What Grade Would You Choose?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TeacherBug08, Dec 14, 2013.

1. TeacherBug08

TeacherBug08 Companion

Dec 14, 2013

A new elementary school is being built and I have just applied for a position there. An insider told me that if a candidate is excellent the principal will ask you what grade you really want. Of course I am not sure if this will happen or not to me, but if it does I want to be prepared. I know it all depends on the person on which grade level is the best fit. However, I really don't know between these three- 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. I have loved every minute I have spent in each. I am currently a 1st grade teacher. I do like 1st grade due to the literacy aspect of it all, but I don't think it is the right fit for me. I think I want more independence from the students. Anyway I just wanted to get some opinions on if you were in this spot which one would you pick and why?

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Dec 14, 2013

I'm assigned to third grade... I've worked with kiddos in every grade, 1-6, and third is probably my favorite. The kids are (eventually) able to work independently and the curriculum starts ramping up (love the third grade social studies and science curriculum here in Virginia), but the kids are still sweet and you don't have the behavior issues... although you can have girls that start getting puberty hormones.

4. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Dec 14, 2013

I've taught second and third. I am currently teaching 3rd (departmentalized, ELA only). I love my 3rd graders and only having two subjects to plan for, but I would go back to 2nd in a heartbeat to avoid the headache of standardized testing!

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 14, 2013

What grade are you currently teaching, Teacher Bug? Or at which grade level do you have the most experience?

6. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Dec 14, 2013

I would choose 2nd. I'm in 1st right now as well, and although I LOVE teaching first, I think it would be nice to have more independence. I really liked how my first graders were at the end of the year last year, and second would START at that point, which would be nice. I love teaching earlier literacy. 2nd grade really dives into comprehension, which I would love. Also....NO TESTING, which is a new phenomenon in CA. We are FINALLY not testing 2nd grade for the first time.

7. TeacherBug08

TeacherBug08 Companion

Dec 14, 2013

I am currently teaching

first grade..this is my first year. I have had past field experiences in 2nd, 3rd and 4th. I have done quite a bit in 2nd and 4th though. I really have no idea which one is a better suite for me. I think I am leaning towards 3rd and 4th though.

8. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Dec 14, 2013

I would choose second. I liked first and am now in third, but second is my favorite. I like that age and the curriculum.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 14, 2013

Ask for second if you have a choice....more independence than first and you can still use some of the literacy materials and resources that you love in first.

10. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Dec 14, 2013

I would go for grade 2 in a heart beat. I love grade 1 but they are at their BEST in June... it would be great to start at that point in September. (I'm hoping for grade 2 next year...)

11. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Dec 14, 2013

I have only done 2nd and 3rd...so I'd probably pick 4th. :p

12. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Dec 14, 2013

I've taught 3rd and 4th, I'm happy in 3rd now but would like to loop this year because I love my class so much. I used to want to teach 1st, but I think after a few years with 3rd/4th I wouldn't be able to handle the lack of independence in 1st.

13. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Dec 14, 2013

I have taught 1st and 2nd and I like 2nd best. Here are my reasons, 2nd graders are a little more independent than 1st graders. If this makes sense, you have to work harder in 1st because the students are still beginning learners. When 1st graders enter the school year, they are still kindergartners in a sense, which was the hardest adjustment for me because my 1st teaching job was in 2nd grade and it was from January to May, so I had mature 2nd graders. They are learning to read, learning to test, and so many new things to them. They are adjusting to not having nap-time. I love my 2nd graders, but I also loved my first graders.

14. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Dec 14, 2013

I love third graders, but if I was starting over and had the choice, I'd pick second due to NO TESTING. My third graders are wonderful, and they typically do very well on the tests. However, I'd appreciate a break from the pressure of it all.

15. AlexaD

AlexaD Companion

Dec 15, 2013

I love 2nd, 3rd and 4th as well and was hoping to land a job in one of those grades. I got 4th and am really enjoying the independence of the kids and the curriculum of the grade. They are highly curious and still want to please, for the most part. They have also settled down a bit from when they first started. I feel they came in as third graders and have now transitioned into 4th graders capable of handling work and independence better.

16. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 15, 2013

I love 2nd grade, but if you want more independence I would probably choose a higher grade.

17. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Dec 15, 2013

I teach 4th, and I like it, but I'm not as happy as I could be in a higher grade. I'd pick 5th if it were my choice at elementary.

18. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Dec 15, 2013

Kindergarten, first, third, and sixth are the grades I like working with best :).

I have the most experience with kindergarten and third though (and oddly, eighth, but that's from tutoring and not teaching).

19. Mrs Teacher

Mrs Teacher Rookie

Dec 22, 2013

I've always said 4th is the best grade because they are still innocent but they are becoming more mature/innocent. The curriculum is reasonable.

I've been intrigued by 3rd because of the curriculum. I feel like it's still connected to the basics that we want students to master... laying the foundation... and I would love to be responsible for laying that academic foundation so they move to 4th even more prepared. I've never taught 3rd so I have no experience with their independence/maturity.

I think i'd cry if I taught 2nd. I don't think I have patience for kids that young lol

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  20. amethyst

amethyst Companion

Dec 22, 2013

If I were you, I'd pick 2nd. It seems to make the most sense. Since you have experience with 1st, you'll know exactly where they are coming from, and since you're looking to work with kids with just a little more independence, it will be a perfect match all around, and you will do a great job!

If it was me, I'd also pick 2nd, because all of my experience is with the youngest grade levels, so I think it is always best to stick with where I have the most experience.

Good luck!

21. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Dec 22, 2013

4th is amazing! It's the best balance. They are independent but still wide eyed, if that makes sense. It's a lot of fun.

22. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Dec 22, 2013

I like third and fourth.