What Happens

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Miz_Jay, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Miz_Jay

Miz_Jay Companion

Dec 18, 2014

If a student gets hurt while you are substituting for a class?

This question has been plaguing me lately because of something that happened at the school that I just completed a LTS.

In PE, the students were skating and the PE teacher was out sick. He left the sub to do skating with the students. One of the students fell while skating and fractured their arm. I'm sure that this scenario could have happened with the regular teacher as well, but it didn't.

So what are the possible outcomes for this? I don't know why it's so worrisome for me when it didn't happen to me, but my mind has been spinning in over drive trying to figure this out.

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Dec 18, 2014

This is different from a previous thread that dealt with a student who was injured when things got out of control and two students argued, ending with one with an injured tooth. In all likelihood, the sub was following the lesson plans. There is reasonable assumption that the contracted teacher only left plans that were at an appropriate skill level for what they knew. In this instance, unless there is evidence that the sub was negligent, such as walking out of the room, or ignoring clear warning signs that students were not following the directions, this would fall under the school's insurance, since it was the activity that the regular teacher wrote the plans for. Of course, if the sub had misgivings about the activity, and didn't feel comfortable teaching that lesson plan, the wiser course of action would be to find an activity that was less likely to require high competence to teach well. Subs do have that right and obligation - to keep students safe. Assuming the sub was comfortable with the activity, as a former gym teacher might have been, then these things happen. That's why the school would have insurance. You were on the right track when you noted that this same accident could have happened with the regular teacher. Sometimes an accident is just an accident, even when the teacher is paying attention, has adequate classroom management skills, and the students are on task. This sounds like a skill level problem. No one wants a child to be injured, but especially in sports, these things happen.

4. Miz_Jay

Miz_Jay Companion

Dec 18, 2014

You are correct, the sub was following the plans, the students were playing roller hockey at the time the student that I'm referring to fell.

The student this happened to was in the class that I was subbing for, and when I went to pick them up, I got a positive behavior report from both the sub and a responsible student in the class, so I have to assume that give those reports they were at least for the majority of it doing what they were supposed to be doing.

The activity only required that the sub make sure they were following directions, they roller skate in PE every year (they're 5th now) so all the students have some level of skating skill and they'd been playing roller hockey at that time for probably 4 or 5 PE classes prior, so the sub wasn't teaching anything they didn't know.

5. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Dec 19, 2014

When I was in 7th grade, we were playing capture the flag the last day of school before winter break. Our regular teacher was there, and one of the kids lunged for a flag, tripped, fell and broke his arm. By all accounts the teacher was following instructions, none of us were in any danger, but these things are likely to happen in a PE class.