What happened to the holidays?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by scholarteacher, Dec 6, 2013.

1. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Dec 6, 2013

Does it seem that the holidays have become a dog and pony show? I think they were intended to celebrate whatever faith we observe and enjoy family. But we are looked down upon if we miss this performance or that party. We spend $100s or $1000s of dollars, bowing down to the stores and the advertising media. Then at school, we hear, Oh, we just found out from the district--we have to have this and this and this done by December whatever date. Why can't we stop this madness and step back and enjoy the holidays? Does anyone else sense this? :yawn:

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 6, 2013

That hasn't been my experience.

4. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Dec 6, 2013

Me either. I've actually been pretty happy with how low-key these holidays have been. I was (still am) annoyed by the stores opening on Thanksgiving, but honestly since no one in my direct contact works retail and no one I know actually shopped on Thursday, it didn't affect me. So there's been no drama, no rushing, no fuss, just peace and calm (so far! :p)

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 6, 2013

I agree. I was happy to not hear Christmas music from a local radio station Nov 1 this year though.

6. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Dec 6, 2013

I'm loving this holiday season! We've been pretty low key. I spent too much money on gifts, like I always do, because I love choosing things I know my friends and family will enjoy, not that I feel pressure to outdo anyone or pressure to buy the hottest items.

Our state is backing off of Common Core implementation, so our district has, as well. No benchmark tests before Christmas! We've had fun things after school each week, and are winding down into exam prep.

7. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Dec 6, 2013

I didn't even put a tree up this year. I thought I was going through a mid-life crisis. I am sort of glad to know others are feeling the same way. I'm just TIRED of it all. I just want to see my family. Don't care a bit about decorations or presents.

8. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Dec 6, 2013

That was me last year! I didn't decorate or anything! I had almost no holiday spirit. This year, I did, so I decorated. Some years I do, some years I don't. Last year, I didn't have the energy.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 6, 2013

No, I'm having a great holiday season. Tomorrow I'm having a house full of friends and family for a party.

Work is work, not the same as fun. As much as I love my job, my holiday celebrations for the most part take place outside of work... if you don't count little details like the Santa stickers going on the tests I gave today.

As to the money, yep, I overspend every year. I tend to be pretty cheap with my kids all year, but I love going totally overboard at Christmas. It gives me such joy to see the pleasure it gives them.

But in between all that, I think we do a decent job of remembering the reason for the season. In fact, I think we do a pretty good job of that all year long. We're Catholic, and celebrate the birth of a Savior. It would ring pretty hollow if we forgot all that once the Christmas tree came down.

Last year was a rough one-- the first anniversary of my mother in law's death, and so many friends had lost everything. This year is shaping up to be more of a celebration of how far so many have come. I'm loving all the lights, enjoying the wrapping and the planning.

10. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Dec 6, 2013

I must add that I'm only in my (very) early 30's, so I HOPE that I am not having a mid-life crisis....already.... :)

11. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Dec 6, 2013

Our family has made a lot of changes recently. I don't know how much decorating I'll do because DH won't be around to help that much. But I'm ok with that. The budget has more room this year so my stress is so much lighter. Love the internet! I became a great aunt in September and again any minute now. Family is just what it's all about this year!

12. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Dec 6, 2013

We haven't put up a tree for over 5 years ... our dog, when left alone, took off all of the tree ornaments she could reach and broke them all. Putting up a tree would mean changing the dog's routine when we aren't home ... we've just never taken the time to see if we could come up with a solution. It kind of bothers my husband that our home doesn't look "Christmas-y," but it doesn't bother me in the least.

I buy gifts for my husband and parents. My husband and I fill stockings for both the dogs.

I "Adopt an Angel" every year and buy gifts for him/her (a student in our district who wouldn't get gifts otherwise, it is all anonymous). I will go this weekend to buy her wish list (coat, clothes, under garments, socks, PJs, books, DVDs, make-up, smelly stuff).

Monday, after school, I will take some StuCo students shoping for the "Adopted Angel" our group adopted. Her wish list is clothes, undergarments, socks, Barbies, Monster High Dolls. I tell my students the maximum amount to spend and then let them choose all of the gifts. It is SO cool to watch them shop!

We will go to my Mom's home on Christmas (they sold the family farm and moved to town, this will be the first Christmas not at the farm). No gifts, just dinner, drinks, cards, laughter. It is always an AWESOME day.

So, while I don't get into the Christmas deco, and the Christmas music, etc. I really enjoy the giving and the family time.

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 6, 2013

Same here. The holidays is what each individual makes of it, no matter how crazy, commercialized, etc. our society tries to turn it into. I personally can block all that out. If I want to shop, I shop. If I don't, I don't. I've been doing it that way my whole life.

The ONLY thing that ruined my TG break is grad school because I was so bogged down w/ HW/studying, but that will temporarily be over during my Christmas break! I always donate some toys & put some kind of Christmas decorations up. I had a colorful wreath on my door since the 1st.

14. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Dec 7, 2013

I care less and less about the holidays as I get older (I'm in my early 20s). Probably because I've been in the "get as far away from the family as possible" mood for a few years.

15. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 8, 2013

We have not put up decorations or a tree in years. But, this year our GS lives with us. He seems a bit antsy for a tree and outdoor décor. I loosened up the purse strings and bought extra nice gifts this year. I just about killed myself cooking Thanksgiving dinner, so I am not cooking Christmas dinner. My GS will cook the ham, and I will buy cold side dishes to serve. I want to have time to spend with my family.