What Educator/Teacher Organizations

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by ramtuf6, Aug 7, 2007.

1. ramtuf6

ramtuf6 Rookie

Aug 7, 2007

Hi all

I just got my 1st teaching position and I understand that there are 100s of Organizations out there. I'd like to know which one/s you joined and why. I'm in San Antonio TX so I would love to hear from TX Teachers. Thanks

Ramtuf6

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2007

I'm not in TX, but I do recommend that you join the NEA. We have a state chapter (NSEA) and a district chapter (CCEA), and I've found them to be very helpful. Our district chapter offers study sessions for all those tests that we as new teachers have to take before our initial license is renewed. And they all offer excellent discounts on all sorts of things ranging from everyday items to vacation packages.

Beyond that, I recommend that you find a nationally-based organization for your grade or subject area. I teach Latin, so I'm a member of the American Classical League. I opted not to join the foreign language teachers union because I felt like everything they had to offer was covered by my CCEA/NSEA/NEA membership.

4. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Aug 7, 2007

If your school and district (in Texas) are anything like mine, you will get a lot of information during orientation.

I basically chose the cheapest one though some would argue others have a better "value". It depends on why you want to join one. All I want is a little peace of mind regarding liability coverage. I specifically do not want to support political causes (at least not blindly, based on the organizations choice rather than my own) so that's why I went for the cheapest one.

5. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Aug 7, 2007

In Iowa we have ISEA which is the state form of NEA. Definately should join NEA.

6. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 7, 2007

First you need to understand that Texas is a "right to work" state which means we cannot have a union with the ability to strike. That takes most of the power away from these organizations, whichever you choose.

There are two big organizations here: TSTA and AFT/TFT (very few are involved with NEA--don't know why--I guess it just never took root in Texas).. Both provide you with insurance in case you are sued. Both provide you with a mediator if there is a conflict with your supervisor. Both are well versed in matters of Texas law. Both provide a lot of professional research.

I have been a member of TFT/AFT since I began teaching many moons ago because I like the fact that it is a "union" and administrators cannot join. That is not the case with TSTA. Having said that, I know teachers who have belonged to both organizations who have received sound legal representation when needed.

I also like being affiliated with a national organization that is lobbying for my rights as a teacher on Capital Hill. Unlike paperheart, I *do* want to belong to a group that supports political causes even if I may not agree with all of their choices. (Although I do agree with most of them--it's like belonging to any political group-- I don't blindly agree with any one candidate or political party).

Some districts have virtually no AFT/TFT representation. Others, like HISD almost have no TSTA members.

Whatever you do, join SOMETHING.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2007
  7. ramtuf6

ramtuf6 Rookie

Aug 7, 2007

Thanks for all your answers. I am looking into these organiations primarily for liability coverage and professional development (CEUs) etc.

8. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Aug 7, 2007

NAEYC (because I'm in early ed.)
    AERA (because I'm a graduate student doing research)

9. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 7, 2007

I've been thinking of joining Nayce (Not sure if I got the acronym right, but it is for the education of young children) Though I am not currently a member of anything. I believe the CTU (Chicago Teachers Union) must sign us up for some stuff with our dues because I get a "magazine" from the NEA - at least I think it is the NEA-

I actually got asked on an interview if I was a member of the Council for exceptional children. I said no, cause I'm honest. $800.00 a year goes into the Union Dues - If we choose not to join, you pay the same and it is just caused an "agency fee" so with grad school and some medical debt it's not in the cards for me right now. Though I wonder if I can get the student rate for Nacye as a part time grad student. Then I may consider it. That rate is considerably cheaper.

10. mrsjam525

mrsjam525 Rookie

Aug 8, 2007

I am a part of the teacher's union in NYC UFT which is wonderful.

11. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Aug 8, 2007

I also wanted to mention that the NEA is also not used often in my area of Texas either.

12. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Aug 12, 2007

I belong to ATPE (Association of Texas Professional Educators)
    The basic reason to join an organization in Texas is for the liability insurance/lawyer help in case you are sued.

As previously stated, we are not allowed to strike in Texas, so professional organizations don't hold too much power.

13. born2teach84

born2teach84 Comrade

Aug 12, 2007

I am also in a right to work state but our state part of NEA is NCAE. NCAE is very active in lobbing for our rights. We don't get to strike but we get raises, personal leave day and many many more things. So even though Texas is a right to work state join the organization that suits your needs. I have four needs, professional, personal (benifits), liability, and political (since we know everything in our lives is political) and NCAE works on all those areas!

14. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Aug 12, 2007

Yes, you can get the student rate for NAEYC, which will give you copies of the journal YC, along with discounted rates at conferences, and affiliate memberships to your local YC groups.