What else can happen?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by pabef, Aug 5, 2008.

1. pabef

pabef Comrade

Aug 5, 2008

I have had so many things happen in my personal life lately and at work. We are supposed to open Monday as a full-time preschool (going from 1/2 day). Our church is having new tile put in the preschool area. We have been waiting all summer for it to be done. A local foundation is donating the tile and work, so we have been on their schedule. They came by today and told me they were going to rip up the carpet tomorrow and work double time to have the tile in before Monday. That meant I had to scramble around and get help to move EVERYTHING out of the preschool today. If they finish, we will come in Sunday and move everything back and reset classrooms to start on Monday. If not, we will set up temporary classrooms in the gym. Guess I should not look a gift horse in the mouth.

3. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2008

I think all will work out for y'all just fine, although I'm sure it'll be a little hectic, but what first day of school isn't? Not too mention that y'all are going full-time and you're about to have a quick remodel for the floors before! Just stick with it and this time next week, you'll have made it through!

4. Prekfreak

Prekfreak Rookie

Aug 6, 2008

I am in the same boat. I am moving to a new building and they aren't finished yet. Supposedly I am to have all new furniture supplied by HS and nothing yet. The only thing I know is that I get to move my stuff next Wed w/ no furniture and start school a day or so later.
    Good luck with the move! Hope you can get enough done to start school!!

5. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Aug 6, 2008

Four years ago, I was getting new flooring in my classroom. I went on vacation and returned the first week of July to find caution tape and do not enter signs all over the doors. The contractor found asbestos beneath the floors. My Principal was off all summer and the Facilities Director was fired. Nothing was done until the first week of school. I started a week late as a result. I had no idea what was supplies I had left in the room because many things needed to be discarded.

The year was a blur, but I made it. You have my empathy!! I know you'll make it, too. Just go with it. :hugs:

6. pabef

pabef Comrade

Aug 6, 2008

They did find asbestos. We will be in the gym for a month. But, we can make it. I'll be glad to have nice, new tile instead of dirty 20 year old carpet.

7. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Aug 6, 2008

This sounds like a repeat of my year. The remediation was very expensive. It looked like the scene from ET with the men in white suits. Remediation was done when school was not in session so the rest of the school did not freak out. Was your room filled with supplies? Will you lose anything? I lost everything that had fabric, my TV and VCR. They just got replaced this year. When I returned to the classroom everything else was in a huge pile at one side of the room!!

I think God sent me the perfect class that year to make up for everything. I had NO behavioral problems, sweet, smart, children who loved learning, and fantastic parents who went the extra mile.

I wish the same for you! :hugs:

8. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Aug 6, 2008

:whistle:just think of all the gross motor you can get done in the gym!!

sorry maybe not every cloud has a silver lining.:hugs:

9. pabef

pabef Comrade

Aug 7, 2008

We had open house tonight. Some of my pickier parents were not happy about the temporary change. I know that once we move back in to our classrooms with nice, new tile they will be fine. I just have to get passed their grumbling for now. I was just hoping for a year with no drama! Does that ever happen?

10. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 8, 2008

Oh, how well I know what you are mean. I am sitting at an empty desk, with just my computer on it, waiting for the first team to come in and move the heavy stuff. We moved all the light stuff during the day.

The volunteers will remove the carpet tonight, installers will come in Saturday --- I have to be here at 7am. And, volunteers will move the furniture back into the classrooms Sunday. And then we do the other half next week end. But, my office will be done, so I think I can survive.

11. preschoolgal

preschoolgal Rookie

Aug 8, 2008

No drama?? Oh how I wish!!! I'm sure there will be something that will come up every year!! I too empathize with you. We opened our new preschool 2 years ago and we didn't have furniture until the day before school began. It was very stressful, but it all worked out in the end. I'm sure things will look up for you too!!