What happens if you fail student teaching?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Razzle82, Aug 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Aug 11, 2010

Aha...that makes a difference. I understand what you are saying better now. I taught at the middle school level. We had 50 minute classes each day (6 periods total).

I also agree STs should be required to stay on campus during normal school hours, but out district considered normal school hours to be roughly 7:30am-3:30pm. My CT often stayed until 4:00-4:30pm (especially on remediation day). I considered it my obligation to stay there until at least 3:30pm myself and often didn't leave until 4:00pm or later as well.

I specifically mentioned in one of my first posts I was talking about STs (and teachers) that "try to beat the buses out of the parking lot" in the afternoon; ie, they head for their cars as soon as the last bell rings. Sometimes you have to leave that early, but not every day.

2. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2010

At my uni we too were discouraged to work while doing our ST. But, I knew a ST who the school was able to allow her to ST part time, and work PT, so she would just ST longer because she was working as well. So, I guess it depends, but some unis (at least mine) will work with students.

3. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 11, 2010

Wait a minute...a university does not own you, student teaching or not. They might "discourage" work, but no one should have to "sneak around and work". Student teaching is a paid learning opportunity, just like a class. What you do outside your obligated hours is your business.

4. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2010

Not the case in California. CSU thinks that part of it's job is to weed people out of the teaching profession.

In California, ST's are supposed to fly solo for the entirety of their final semester. At least that's what they told me. I was left unattended with students all the time. When I had a student teacher, and the university supervisor came to observe, I left the room. So I guess you would not be a very happy parent there.

That's what I meant.

Now I feel I really got screwed. They told me, less than half way through the fall semester that I had to come back and finish in the spring. No attempt to reassign me, and no credit for my previous work. I had to teach the whole semester again. And pay a full semester of fees again. In fact, after the college year was over and I had my credential, I was told (incorrectly) by the school that I had to come back for the final month of year-round school and go until July. Nearly two decades on, I'm still bitter about this.

Why should they have to stay? Really. Unless there is something for them to do that relates to their teacher training, they are not employees and should not be made to stay longer than necessary.

Now, I also believe that student teachers deserve a stipend, but that's a whole other thread.

5. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Aug 12, 2010

I mainly used that time to grade papers, record grades in the system, look over content for the next day or next unit and (a couple of times per grading period) check to see what grades students were missing.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2010

Absolutely.

I worked 4 nights a week, from 4 until about midnight, in a restaurant. It was most certainly do-able. Lots and lots of teachers work second jobs.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2010

When our student teachers teach lessons--whether one/day or the entire day for a period of time--the class isn't just "turned over" to them. The co-operating teacher provides input in planning, reviews all lessons, is responsible for final grading of assignments, and is in the classroom at all times, supervising, co-teaching (taking the supporting role) and assisting. With us as well, student teachers cannot be left alone with students, but that doesn't mean they can't do the majority of the teaching.

8. SciTeacherNY

SciTeacherNY Companion

Aug 12, 2010

I think it is very interesting to hear what other schools around the country required of their student teachers.

For our last semester, we were required to ST for 12 weeks (6 weeks MS and 6 weeks HS). For my first week, I more or less observed the class and my CT. For the second week, I took over planning one class. For the third week, I took over another class and so on. The CT was suppose to be supervising me at all times. For the first weeks, she actively observed the lessons and wrote down positives and negatives. By the end, she was in the room 95% of the time, but sometimes she would run a quick errand.

As for staying late, I do not think I ever stayed much past the final bell (but neither did my CT). I had grad class at 4:30 two days a week and I worked two times a week. I can not believe some places say you can not work - who are they to dictate how you spend your free time? I feel as long as you get your job done, why does it matter how long before or after school you stay?

9. JustJim

JustJim Companion

Aug 12, 2010

My thanks to Sarge and Kcjo for their comments; there have been times I thought I was the only one who had questions about or negative experiences with some of the practices of student teaching.

For the record, almost the only guidance I've received about student teaching was a copy of some stuff Kcjo sent me a while back--and she attended a different part of the same university system I'm in. (But it helped, I was at least able to understand some of the things I need to be prepared for.) From what I've been able to determine from conversations with peers, during student teaching we start by observing for a week or two, then take over one class period a week ( 1 class the first week, 2 the second, etc) until we are finally teaching the entire day. Then we stair-step down the same way.

Most of the grad students also take comps and Praxis II the same semester as they student teach. We aren't supposed to work full-time while student teaching, and they "strongly discourage" part-time work. Paying for it all is left as an exercise for the student.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.