What Grade/Subject Would You NEVER Teach?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms. I, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Nov 6, 2010

I've taught every grade from 6-12th and almost every course in the History Department and I've taught Algebra I, Geometry, and English 9 a few times. I started out with a History and English certification and added Math about 10 years ago in case I ever lost my job.

Within my certifications, I would teach any History or English course. However, with Math I would prefer to stay with Algebra II and below because Pre-Calculus is where my comfort starts to go down.

I would also never teach Elementary School.

2. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 6, 2010

I have taught kinder, 2nd, middle school, and will be starting at a high school Monday. When I started out, I said nothing above 4th grade. Well, after teaching kinder, I wanted to move up. 2nd was better. Tutored 4th/5th graders and loved it. I really loved my middle school group, but after working with them I knew I wanted to go to the high school level. I can't wait!!!!

I also said I would never teach math.....welllllllllllllll, guess who's going to be supporting special ed students in math classes and may have to get her math 8-12 certification?????

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  3. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Nov 6, 2010

Kindergarten. I would NEVER teach Kindergarten.

4. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Nov 6, 2010

never say never...I said all the time I would never in a million years teach middle school and here I am loving it :)

5. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Nov 6, 2010

Elementary school or Math.

6. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Nov 6, 2010

I strongly prefer 3rd through 6th. I'm not patient enough for the younger ones, including the curriculum, but I'd certainly do it until I could get my preferred grade.

I could never, under any circumstances go above 6th grade. I don't know how to relate or "click" with teenagers, even when I was a teenager myself. And again, not patient enough for that age group. I did not have the average teenager years, so I'd rather never revisit teen years in any school capacity.

I'd take Junior College or Entry-level 4 year college students as well, maybe with more experience I would try teaching college part-time, but I'd always prefer 3rd through 6th graders full time.
    Love those ages.

7. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Nov 7, 2010

I teach K and could never see myself teaching any grade over 3rd grade... unless it was adults - that I could handle. It's the hormonal years (4th-12th) I couldn't deal with. :D

8. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Nov 7, 2010

Kindergarten!!!! They are cute, adorable, and precious when you can be with them one on one. 30 of them in one classroom?? Can make me run fast as a bullet!!!

9. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 7, 2010

Those little ankle biters scare me too!

10. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Nov 7, 2010

I'll take the "ankle biters" :lol: I would be out of my element in HS math. I have taught 4th graders and loved it and them. I have also taught 6th-8th language arts. I would again if needed but I won't make it a request! :)

11. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 7, 2010

I had dinner last night with a kindergarten teacher, and another person at the table asked, "So what do you two teach?" We both answered at the same time, her kindergarten, me middle school...we both then turned simultaneously and said "oh, wow". It was funny, and made me think of this thread!

To each his own! Thank goodness we all have our strengths...there are a lot of kids out there!

12. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Nov 7, 2010

I'd never teach anything above 6th grade. My certificate only goes up to 8th in the private settings anyway. I simply do not have the patience for jr. high hormones/attitudes. And I hate science. I'll teach it, but I don't like it at all (except for outer space/solar system and ecosystems.)