What Has Been Your Best Purchase Ever?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 31, 2015

At this point in my life so far, my purebreed Boston Terrier puppy for $XXXX from the breeder. Even if/when I buy a home someday, a fancier car, elaborate vacation, etc., my dog would have still been some of the best $ I ever spent!

Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 31, 2015

Me too :wub:

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 31, 2015

All of our guinea pigs are amazing, but they're rescue creatures and I wouldn't count them as purchases. However, I WOULD count the Big Green Egg I got for Rockhubby as a purchase, and it has paid for itself in terms of tasty meals made on our back porch.

5. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 31, 2015

My animals were either bought by my parents (horses-got one when I was 12 and one when I was almost 14) or rescues, so I don't count them. My best purchase is my house. We got it for a steal and it's awesome. Home values have skyrocketed since so we're in a pretty good spot though we think we'll do a two story addition instead of moving.

6. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jul 31, 2015

I gotta group it- my best purchase(s) ever were all my plane tickets abroad. Traveling has impacted my life in so many ways I know that I'm a better person for it. (Also found my lovely esposo abroad!!! :love: )

7. platypusok

platypusok Companion

Jul 31, 2015

My niece got a dog for Christmas when she was 6. I tell my sister that she will never, ever, ever top that Christmas present. My niece's bf got a dog that year too. They are both heading to college next month and I think they are having the hardest time with leaving their dogs.

As for me, my car which I got for a steal from a friend because it looks horrible but it runs perfectly and it has taken me on so many road trips across this country. Plus, it's a conversation starter at gas stations.

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 31, 2015

I would have adopted/rescued but I couldn't find the kind of dog I wanted at the shelter and when I applied to a rescue nobody responded or would give me any information. When someone finally emailed me back 3 months later they were somewhat rude. How sad for the poor dogs :(

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 31, 2015

Nice guys!

TeacherNY, woah, that's too bad! Everywhere, it's said how badly animals need to be adopted, etc., yet they had no sense of urgency & were rude. Makes you wonder how they treat those innocent animals! :(

Now, my Boston passed about 2.5 yrs ago (it feels longer), but I'll get a dog again.

10. *Schoolmarm*

*Schoolmarm* Rookie

Aug 4, 2015

I think I have to say my house (with property) has been my best purchase also. It's in the same neighborhood as my parents and my brother, so it's great for communal living. This kids have room to run around and build forts, hubs can work on projects in the yard, and I have room for my garden. The house is small, but the yard is large.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2015

My home. (my current house is actually the third time we've bought!)

12. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 4, 2015

My post-BA education. My parents paid for my Bachelor's Degree, but I paid for my own teaching credential, administrative services credential, and MA.

Second best purchase would be my home!

Guitart and futuremathsprof like this.
  13. allaphoristic

allaphoristic Companion

Aug 5, 2015

My cat! She brings my SO and I so much joy!

14. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 5, 2015

My marriage licenses

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 5, 2015

I know how you feel!

16. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Aug 10, 2015

If we are talking material things, then this has given me a lot of pleasure:

[​IMG]

ecteach and Tired Teacher like this.
  17. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Aug 20, 2015

One of mine--the first to come to mind--is a Mr. Coffee Iced Tea pot for the microwave. They were hard to find, and I haven't seen them in stores in years, but I love it!

ecteach likes this.
  18. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 21, 2015

Love my kitty and he gives me oodles of job but he was a free from a family that found him on the streets of Philly. They tried keeping him but he didn't get along with their other pets. He LOVES people, animals, not so much!

Another thing I absolutely love is my Keurig but that was a gift from dh for my birthday several years ago. I only drink one cup per day and I love the convenience of it.

So, for me best purchase is our kitchen upgrade. Five years ago we totally gutted our kitchen, moved the laundry room upstairs and redid the laundry room into a kind of pantry space with a second fridge. I love everything about my kitchen. The way it looks, the ease of use when I cook and bake, the massive amount of storage it has, and all the dinners my family has in it.

19. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 21, 2015

I would love to upgrade my kitchen!! I hate the flooring and cabinets. I would feel like cooking more if I had a spiffy new kitchen :lol:

20. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 29, 2018

Lately, the new Canon Megatank printer I got during this past Dec. These ink cartridges should last about several mos to a year! No more buying new ink every 2-3 wks!!!! :D

21. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 29, 2018

I am really happy with my house. It was my first major purchase besides a car . . . and my masters degree.

My divorce was also well worth the money. :rofl:

22. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Jan 29, 2018

Omeprazole. God it feel's good to not have heartburn.

ecteach and a2z like this.
  23. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Jan 30, 2018

The best decision I ever made was to get my Masters degree as it has enabled me to live a very comfortable life. With it, I received a massive pay increase and now I’m able to basically buy what I want, when I want. I can’t imagine not living the lifestyle I live right now.

My next goal is to buy a house. In cash. I’m still saving towards mine — I only have $60,000 saved up. I want to purchase it outright, but it is very hard sometimes when I search around on Zillow and I see a beautiful house that I want, but I always tell myself no in the end since I can’t buy it all at once.

My goal is to buy my house outright so that I don’t have a mortgage and then prepay my bills for the entire year so that I can just have fun with every paycheck.

24. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 30, 2018

Yes! It was an absolute lifesaver for me. Of course, after taking it daily for 16 years, I had to deal with side effects of long term use. Still, it's less miserable than severe heartburn.

25. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Jan 30, 2018

I've only been taking it daily for about 5 months. May I ask what side effects you are referring to?

26. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 30, 2018

old thread, still have to say my home. Pride of ownership, a place of family and friendship, a gathering spot, a foundation of memories...and an investment that traditionally grows over time.

27. Teacher234

Teacher234 Cohort

Jan 30, 2018

Acquiring teaching certifications.
    Being a teacher is a rather fun occupation for some.

28. Been There

Been There Habitué

Jan 31, 2018

2001 Honda Insight that got up to 90 MPG! Unfortunately, I was forced to sell it due to increasing technical problems which today may have been fixable - even Honda had no answers at that time. :( Still it was exciting to own such an amazing vehicle.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  29. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 31, 2018

I've had issues with magnesium, vitamin D, and vitamin B12 deficiencies. There were issues getting my iron levels back up to normal. They were low due to another issue, but it took longer to get regulated than normal. I've also lost some bone density. Most recently, I had an issue with microscopic colitis. That required treatment from a gastroenterologist. There is also an increased risk of stomach cancer associated with overuse of PPI medications.

I was off of all PPI medications for about two months. The second month was miserable. I'm back on a low (20mg daily) dose now because the severe reflux was increasing my risk of esophageal cancer and aspiration pneumonia from reflux during sleep.

30. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jan 31, 2018

My shih tzu! We love him to pieces!

31. Been There

Been There Habitué

Feb 2, 2018

Would you please describe in detail how you were able to insert a photo into your message? I can't seem to get it to work (along with sending PMs). Thanks in advance!

32. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 2, 2018

Aren't they the sweetest?

I was always a big dog fan (shepherd, Akita, husky) until I met DH. He had five Shih Tzus. They are so adorable.

33. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 6, 2018

^ Same here! Love dogs!

34. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Cohort

Nov 8, 2019

I think the best purchase I ever made was made in downsizing to a smaller home. The place has tripled in value since I built it. ( Location, inflation, view, and I think more people's kids are grown and are looking for smaller homes). Monthly bills are a lot lower.

ecteach likes this.
  35. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Cohort

Nov 8, 2019

That is definitely the way to go if rent is not outrageous where you live. I was able to do it too by downsizing! ;) Rent in this area is like throwing major $$ out the window, It is a way to keep poor people poor.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  36. futuremathsprof

Nov 9, 2019

I am lucky right now in that I pay $550/month for rent and I live in California— which is basically unheard of — and in a nice house to boot! Moreover, since I pay so little in rent each month I was able to pay off my entire lease through July 2020. This means I won’t pay rent again until next August 2020!!!

I also paid off my yearly car insurance premium, I prepaid my cellphone bill for a year ahead, I fully funded all of my various retirement accounts for fiscal 2019, and I gave my landlord $1,000 extra to cover my utilities through July 2020.

I hate having bills and so I make it my mission to pay them off as fast as possible. And now, all I have to pay is food and gas each month for very roughly 1 year. I LOVE financial independence. :)

37. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Nov 9, 2019

We bought our last two houses outright and it has made a tremendous difference in our retirement.

38. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 9, 2019

It's not necessarily a best purchase ever, but DH and I are enjoying our new vehicles.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  39. futuremathsprof

Nov 9, 2019

I just got a new vehicle myself! Yay, us!

40. futuremathsprof

Nov 9, 2019

I’m SO happy for you, haha! Love it.

I envy your situation and can’t wait until I buy my first and last house some day. At this point, I’ve saved over $125k for it and I am thinking about having my house built from scratch because it would be cheaper. I also very much plan to have it surrounded by a very strong metal gate/wall structure to protect my assets. I am not going to take any chances with my forever home.

41. a2z

a2z Maven

Nov 9, 2019

I know you love to pay things off ahead of time. That just means that your money that could be used to earn interest is now sitting in the hands of another in advance. It makes sense to pay off things where you will be charged interest for not paying it off, but to pay in advance when you won't be charged anything extra or gain any interest by doing so, you are forgoing investment potential.

That money could be making interest each month until the payment is due.