What happens before the teaching year begins?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by SF_Giants66, May 19, 2014.

1. SF_Giants66

SF_Giants66 Cohort

May 19, 2014

Next summer I'm hopefully going to have my teaching job secured. We have career fairs at our college and many of the school systems give job offers by around spring break for the next school year.

However, given that I'm no longer going to be working full time, it is unlikely that I will be able to find something full time temporarily, so that leaves a whole summer without sufficient income.

To make up for this, I wanted to serve as a full time camp counselor for the entire summer somewhere on the east coast, and get back from camp right as the first day for teachers begins at the schools. This would mean I would have from May when the semester ends, until around the middle of June to tie all the loose ends, and literally no time to get anything together until teacher workdays begins.

Other than getting supplies ready and other clerical based tasks, what do you really need to do in the summer to prepare?

3. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

May 19, 2014

for my first year, I was hired in early June as a math teacher but was not given a schedule with specific classes and students until we reported back so I did nothing other than the mundane tasks that you mentioned. As a result, I was planning almost day by day that first year.

4. Robert Cox12

Robert Cox12 Rookie

May 19, 2014

Hey i am confuse and need guidance that what sort of activities are require in becoming effective teacher

5. EmptyClassroom

EmptyClassroom Rookie

May 19, 2014

Into ahead and plan out the units for each class I teach (high school, multiple preps) and create lesson plans in the school's format for as many as possible. It saves me time later on; for example, I planned out the unit I'm now teaching back in July of 2013. During testing time, it's a lifesaver to already have all the resources located and prep work done! I also go ahead and write the syllabi for all classe. We're on block scheduling, so I have new classes starting on a staggered schedule all year.

6. EmptyClassroom

EmptyClassroom Rookie

May 19, 2014

Sorry...auto-correct caught me again. I GO ahead...

7. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 19, 2014

I would be very uncomfortable not planning at all and just showing up on the first day to teach. I'd feel very unprepared even if I had the weekend before.
    I will do what I did the beginning of this year:
    - planned out in details of the first 2-3 weeks of lessons.
    - planned out vaguely for the next few months, all the way through December. This means I decided on the essay they would write and I also chose the novel we would read, and got all the supplies, teacher guide, etc, and then a month later started to reading the novel and started figuring out what we would do.
    - I even had a vague idea what we would do in the spring.

Of course all this was flexible, but I had the first 3 weeks done. I didn't want to start the year with planning every night. I knew I would be tired and would have a lot to deal with, so I wanted to be as prepared as I could be.

8. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 20, 2014

You can start reading up on different types of classroom management and figure out what styles seem to fit your belief system best. Knowing where you stand, what you expect, and how you plan to handle the various sorts of situations pitched your way will put you light years ahead of most newbie teachers.

9. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

May 20, 2014

First, I would wait until you know the exact job you will get--what school, what grade, and what subjects. Then, I would find out what materials are available. Then, I would plan, plan, plan. Yes, I would go to the pool, go on vacation, but I would also make sure I was as prepared as possible for those first 2-3 weeks.