway through my second year and finished the next year. It cost $3250 in tuition, and I got a $3000 a year increase in salary. So worth it!

38. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 9, 2019

My husband mentioned that my next car should be a Highlander. How is the trunk space? My current Outlander is a good size vehicle for me but the trunk could be bigger.

39. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 9, 2019

With the third row seat down, it’s got a lot of space. With both back rows down, it holds as much as my F-150. With all the seats up, it doesn’t have a lot, but we don’t really shouldn’t need the third row. It was a toss up between the Highlander and the 4Runner. Loved both.

40. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 10, 2019

I'll have to see it in person. I don't want anything really big.