What happens when a math teacher position goes unfilled?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by JayR, May 26, 2008.

1. JayR

JayR Rookie

May 26, 2008

This post appeared on another board, and interests me. Although it is posed in terms of math, obviously the question works for any subject:

What happens when a math teacher position goes unfilled?

Do five math teachers agree each will teach one extra class? (And are they paid extra?)

Is someone hired who is not qualified for math?

Or do you just make the classes larger to absorb more students?

3. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

May 26, 2008

In my school we would each get an extra class but they would not hire someone not qualified. This happened one year, a math teacher left 3 weeks after school started and they could not find anyone. I got an Algebra I class along with 4 other teachers and we each had 6 classes for te rest of the year. We do get paid extra to teach 6 classes.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 26, 2008

Several of us pitch in and teach one middle school class. I teach elementary all day except science, and one pre-algebra class a day. It works okay.

5. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

May 26, 2008

We have had this happen with both math and science teachers at my school. I am not sure how the other teachers in the dept. could pick up other class because they would lose their prep. We have had teachers recieve emergency license in order to teach for that year. Most often they were not really qualified to teach math or science - just a warm body.

6. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

May 26, 2008

They can't make you teach extra classes here (for the most part), so usually somebody winds up teaching "out of area", which is really unfortunate for the students.

7. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

May 26, 2008

I taught SEVEN classes daily for 26 years. I wish I'd been paid extra for them. Jeepers!

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 26, 2008

At our school, it's pretty likely that one of two things would happen:

They would ask the current math teachers to "sell" a prep period. If the teacher agrees, he or she would give up one prep/planning period and instead teach a class. The teacher would be paid extra, maybe around $800/month.

They would fill the position with a long term sub.

9. MrL

MrL Companion

May 27, 2008

I did that for American History Honors once. It was great until they decided I needed a second prep period my first year. There are pros and cons to having a wide certification.

10. jessicai67

jessicai67 Rookie

May 28, 2008

Around here they fill the position with a non certified teacher (long term sub). We had 4 science classes alone with subs in them this year.

11. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

May 28, 2008

Some of the same things have happened in our school. Another solution our school used once or twice is to disperse the students to make all the classes larger. No extra pay for the teachers...