What exactly is the point of Wordle?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Caesar753, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 23, 2012

Does anyone use it? What is it for?

3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Sep 24, 2012

I've seen it used in the first week with an icebreaker activity. Other than that, I can't see a productive use.

4. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Sep 24, 2012

I used it to show main ideas in a text. It is very dependent on the text if that actually works.

5. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Sep 24, 2012

You can put in a website address too, to see what it is mostly about (or just what words are mentioned the most).

It goes back to infomation organization and tagging.

6. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Sep 24, 2012

I like to use it as a more playful word bank. I also used to project it onto my board and play a game with it.

But in truth I don't use it that much.

7. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Sep 24, 2012

It is also useful for showing students in a visual way the words they overuse while writing essays.

8. 1cubsfan

1cubsfan Companion

Sep 24, 2012

Rockyguy-

I like that idea! Students can copy and paste their essays into it to see overused words. Other than this, it doesn't seem too productive.

9. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Sep 24, 2012

I used it last year at the beginning of the year to have students come up with words that paint a picture of who they are. We printed them out and put them out as a "get to know you" activity. I've thought as an alternative activity for children who struggle with writing in formal sentences. They can just convey their ideas with single words and make it look dynamic.

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 24, 2012

You could survey your students about a number of things...what they love about their school, for example. Someone would enter the words and the ones mentioned most frequently would be larger. Just a fun little thing.

I have never used it academically.

11. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Sep 24, 2012

I use it before we read Frankenstein. I have each student give me one word that they think will be most important to the book. The biggest word, invariably, is "monster." I do another one after we read, and the result is usually "misunderstood." I print them out and put them on the wall; it's a nice visual that reminds us that preconceived notions are often untrue.

12. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Sep 24, 2012

It's mostly used to get a crowd-sourced type of image to display main recurring ideas.

I might use it with a case study where students have to determine which parts of the study correlate to which stage in our scientific method (we use a more complex flow chart). Words like hypothesis, or community analysis will probably crop up a lot, and they can compare which parts of the scientific process happen more often in this case study.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 24, 2012

Character 'web'
    Adjectives to describe ____
    Famous speeches
    Mothers day/fathers day

14. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 24, 2012

Spelling word practice
    Word family splash
    All About Me project

15. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Sep 24, 2012

Kids can copy a part of a reading and paste it into Wordle. It is a great way to teach main idea because the words that are repeated throughout the article-text become larger. The main idea usually is glaringly apparent. Try it. The kids love it! :). We also used it when discussing genre. Kids wrote about the characteristics of each genre and then "presented" their Wordle to the class. The kids had a firm understanding of genre after the presentations. :):)

16. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 24, 2012

Awesome idea!!

17. newkidinclass

newkidinclass Rookie

Sep 24, 2012

My principal sent out a survey monkey asking questions like "what are the strengths of our school" and "what do we need to improve" he took the text of all the responses and shared them with us during a faculty meeting as a Wordle. I thought it was an awesome way to open the discussion. Some of the larger words were things i hadn't even considered. I've seen them used as "tag clouds" on blogs also - showcasing some of the more common tag words within the blog.

18. holliday

holliday Comrade

Sep 24, 2012

I like to put a full short story into Wordle and have the kids read over the Wordle and predict what the story will be about. Then, they read the actual story and are always extra engaged to see how the words and names actually roll out...great predictive activity.

I've also used it for simple grammar recognition reviews: type in a bunch of words and then have them circle all the abstract nouns or vivid verbs or whatever.

Finally, I've taken all the dialogue of different characters from a story and made Wordles for each. It can be really illuminating for kids to see what different characters say or focus on. Good start to a character study.

19. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 25, 2012

Love your ideas, holliday!

20. Cicero

Cicero Companion

Sep 25, 2012

Caesar, I've placed pieces of Latin texts into it to highlight frequently used vocabulary. It helps to show themes as well as gives the students a chance to make some context clue style guesses about what the text is about. It actually can recognize common Latin words and eliminate them (such as... et).I did this last year when I was ST high school. I imagine if I threw a chapter from Ecce Romani that we're on right now in my MS, it would not be so fascinating!