What exactly IS a resource room?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by frodolass, Oct 21, 2007.

1. frodolass

frodolass Comrade

Oct 21, 2007

I assumed a resource room was a room where kids that were included or mainstreamed into general education classrooms could come for various forms of help during the day. Is this accurate? The reason I ask is b/c I'm taking a class and one of my fellow students, in answering a question about the LRE, said something about placing a student in the resource room with his general education peers. Now I'm not sure what the defintion of a resource room is.

3. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Oct 21, 2007

I don't know the official defintion of a Resource Room but I use the resouce room at my school as you indicated. Since I don't have an aide in my classroom, I send students with IEP's to the resource room to have tests read to them. That's the only reason that I use the RR but other teachers send students for many different reasons. I haven't ever sent nor do I know of any other teachers that send genED students to the RR.

4. Burned Out One

Burned Out One Rookie

Oct 21, 2007

in my RR, students come for help on their general education assignments, and to take tests. Additionally, my students can use their resource room time to work on their IEP goals.

5. frodolass

frodolass Comrade

Oct 21, 2007

You serve special education students only though?

I think this young lady in my class just doesnt' understand the concept...but she's a special education teacher?? We don't have resource rooms where I live...maybe it's the same with her.

6. Burned Out One

Burned Out One Rookie

Oct 21, 2007

yes, I only serve special education students in my resource room. Students are only allowed to receive resource room support if they are on IEPs. If I go into another classroom to provide support, then I try to work with all students, as to allow my students to remain as anonymous as possible.

7. frodolass

frodolass Comrade

Oct 21, 2007

Thanks guys. You confirmed what I thought was correct.

8. bcblue

bcblue Comrade

Oct 22, 2007

Well--our HS is piloting a model where the resource room is PRIMARILY for special ed students, but in the interest of LRE, etc, they call them "Student Support Centers", and not only do they service students on IEPs, who go for a certain amount of time per week, but there are times when gen ed students who are struggling can go for extra help also--perhaps while a certain topic is being covered in a class, or during one trimester, etc--these students get help, but as they are not on IEPs, there is not as much paperwork on them. Perhaps your classmate has been exposed to a model like this.

9. frodolass

frodolass Comrade

Oct 22, 2007

Hmm. That's very interesting...thanks bcblue!

10. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Oct 23, 2007

Yes, a resource room is where students go to get help if they need it, and IEP goals. For the LRE, there would not be contact with non-disabled peers in the resource room.