What exactly are they looking for?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by jen12, May 15, 2013.

1. jen12

jen12 Devotee

May 15, 2013

I know someone who went through an alternative certification program that placed her in a full time teaching job in a lower-income district. When the obligation was up, the school let her go. She then got another job and was fired in the middle of the school year. The next year she found another position and was fired a couple months into the school year again.

For some reason, she keeps obtaining interviews! Honestly, I don't know what she has on her resume or what she's telling these districts. You'd think being fired would create problems. When I worked in the corporate world, finding out that someone was fired not once, but twice would throw them out of contention completely. Especially when the field is so competitive.

There are so many people with unblemished records that may not have experience out there....does simple expereince trump a bad record? Is that really what districts are looking for?

I really just don't get it. :unsure:

3. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

May 15, 2013

She probably has a strong resume and great interviewing skills. Shes probably not a very good teacher if she keeps getting fired mid year. What exactly is she doing to get fired in the middle of the year?

4. jen12

jen12 Devotee

May 15, 2013

In one case, it was a confrontation with some parents. I'm not sure what the other situation was. I know she knew it was coming. There were several meetings with admin prior to it. Given what I know of her personality, I suspect she doesn't take well to correction from her boss....but that's just a guess.

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 15, 2013

She's most likely lying either on her resume, application, or in the interview. We had someone do something similar, but it came out in reference checks, so we were able to avoid this person.
    I wasn't on the committee, but apparently she presented herself amazingly well.

6. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

May 15, 2013

I have worked with at least one person before where I was a part of the interview committee & they showed amazing potential and strong interview skills. Once she got into the classroom, it was a totally different story. Unfortunately, it happens...

7. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

May 15, 2013

I can't imagine someone being a bad teacher. I mean I know they're out there---but what exactly do they do that is bad? As long as you effectively teach and can control your kids, you are at least a decent teacher--maybe not exceptional, but decent. So indecent would be not teaching and not controlling kids? And if so, why the heck would they want to be a teacher??

:confused:

8. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

May 15, 2013

I don't want to say too much to give anything away, but I worked with this person in a team, and every day she would phone it in. The only thing I can compare it to is a stereotypical high school teen in some fast food job who clearly didn't want to be there, skipped out early at every opportunity, and didn't really need the job because they didn't pay any of their own bills, therefore had zero reason to put in effort. This person lasted a year and is now in a different profession (or unemployed...not sure). After working with them for that time, I realized that this was a similar trend in the other jobs they held prior.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 15, 2013

I've seen this before...often the candidate is very good at selling themselves...creative razzle dazzle, has good handle on buzz words, has done their research....and the big but is that they don't quite live up to ther hype, or they think they are bigger than the job, or they 'go their own way' rather than trying to mesh their style with school philosophy....glitter can quickly lose its sparkle in the day to day realities, rigor and responsibilities of teaching.:(

10. MissD59

MissD59 Comrade

May 16, 2013

I know teachers who don't control their kids, who allow them to disrespect them and walk all over them. Rooms where children are sitting with their legs slung over the back of their chairs, randomly getting up in the middle of a lesson and running and sliding on their knees into the cubby area. I've seen it happen. Even if a teacher has good instructional ideas, a lack of classroom management prohibits them from actually teaching them. That, to me, is still an ineffective teacher.

We can get into what is effective teaching and what isn't. To me, being a teacher is more than just coming to work, opening up the teacher's manual, and following a script. I think your personality in the classroom, especially in early elementary, is equally as important. A teacher who has an effective rapport with children, but who still demands respect from their students and respects them in return, who is nurturing and kind but firm, is effective in my eyes. That sort of thing is a personal style, though.

An effective teacher differentiates instruction if necessary (and in my experience, it always is, to some degree)/if they can, encourages students to make connections across the disciplines and to their own experiences, and scaffolds their learning. A good teacher inspires students to learn and ask questions, to give them a deeper, relevant meaning to what they are teaching.

Many people can come into a classroom, open up a teacher's manual, and follow a set curriculum. They can hand out worksheets, and try to make sure the kids are under control. In my eyes, that's not necessarily "effective" teaching; its the bare minimum.

ETA: As far as "bad" teachers, we've all had them. My 6th grade ELA teacher called me an insignificant lifeform in front of the class. True story. :mad:

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 16, 2013

What I want to know is what EXACTLY she says 3x's when the interviewers ask her why she was let go/not rehired from her previous jobs. Does she still put them down as references to be contacted? Probably or else she'd have a big gap in her work history! Plus, what have these three employers said to the next prospective employer when they call & ask about her? In this competitive world these days, I wish I knew her secret. Is she young & attractive? That always helps a LOT more than I'm sure many of us would like.

12. fairy_teach00

fairy_teach00 Rookie

May 19, 2013

Surprisingly, this sounds a lot like my previous CT. She was the type of person that has good communication skills and she is liked by all her colleagues. She uses fancy vocabulary words so everyone she assumes she knowledgeable and skilled in her subject area. However, she did not know how to teach, manage her classroom, bad mouth and has power struggles with the kids, and constantly complained that she hates her job. In my head, I wonder if you hate your job so much then why are you here???

13. jen12

jen12 Devotee

May 23, 2013

The person in my original post is someone who is very "academic" in personality. She is one of those people who rattles off information about a given topic. I suspect she does well in interviews. She knows the terminology and probably sounds like a textbook when it comes to knowing teaching strategies.

Her personality, however, is somewhat abrasive. She doesn't take others experience or knowledge into account. If she doesn't have personal experience with something turning out as "A" she'll argue that it can only have a "B" outcome and not accept suggestions. She feels as though she must be a leader and probably doesn't come across as a team player. Everything is an argument. I've found that it's easier just to let the issue go than to prolong any discussion with her.

I know her on a personal level, we've never worked together, so I don't know how she acts at work. She has some very determined political positions that may be to her detriment also if she gets into those types of discussion in the workplace.

It just depresses me that we went through our certification programs at the same time, and since she went through an alternative program that gave her placement, she's continually getting jobs based on that experience and ending up fired. I on the other hand, am still subbing after a few years, getting incredible compliments when anyone comes into the classroom, I get constant requests to cover for absent teachers and I can't even get an interview because I have no "experience" as far as the districts are concerned.

:(

What can you do? The world isn't fair.

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 24, 2013

jen12, that's a shame. I'm sure she's a hellish b!tch to work with! Yes, unfortunately, life isn't fair. I know a couple of people who seem to get all the breaks, but they don't deserve it.

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 24, 2013

The person in question sounds like she knows enough to market herself well and dazzle her way into a job offer...and then is insecure and pushes back when things get tough...doesn't mean he's a 'hellish bitch'.

Op...keep honing your skills...you are building valuable experience.:thumb:

16. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 24, 2013

I have to believe that hard work, honesty, and being dependable and consistent will eventually pay off. I know there are lots of "flashy" people who know how to market themselves and appear fantastic, but they do not have the staying power or the ability to remain in this career for the long haul.

Keep at it and things will work out. :)