What happens if you fail student teaching?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Razzle82, Aug 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Razzle82

Razzle82 New Member

Aug 10, 2010

If you fail, do you still graduate? I will begin my student teaching next month and if god forbid I ever failed, I would not be able to repeat student teaching due to financial reasons.

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 10, 2010

I honestly don't know what happens. I guess it's like not passing any other class, meaning you'll hv to repeat it in which I assume they assign you to a diff master teacher. I've had to ST 4 terms (2 general ed classrooms & 2 special ed rms) because I earned 2 credentials. I ended up doing quite well, but I of course was nervous going into it.

Just remember, the second you feel something's not right or you need help in any way, alert your master teacher &/or univ supervisor.

I'm sure you'll do fine! :)

4. SciTeacherNY

SciTeacherNY Companion

Aug 10, 2010

I have never heard of anyone failing student teaching. I would assume, however, that if you fail student teaching, you would not graduate. For my graduate program, it was a required class worth 8 credits.

5. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Aug 10, 2010

I did not need student teaching to finish my BA, so if I failed (which I didn't) I still would have graduated, but not received my teaching license. It is a little premature to worry about failing it if you have not started it. I know that where I went to school, if someone was in danger of not doing well (generally needed to be placed with another teacher) they had the option of taking an incomplete and finishing later. Don't worry so much, I am sure you will do fine.

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 10, 2010

I know someone who failed part of their student teaching (did well in the 1st placement and not so well in the 2nd). I think she had to go to a school that had summer school and work with the kids there. I don't know any details but I know she had to pay for the extra credits.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2010

Failures in studen teaching are apparently pretty rare. Why on earth do you think you'll be one of them?

8. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Aug 10, 2010

I had a friend who failed student teaching. The whole time he would tell me their tales of his crazy co-op or unfair expectations (his co-op called in sick and the principal asked my friend to be the sub on his 2nd day of STing......which is illegal where I live) and I would always say "Tell our clinical director! Tell her!" He was too afraid and didn't want to seem like he couldn't handle it.

Instead, our director got to hear the co-op's poor reviews during the evaluations and then my friend's weak excuses for it after the fact.

So please tell your director/supervisor/liasion, whatever you call it at your school, if you are having ANY problems. They don't even have to be serious--our director loved brainstorming lessons with us! No one expects you to know everything so don't be afraid to ask questions!!!

Good luck--I am sure you'll do great....the first few days are nerve-wracking but I bet after the 3rd or 4th day of observing you'll be dying to jump in and show your stuff!!!

9. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2010

If you look in the Student and Preservice Teachers forum, you can probably find more information. I think I remember a few people asking about this. But I don't think it's something that happens often, or something that you need to worry about.

Have you had problems in some of your classes? In all of my classes, and my student teaching, I always heard I was too quiet to be a teacher. But that has worked to my advantage in my own classroom, and I've never had a problem with it. But in student teaching I did have to try to conform to more of their expectations.

10. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Aug 10, 2010

How does one FAIL student teaching? I would think if that happens, they probably shouldn't be a teacher....?

At the college I went to, student teaching was 15 credits and part of graduating so if you didn't pass it was possible you wouldn't get your degree.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2010

I went through a grad program and got certified as part of the program. I could have just gotten the degree and not done the student teaching, but the student teaching was part of the certification process.

12. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Aug 10, 2010

I would make sure you speak to your supervisor or professor if you feel that things are not going well in your student teaching placement. If things are not going well with your cooperating teacher, make sure you speak up even if you are afraid too.

I have had 2 ST who did not do so well in my classroom. I needed to speak to their supervisor about what was happening. In fact, one of my ST was placed somewhere else early enough in the semester to give them a second chance.

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 10, 2010

jenglish97, if you don't mind my asking, what did the ST who was reassigned do that was so horrible? I'm curious.

14. AJB123

AJB123 Rookie

Aug 10, 2010

You can graduate with your BA in education without student teaching, but cannot be licensed as a teacher.

My student teaching experience started great, but I had to do a split placement due to my license. My second placement was awful. Things got sticky when my supervisor said some things to my cooperating teacher that I had told him in confidence when seeking advice before I had a chance to follow through with my cooperating teacher. This happened right around graduation, but a month before my student teaching placement was over. Things went from bad to worse, but I made it through. I'm pretty sure this cooperating teacher cost me a job that first summer after graduating because she took until the end of August (I finished my placement with her in January) to give me my letter of reference, which every one I interviewed with wanted to see, but I couldn't produce it because I didn't have it.

But, I believe things always happen for a reason. I am now teaching at a school that I love with great people and challenging students. My student teaching experience turned out to be a great learning opportunity about school politics. I am much better at the "game" now! :)

15. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Aug 10, 2010

I know of one student teacher who was in a terrible accident. She had to repeat student teaching because she was in the hospital for 3/4 of the time. She didn't have to pay for another semester though. I think you would only have to repeat student teaching if you missed a certain amount of days. Basically, if you show up and do the work, then you'll pass. Student teaching is all about making mistakes and learning from them. You'll do fine! :)

16. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 10, 2010

Let's go into the experience with a glass half full outlook, ok? :D

Seriously, I always tell my students, if you let those negative thoughts creep into your head, they are more likely to take hold. Go in with confidence and do the best you can!

17. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

Aug 10, 2010

I'm going into my student teaching this year too. Am I terrified that I'm going to fail miserably? You bet! However, one thing to keep in mind is that this is your time to make mistakes. Your coordinating teacher and univ. supervisor are there to catch you if you fall, help you learn from your mistakes, and provide encouragement when you need it. Plus, we're all here, and I'll be worried and stressed about student teaching right here with you. :hugs:

You are going to be great!

18. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Aug 10, 2010

Ms.I ~ Here is what happened:

The one ST did not do so well in my classroom. She came from the business world thinking that teaching is going to be a piece of cake. I do not have a problem with people who change careers to become teachers but she thought that this was going to be an easy job.

First, I gave her an assignment to create a welcome back BB. She sketched out a diagram and handed it to me. It was great BB idea. I told her that she could use whatever she wanted in supplies in the classroom. She looked at me like I had 3 heads. She said, when I came up with an idea in the business world and I gave it to my team to create it. I said, when you are the teacher, you do it all. There is no one under you to do your work. She was shocked.

I told her she needed to have the BB up by the 1st day of school. We had 2 In-Service Days that she needed to be there for. It took her over 8 hours to put up the BB. I offered to help her but she felt she needed to do it herself since I told her that the teachers do it all from creating to putting it up on the board.

When we got into the swing of teaching, I told her she needed to observe for a week or two. The first thing I usually give my STs to teach is calendar. When her supervisor came, he wanted to talk to me before the observation to see how things were going. I explained that things were going very slow and that she needed a lot of support and guidance in teaching. She was not very motivated in doing what I would ask of her. I also explained that she could not keep the children’s attention during a lesson.

Another lesson she worked on was having the students put the spelling words in ABC order. I thought this will be a good one for her to do for your supervisor. So, I wrote the words down on magnetic flash cards and put them in the order on the paper. The idea was for students come to the board to put the words in ABC order. I modeled this lesson 2-3 times. Then I had her do it 2-3 times before her supervisor came. I gave her suggestions on how to do the lesson. She still had some difficulty with getting the children’s attention and keeping them motivated. I even wrote down the steps to the lesson for her to use as a guide when being observed.

So when it was time for the lesson, I helped the ST set up the spelling lesson on the board by putting the words in the order on the page in the workbook. When she was starting the lesson, the ST told the children that we were going to put the words in ABC order. However, the ST took it upon herself, to put the words in order. This defeated the whole purpose of the lesson. I had to tell her at the start that I already set-up the words for her and she was to have the children come up to put the words in order. The lesson went on and she lost the children in the first 5 minutes of the lesson. The supervisor noticed that the ST had a very difficult time with sustaining the children’s attention during the lesson. I waited about another 10 minutes before I went over to the supervisor and told him that I need to stop the lesson since the children were off and not paying attention. They also lost the purpose of the lesson. He agreed with me and said he will speak to her.

After the meeting, the supervisor told me he was going to put her in another placement to see if that would work for her. He was very apologetic to me and thanked me for having her in my classroom. He felt that she needed a lot of work and that she was not ready for student teaching. I explained that I tried everything. I did feel terrible about it but I knew she was not ready for the challenge.

I LOVE having STs and enjoy being a role model to them. I always excited to learn new things from them as they are excited about learning from me. :)

19. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Aug 10, 2010

gutterballjen ~ You will do great... Just make sure that if something does not feel right talk to your supervisor and be honest and open.

This is definitely the time to be able to try things out during ST. Just make sure you talk to both your cooperating teacher and supervisor... Good luck!:hugs:

20. allisonbeth

allisonbeth Comrade

Aug 10, 2010

I know some student teachers DO fail. However, the ones that I know who failed were either unmotivated, dangerous, or truly did not want to teach. Most of the ones I know who failed went on to get their degree in their subject matter (ex. English). However, I knew one who failed and decided not to go back to finish his subject matter requirements and just left school. He hated college, hated student teaching, and just wanted to be done.

21. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Aug 10, 2010

Do not stress about that! Def go in upbeat and ready to do your best and show your best! It's rare to fail ST- you have gone so far in the major and have made it this far, suffice to say it is rare for one to fail STing.

Take this time as an ST to build your skills. Take risks and let your CT know what you are up to and let her know you want to do whatever it is- does she have any tips? And sometimes just let her know I want to try this and see how it goes, just so she knows your trying something new not to step in unless asked. Then later get her input find out how to make it work, what she thought could be better and what worked and was good.

Take those risks now- it will help build your confidence! Good luck! I was nervous about doing music and movement with a particular group of kids, but I just let my CT know I am going to try this, I am very excited, but a little nervous, but I just want to try it and see how it goes and could we talk about it later and analyze it!? Stuff like that helped me a lot! Good luck! Enjoy it! it is an amazing time! I loved it!

22. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Aug 10, 2010

I'll have to echo everything the others have said. Unless you just get a horrible CT (which isn't unheard of), the only way you could really fail ST is if you are unmotivated or don't really want to teach...which is part of what ST is designed to determine. It gives you a taste of what it will be like to be in charge of your own classroom and to decide if that is really what you want to do for the rest of your life.

I'm pretty sure most of us were worried (ie scared stiff) those first few days of ST, but this IS a time of learning, which means it is OK to make mistakes. There is nothing wrong with making mistakes, as long as you learn from them.

Talk to your CT about anything you want to try. She might give you some suggestions on whether it will work or not. My CT was GREAT, but she also let me make my own mistakes so I could learn from them. I constantly asked her if there was a better way for me to present the material or hold their interest during a lesson. She gave me some tips for keeping the lesson flowing, but never suggested I change my teaching style. She allowed me to discover what worked best for ME, even when she would have done it a different way.

Your uni supervisor will also be your greatest ally (hopefully). If you DO get a bad CT, then your uni supervisor should have your back and be the one you can go to for advice and (possibly) a new placement.

Just relax, be yourself and don't worry about making little mistakes. Everybody does, even veteran teachers. It's alright, that's how we learn.

I'm certain you will do fine.

23. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2010

I agree with everyone. Go in with a positive attitude and you will be fine. I have had many ST and have only had to fail one. He was given a 2nd chance at another school and failed there, as well. He was allowed to graduate with an education degree, but was not given certification.

24. cmorris

cmorris Comrade

Aug 10, 2010

I know someone who did not pass his ST. He was offered the choice of doing it over at his expense in another school or getting a generic liberal arts degree. He could not have gotten an education degree or been certified. He chose to redo the ST and passed.

I only heard his side of the story, so I'm not positive as to why he failed. However, he is the only person I know who failed. And even then, it could be fixed.

25. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Aug 10, 2010

HAHA wow. These stories make me not feel so bad about the horrible bathroom break I lead today. I sort of forgot who I sent in there. :whistle: I mean...we made it down the hall and then they were at the fountain and the bathroom and the line....I DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPENED, VETERAN TEACHERS...I DON'T KNOW! :lol:

The point is, I want to do better. I think you only fail ST when you give up and don't try.

26. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2010

And then you made it back to the classroom safely. Congratulations!

27. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Aug 10, 2010

Haha! I am faaaar from a veteran teacher but I remember when I was STing bathroom break was the hardest part of my day for the first 2 weeks :lol:.

28. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2010

Well, I guess I'm a bad CT. The teachers' colleges we work with tell us that the student teachers should keep the same hours as we do (although, if I'm going to stay for 2 hours after school, I would tell my student teacher to go home). The time after school is used for de-briefing the day and talking about plans for future lessons. The ST can write the reflections that they are required to do, ask questions about the day, talk about the students, work on assignments (e.g. creating bulletin boards or gathering supplies for an art less), and work on writing lesson plans. Before school, I need to review their plans for the day--it would not be responsible of me to allow a student teacher to teach a lesson I had not reviewed, the ST needs to gather materials and ensure that everything is copied and set up before the students arrive. Our student teachers are often there before their co-operating teachers. They attend staff meetings and trainings, sit in on parent-teacher conferences, assist with clubs and teams, and participate fully in school life--they learn what the life of a teacher is all about.

To the original poster--your job during student teaching is to learn. Establish and maintain open communication with your cooperating teacher and with your faculty advisor. Ask your CT to set up a time-daily-to talk to you about your role, your strengths and the areas in which you need to improve. Recognize that there is much to be gained from every experience and you will get our what you put in. You'll be nervous, sure, but be positive about the fact that you have much to offer.

Good luck!

29. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2010

Not fair, Mrs. C-- you took the words out of my mouth.

My day is NOT just the time I spend in front of my classes. It's prep and extra help before school, and time after school, and planning lessons until I get them right and calling parents and faculty meetings and so much more. And any time I've ever had a student teacher, I've expected him or her to be there for all of it with me.

After all, I have 24 years of experience. If I still need to put in all that time, why would anyone new to teaching think that he or she needed to put in any less??

At the end of the day, it's MY class. My name is on the schedule and the report card. MY name is the one that will be used to complain to the princpal.

There's a reason that people are asked to student teach, and a reason it's sometimes hard to find Cooperating Teachers. Student teachers are still learning what they're doing. So the CT is teaching 2 classes at the same time: one in the subject matter, trying to ensure that the kids learn the material they need to know, and one in how to teach. It's a LOT more work, and a LOT more stress. Sure, it's rewarding when you see a student teacher excited about learning what the profession really entails.

I would think that a "Bad" CT would be one who didn't give his or her studen teachers an accurate look at teaching without a safety net.

30. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

Aug 10, 2010

At the first sign of danger, I would schedule a conference with your uni supervisor.

I had a terrible experience with student teaching mostly because of my CT. She made me take over the classroom way early. Although I could look over her lesson plans, they were not detailed and I did everything completely from scratch. She criticized me constantly. The last month or so she would always tell me she didn't know whether or not she would pass me and them maybe this week would make the difference. Of course I was stressed out and depressed all of the time because of this. The last week, she said told me she wouldn't sign off on me and,well, it really shouldn't be a surprise to me. I was a wreck. However at my university there was an "intervention plan" if a student teacher was in danger of failing and she never implemented this plan for me. I wrote a pretty scathing email to the director about how this plan was never implemented for me and how if I was such a terrible teacher then, why did she let me take over her class for eight weeks before state-mandated testing? (Again, in Texas it was critical TAKS time so if I was so terrible she would have taken the class over to make sure her students passed!). I am not sure if I was really was horrible or she had something against me.

I got a job WITHOUT her recommendation at a district that pays a $9,000 more than her district. So I guess I got my just desserts after all. :D

31. Teacher2Be123

Teacher2Be123 Companion

Aug 10, 2010

I actually just experienced this. I almost failed my second student teaching placement because of my CT. I was placed in a classroom with children who had just had another student teacher in there and I felt that the actual classroom teacher never "regained control" of the classroom before "throwing me to the wolves." I was at my halfway point of the placement and called my supervisor and told him that it wasn't fair to me to continue to have the stress levels I was (My first placement was AMAZING, I worked my butt off and got glowing recommendations from both my CT and supervisor and had less stress then my second placement). Thankfully I have done so well in my program and department and my department has been so impressed with everything that I have done they allowed me to switch my placement during the same semester (there was still 8 weeks left of schools left thankfully). Like a lot of people before me said..if you see that you are having difficulties talk to your supervisor immediately.

32. plurple

plurple Rookie

Aug 10, 2010

It's not about doing less. lol.

This is why I don't really visit this forum anymore. Waste of time to post anything.

33. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2010

:confused: I'm sorry if you're offended--that was not the intent. My student teaching experiences (very long ago) were useful, but I was definitely overwhelmed going in to my first teaching assignment. I hope that, for student teachers, they take as much as they can from the experience in order to prepare themselves the best they can for the realities of teaching--it's hard work and takes a lot of time to do well.

34. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 11, 2010

jenglish97, wow I wasn't expecting that in-depth synopsis, but thanks. You sound like you really tried to work w/ her, but her attitude from the beginning wasn't great at all.

At my univ, we had the chance to write an evaluation about our CTsat the end, which I'm glad we had the chance to do. I had 1 CT who did/said a couple of inappropriate things that I'd rather not say here (nothing sexual). I wrote things where hopefully he was NEVER assigned another ST ever again, but I'll never know if he had another one or not.

35. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 11, 2010

Don't come to these boards and complain about doing the necessary work that it takes to teach. Don't come and complain about something we all have done and survivied and is necessary. I'm with Alice and Mrs. C. us old timers will support you when you need and call your BS when it's necessary!

36. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2010

That's a huge relief to hear.

But realize that all we know is what you post. These are the words YOU used-- before you deleted them-- though the bold is mine: "I had a bad CT. She was demanding me to be there the entire time she was (an hour before school, an hour or TWO after it was over) and to see all of my lesson plans. After a bit I told her it was too much to be at school for so long and go write a detailed plan at home and do it all over again and again daily."

Sorry, I still stand by my post. Those are the words you used to tell your story. Based on THOSE words, your cooperating teacher did exactly what she should have. If those words didn't portray the actual story, then use the words that will.

You're a new teacher this fall. We've tried to help you as we try to help anyone who asks. I emailed you all my geometry notes, people here tried to help you with your demo lesson, We helped you "sell yourself" (your words) for an interview and a number of us have answered your questions-- though I see you've deleted those as well. That's a shame, since someone else might have been able to use the help that others offered you. Now, minus your questions, the answers don't make as much sense. As teachers, we would prefer that people searching for help have an easy time finding it and understanding it.

I think you'll see, once you begin teaching on your own, what a big favor your cooperating teacher tried to do by giving you a realistic view of our profession.

37. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 11, 2010

When I was student teaching, I was usually at school before my cooperating teacher got there, and stayed long after she left. Writing plans, grading papers, preparing materials. My CT required long, detailed plans from me, even though the college did not. But she did it because she saw a weakness in my presentation and wanted me to think through every little thing! It made me such a better teacher, even if I did resent it a little at the time! I get the impression that plurple is young and will likely grow out of this attitude very quickly during his/her first year teaching.

38. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2010

To get back to the original point, I think that most people don't discover until student teaching just how much goes into a typical day for a teacher.

But if you go into it prepared to work hard and learn, the benefits will be HUGE once you're handed a contract, a textbook and a syllabus.

Don't worry about failing. Instead, concentrate on making good use out of this time-- your only chance to teach with the aid of a safety net.

Always have a notebook with you-- take notes on everything you see. Even those things that don't work particularly well-- see if you can get what the teacher was going for, and why it didn't go well.

Dress and act as a professional-- professional wardrobe, appearance (sorry, no gum!), and behavior. It's tough in the beginning, particularly if you're teaching high school, to feel as though you're one of the adults when you're sometimes closer in age to the kids. But it's an important distinction.

Ask questions. Not the "why don't you do this my way?" variety, but the "why do you do things your way?" type.

Ask how the CT wants you to proceed. Does he or she want you to spend some time observing first? Great-- see how he or she begins a new year and gets all the routines started. Does he or she want you to dive right in? Great-- make sure you're prepared and over prepared.

KNOW your content!!! (Admit it-- you guys were waiting for me to get to that!!!!!) You have no idea how excruciating it is to be sitting in the back of a room, listening as your class is taught something WRONG! Once you know today's content, you've just hit the tip of the iceberg. You need to know what they learned yesterday and last week, and what they'll be learning tomorrow and next week.

And hang in there. Student teaching isn't about trying to torture new entrants into our profession. It's about giving them their first real glimpse into the nuts and bolts of being a teacher.

39. Miz_Aich

Miz_Aich Rookie

Aug 11, 2010

I don't know where you are from or what school you attend, so I can't say for sure but when I did my student teaching (eons ago) it was explained to us that failing would not happen. The purpose of student teaching is to put you with some who will show you how to improve upon your skills and between the master teacher and the university supervisor, if there was ever any thought that you would not be successful you would be pulled, whatever skills needed fine tuning would be fine tuned for the rest of the current semester and you would student teach the next semester. In my 3 years at the university and the dozens upon dozens of teacher friends I have, none of us failed or had to repeat any of our student teaching semesters.

40. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Aug 11, 2010

When I student taught there was another ST at my school that rarely showed up and eventually her CT failed her. Did my school care? No, they asked her to do an additional two weeks and then she passed and got her degree.

I definitely don't agree with that because it makes it seem like it was all a big joke. I showed up every day and worked my butt of, she showed up once in a blue moon and still graduated with her degree and certification.

41. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2010

when I student taught I was told by my university to get to the classroom BEFORE the CT and stay at least as long as she did afterschool. I was told to make friends with the custodians and secretary, thank everyone for anything they did to help me, always talk positively of my experience, and to make myself indispensable. I had lesson plans written the week before teaching, had all my materials ready, designed new units, supplemented what the CT was doing, volunteered for extra duties, and taught kids in the way they needed to be taught. I hung with them on the playground during recess duty, the kids taught me jumprope routines and rap songs. It was hard work and a tremendous learning experience.

As a mentor teacher, I have had 5 student teachers- some good, some who shouldn't be in a classroom. The good were creative, energetic, had everything ready when it was time to teach, were flexible, positive and jumped right in. The not so good were hesistant, afraid, didn't have their materials, needed to be told what to teach, how to teach, here's what you'll need to do, why don't I just write the plan for you, heck, why don't I just teach it for you,,, and in one case dressed like she was going out clubbing.

As a CT, it's difficult to hand over the reins if one doesn't feel confidence in a student teacher. It's okay to make mistakes. It's not okay to not be a professional.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.