What foods do you love / avoid due to calories?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Linguist92021, Sep 5, 2015.

1. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 5, 2015

I lost 33 lbs between November and May and have since kept it off. I did that by counting calories (on an app on my phone, it was easy) and of course exercising. But the loss really came from the calorie deficiency.

During the summer I relaxed, didn't really count the calories but tried to be careful. At the most I gained 5 lbs at one point (in 3 weeks) but then lost it in about 3 weeks.

Now that school has started I am back to be being disciplined, but I find it harder. I always seem to be hungry. It was like this in the beginning.

So some foods are my best friend, because they're low calorie but satisfy cravings or fill me up, and others are just not worth it.
    I'm trying to get more variety.

Low calorie:
    - green beans (in a can). I know it's not best for nutrition, because it's in a can, but I can add some fat free Italian dressing, even eat 2 cans, and I'm good lol. (100 cal. total) especially in the evening when i just have to eat something, but that would mean I'm going over my limit.
    - zucchini. The best. Very low calories and very tasty
    - cabbage and cauliflower are the same as above
    - low fat or fat free cottage cheese mixed with fat free yogurt
    - chicken, pork, fish. I did not know pork has the same calories as chicken, which is very low (of course as long as it's lean)
    - can of tuna

The "enemy"
    - oatmeal. Oatmeal wouldn't be bad in itself, filling and nutritious, but by the time you add things to make it better, it's just too much. The other day i decided to make oatmeal for lunch (for school) I only added dried cranberries and raisins, very small portion, and by the time I was done it was almost 500 calories! My port / rice / beans lunch was half of that. And let's not even talk about adding nuts, chia seeds, or milk.
    - dried fruit
    - cheese, I love it, but it's just not worth it
    - crackers. If in moderation, it's great, but I want to have a nice portion with cheese, it's just not worth the 400 calories.
    - sandwiches. For me, the bread itself has too much calories, and it's not even as filling as the same calories of potatoes or rice.
    - anything prepackaged, either frozen or boxed. Luckily I don't really eat these, but for example a hot pocket is just not worth it.
    - fruit juice. A glass of cranberry juice is over 100 calories. Then I might as well eat a banana.
    - olive oil. It's very healthy, and everything, but one teeny tiny teaspoon is 120 calories.
    - pasta :(
    - hummus. I love it but by the time you add the oil and the Tahini sauce, it's too much. I only eat it once in a big while.

What would you add?

ms.irene likes this.
  3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 5, 2015

I have lost over 50 lbs since April, so I am also very careful what I eat. I like everything on your low calorie list except the cottage cheese. Have never been able to get past the smell to even eat it. I pair my yogurt with frozen fruit.

I bring Belvita Bites for breakfast at school. They are 230 calories in a pack, but has about 48 pieces so I can munch them at my desk for a while and they keep me satisfied all morning.

My best diet trick while I am working is to eat very little during the day and save my calories for after school/evening.

4. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Sep 5, 2015

I get the bread that is 45 calories a slice for those days I crave the carbs.

I love cucumber with a Laughing Cow cheese wedge.

5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 5, 2015

I love the laughing cow cheese, but I can never eat just one, so the calories add up.

Another loved but must be avoided food: coconut milk. It's rich, tastes wonderful and full of calories!! I'd love to eat cereal with coconut milk, I had it once and it was awesome. Now I just add a few teaspoons to things, like coffee, etc.

6. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 5, 2015

7. a2z

a2z Maven

Sep 5, 2015

I've lost 15+ this year. I found a bread that is 80 cal/2 slice. It is not as cheap as the 99 cent store brand sandwich bread but it allows for more options when making meals.

I don't avoid cheese, but I've changed how I eat it and what type I eat. I still eat cheese but I control the portion. A little shredded/crumbled cheese can go a long way for flavor as can very thinly sliced cheese.

For me it comes down to portion control, trade offs, and frequency. No food is off limits for me.

For example, one slice of bread and a thinly sliced cheddar cheese square in the toaster is less than 100 calories. Eaten slowly with a glass of water makes it filling.

My true enemy would be pasta. Between the pasta, sauce, and the portions which I can't control, I always go way overboard. I still have it but I "pay" for it later by having a very hungry, low cal day afterwards.

I do agree, though, if nuts, avocado, grains, etc are added into the diet the portions must be so tiny that sometimes it makes me wonder if it is worth it. Many of those foods are high in nutrients and should be eaten. So, adding a 1/2 portion in a salad with a spritz dressing can be an item that is within caloric limits.

8. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 5, 2015

I eat the same thing for breakfast everyday: Cheerios with unsweetened almond milk and sliced banana. I could eat Cheerios 365 days/year and never get tired of 'em. For lunch, I eat a salad: greens, carrots, snow peas, & cherry tomatoes. Then, I add black beans or a small chicken breast (sliced). I also eat a 100 calorie greek yogurt mid-morning and a 100 calorie pack of almonds in the mid-afternoon.

Additionally, I drink about 5-6 bottles of water/day.

My dinner options vary greatly. I normally cook a full meal and don't count calories.

My biggest vice is ice cream. Actually, desserts in general are my biggest weakness! I love sweets! :wub:

9. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 5, 2015

Oh, sweets are the least of my worries. I probably eat ice cream maybe 3 times / year. Same thing with cookies and other sweets.

I just ate a mixture of fat free vanilla yogurt + low fat Ricotta cheese + fat free cottage cheese, each 1 serving. It tasted really good and filled me up. Came to 290 calories, but not bad. I would have loved to add some bananas, chia seeds, dried cranberries and walnuts, but then the 290 would have most likely increased to 600. Just not worth it :(

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 6, 2015

I don't count calories, but focus on eating clean as much as possible. My diet consists of lean protein (chicken, turkey, lean beef and pork, Greek yogurt, eggs), veggies, fruit and healthy fats (avocado, seeds, olive oil). I avoid most grains, added sugar and any preservatives.

11. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Sep 6, 2015

I've lost 21 pounds so far this year using the 21 day fix. It's not about counting calories. You get so many containers each day. Like I get 5 greens, which are for veggies, 4 yellows for carbs, etc... It's all about eating clean, whole foods. I stick to it about 90% of the time and then have a treat sometimes. It's been the easiest way for me to lose weight. It has an exercise component too but I do my own workouts. So very effective! And I'm almost never hungry because it really is a lot of food!

12. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Sep 6, 2015

I like to bake especially as it gets colder. I do a lot of subbing yogurt or applesauce for oil/ butter. I do reduce sugar amounts. Hubby uses dark choc brownie mix with black beans. Yummy. Sometimes topped with ice cream sometimes Greek yogurt.

YoungTeacherGuy...good thing I don't live closer.. I love to share the sweets we make! Lol!! Banana stuff especially!!

13. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 6, 2015

And then there's the coffee and creamer question. I make espresso at home, and as it's stronger it somehow needs more creamer.
    I have experimented with many things to keep the calories down and I alternate between quite a few things based on my mood or willpower.

Regular creamer has 35 calories / teaspoon and for the coffee I take with me it literally needs 8 teaspoons for it to taste good. That's a lot of calories! Half the time I still do it, and just reduce calories elsewhere.
    I do also use the sugar free version of the creamer (doesn't taste very good though), it's only 15 calories / teaspoon, so that's a huge difference. Sometimes I even add Truvia (which I love).
    Then I still add milk, I always drink fat free, but it's still 90 calories / cup, but almond milk is only 30.

So I kinda mix and match to make it work.

This sounds like madness, but if you count calories, it really does come down to reducing the calories, and I know a lot of them are in my coffee. In fact, in the past few years, when I was trying to lose weight so hard, and nothing worked, I even gained, a large part of the problem was the creamer calories.
    Now that I know, I make sacrifices here and there, but I also often indulge and deal with it :)

14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Sep 6, 2015

I don't count calories but mostly try to stay away from carbs and sugar. I really miss pizza. I could eat it every day. Now I allow myself to have it maybe once every 3-4 months. I also love desserts but try to make alternatives like cookies with almond flour instead of regular flour and a sugar alternative like truvia/stevia. Sometimes it's not the calories that are the demons but certain foods trigger some people to eat more.

15. a2z

a2z Maven

Sep 6, 2015

This is so true for some people.

16. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 7, 2015

I was blessed with an insane metabolism rate in my teens and twenties. Now that I am solidly in my 30s, things are starting to slow down and I have to be more aware of what I'm eating. I tried a calorie app but it only worked for a short while. Next week I'm embarking on the Whole 30 plan and I'm super excited to 'reset' my body and hopefully eliminate those sugar cravings! I'll be giving up: sugar, alcohol, grains and legumes in exchange for healthy, lean, meats, veggies, fruit and nuts for 30 days. No cheats!

17. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Sep 7, 2015

If you need some inspiration, check out this guy's blog. He admits he is addicted to sugar so he completely eliminated it from his diet since even a tiny bit would derail his progress. He is just amazing!

18. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Sep 7, 2015

I am attempting to loose weight as well. I am not big on exercise, so my only way to do it is cutting the calories. My first big vice is Coke. This summer I was very diligent about not drinking sodas. I did very well. In fact if I try to drink a soda now I can really only drink about two sips and then I am done! I have lost a few pounds but a week of eating out the first week of school totally negated what I lost. Now that the kids are here all day long I don't have the time to go eat out. So I'm trying the weight watchers meals, fruits, veges for lunch. My husband is a huge meat and potato kind of guy for dinner. I couldn't feed him anything healthy. He would say I was trying to kill him by starvation. He works outside all day and is NON stop so anything he eats just comes right off of him. So I am going to try just eating way smaller portions. We will see how that goes. I am used to loading up my plate. I don't want to be rail thin like I was before babies. I just want to be skinnier than I am now.

19. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Sep 7, 2015

I gave up trying to count calories a long time ago. I try to eat as fresh as possible. No canned veggies or fruits. I drink as much water as possible, and try to add variety with fruits. Over time I've slowly eliminated some things like butter, but every now and then I'll have a Dr. Pepper or chocolate. My philosophy on food is my refrigerator should but full and the cabinets not so much.

20. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Sep 7, 2015

None. About six years ago I got to the heaviest I've ever been and lost all the weight (30 lbs) watching portions. I'll never give up cupcakes, I'll never give up cream cheese, but I also won't eat those things every day and when I do eat them I eat a small amount.

I suppose the only thing I really stay away from is fast food. But that's more because I don't like it and not because of calories.

21. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Sep 7, 2015

I know the bummer is it's going to get cold...so all the fresh stuff for cheap is gone. We try to stock up though. We pick lots of blueberries which are frozen, raspberries, strawberries, green beans. We bought a food saver so we have used that for sweet corn & our green beans to freeze. So I will be interested in trying those this winter. My aunt & uncle have a pear tree so I will be making pear sauce.

22. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 7, 2015

I totally could've written this!

I have a small frame. However, when I gain weight, it goes straight to my belly--nowhere else. So it looks strange to have super skinny arms and legs with a slight "pooch" in front. Maybe I'm just being too self conscious, though.

23. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 8, 2015

I love food way to much to give up those foods that I enjoy so I tend to just watch my portions and not eat fast food. My biggest vice is Sonic sweet tea. I'm trying to wean myself off of it again (I had been doing so well!) but I'm having a hard time. I don't mind working out so that part is not a problem for me. Just having to get back into the routine from doing nothing all summer.

24. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Sep 8, 2015

Stg... I love sweet tea... Luckily not up here except those few fast food chains. Have you mixed sweet & regular? I have made decaf sun tea all summer. I will mix a little Snapple peach tea to give it a different flavor every once in awhile.

25. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 8, 2015

I'm starting to do that Diz and to order a med instead of a large.

26. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Sep 8, 2015

I have to do that anyway most of the time because I don't drink it that often. Lol. Actually we go to arby's & get their peach green tea. I love to bring it home and mix with my regular... Lol!!!

27. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 9, 2015

A few weeks ago I discovered pork. Up until now I never really liked it, because I always thought it must be full of calories due to the fat content (think bacon). I didn't know pork can be lean and have the same calories as chicken (120 / 4 oz, which is awesome)
    I've been buy the prepacked chicken from Costco for the past 6 months and got tired of it, then started eating steaks (I ate a lot in 1 month, I love it, but it's much higher in calories).
    Now, that i discovered pork, I'll be buy it for a while. I really the taste and the texture.

Another favorite, eggwhites. You can eat as much as you want, no fat, no carbs, no cholesterol, low in calories and high in protein.

28. Koriemo

Koriemo Comrade

Sep 10, 2015

I definitely limit my foods based on calories. The two things that I ALWAYS want to buy but avoid are little containers of yogurt and granola bars. Those things aren't necessarily bad, but I like the super sweet/sugary ones.

My go-to lately has been Wasa crackers. They only have 30 calories per slice, and I like them better than bread. I top them with hummus, tomato, and cucumber. Sometimes I add avocado and/or turkey slices if I want something more hearty.

Avocado is the one thing that I limit because of calories. It's healthy... but I can't really do portion control with guacamole.

29. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Sep 11, 2015

My doctor took me off carbs of any kind 2 years ago. That's not to say I haven't had an occasional carb. I lost 85 pounds but have gained back around 25 because the docs can't find the right balance in my medication. But it's better than it used to be.

30. melnm

melnm Companion

Sep 11, 2015

Thanks for the link to this blog! I'm trying to cut way down on sugar and need inspiration. I eat way too much of it. I have completely eliminated it from my coffee, which was huge for me. I started right before school started. I still have some, but only once in awhile and intentionally, not just because I am craving it, which I was bad about before.

He also has some good meal ideas, which I need. My husband and I are both trying to eat better and need some new ideas!

stream26 likes this.
  31. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Sep 11, 2015

Yeah, for some people carbs are really the enemy no matter how many calories you eat. My husband can't eat many carbs. He has low carb bread for lunch and that's it really for the day. By default I eat few carbs also (we make zucchini noodles, etc). Some people really just can't eat certain foods even if they stay low calorie.

32. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Sep 23, 2015

My doctor took me off all carbs--including fruit--in August, 2013. I lost 81 pounds but have gained about 20 back due to an imbalance in my meds. I do splurge from time to time, but pretty much live off eggs, meat, and salads.

33. stream26

stream26 Guest

Jun 3, 2016

For me best piece of equipment to lose fat : vegetables.
    Add a decent amount of proteins and fats, plenty of fiber, and limit your intake of sugar, and you've got it! And unless you're willing to invest a amount of money for a home gym your best bet is to start off at a commercial gym.

34. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 3, 2016

Since the last time I posted in this thread I am happy to report that I'm now at my goal weight and lost almost 30lbs total. I still stay away from sugar/carbs most of the time but I have adopted an 80/20 philosophy meaning that about 80% of the time I eat very clean (no processed foods, no added sugar, etc.) and 20% of the time I indulge in treats. Some weeks it turns out more like 10% because my tastes have change and for dessert I'd rather have plain yogurt with fruit rather than a cupcake.