What happens when a principal offers you a full time position?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by robnjessmom, Mar 18, 2012.

1. robnjessmom

robnjessmom Rookie

Mar 18, 2012

Hi, I am new to the NYCDOE and I have only been subbing for a few months. Just a couple of weeks ago, the principal of the school I've been subbing in offered me a full time job. I was ecstatic. I filled out some paperwork and now I'm waiting. I was just wondering if anyone knew what the process entails? How long does it take? It's been about three weeks now and I haven't heard anything and I don't want to ask. Please help :confused:

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 18, 2012

I would definitely send the principal an email or stop in to ask what the next step you need to take should be. It can take some time, especially if the job needs to be approved by the board of education.

4. stargirl

stargirl Comrade

Mar 18, 2012

I work in a different state, but when I was offered my current job, I was called by the HR office to let me know that the principal wanted to hire me. I then went to the central area office to fill out paperwork, etc.; didn't actually speak to or see the principal till the first day of school (though that was probably because I was hired less than a week before school started).

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 18, 2012

CONGRATULATIONS! Yes, the wheels of HR and approvals need to turn a couple of times to get things done. Hang in there.

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 19, 2012

I had the same thing happen, and I thought that I hadn't gotten the job after all.

I had been subbing in the school all year. I was there nearly every day, and I did two long-term jobs. The subbing coordinator (also the assistant superintendent) called me to ask if I would be interested in the high school that job had just become available. He had the principal talk to me next, and he offered me the job, after a formal interview as a technicality. This was in May, and I didn't hear anything else until July when I called central office just to see if there was anything I needed to do. Nope. All was taken care of, but I just needed to show up on opening day in August. They assumed I knew everything, forgetting tha tI was completely new.

7. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Mar 19, 2012

Typical red tape. I wouldn't stress about it,but I would follow up with the principal and/or the HR dept.

8. robnjessmom

robnjessmom Rookie

Mar 19, 2012

I am just so anxious to be "official". It all happened so quickly that I guess I won't believe it until I don't have to punch a time card anymore. I was also just trying to wait a decent amount of time before I asked any questions. Thanks for the replies. :unsure: