What else kids don't like

Discussion in 'General Education' started by nasirahc83, Feb 4, 2011.

1. nasirahc83

nasirahc83 Companion

Feb 4, 2011

Hello Everyone,

Now, I rarely schedule free time but today I needed some .......Anyway so today I told my students that they have the option of free time to either: chit-chat, draw, read a book, get on the computers or rest their head and then I notice that I had a cut-n -paste activity from social studies lesson I never got to and most of my students wanted to do the cut-n-paste which I found strange since it was still academic work. I learned from this that the next time I have free time to inlcude structure activities because young kids want structure. I just thought I would share. :D

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 4, 2011

I think that all "free time" should be structured and should have some academic merit, so I think that's a great idea! :)

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 4, 2011

I agree! When my students need an academic learning break, we review by creating foldables or "cut-n-paste" activity which reviews the material we have been learning. Even my sixth graders love this!

5. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 4, 2011

Every Friday I actually do give my students 15 minutes of real, free time. I have games in the class, and toys, and they work hard all week in their groups earning points for those 15 minutes of free time. This year, many teachers are doing a Friday club, where kids go out and have extra recess for about 15-20 minutes. Our coordinator likes this idea (plus the government is requiring more physical activity, since obesity is becoming an issue here in Mexico).

6. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Feb 5, 2011

We have teams that earn points too and I would love to try this in my class. What happens to the team that might not earn points for free time? Do they have class work to do or haven't you come across that issue yet?