What does your WW look like?

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by Mrs.Mom, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Mrs.Mom

Mrs.Mom Companion

Aug 4, 2008

I'm going in to start setting up my classroom tomorrow, and decided that I want to do a word wall this year. (I haven't had one in the past.) Just wondering how you set yours up? How much room does it take? Thanks so much!

3. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 5, 2008

I have 3 seperate word walls. One for math, one for science & a general word wall. All are on a easel size piece of paper. The math & science ones are part of our school improvement. I put words on them as they come up. I think I'm going to put definitions on them this year.

For the general one, I change it by the season. We brainstorm words we need to know how to spell for that season. So my words aren't in any particular order.

4. thirdgrade

thirdgrade Rookie

Aug 5, 2008

I will have a word wall for math and a general word wall. I want to make them interactive, like the math word wall, the words can be taken off to show definitions.

5. just-n-educator

just-n-educator Companion

Aug 17, 2008

I have an already made one, on which I also add science and math words. I really like mine because it has pre-made words and I dont have to write out the words. It comes with a blue felt like fabric to velcro the words on them. It was about 30 some dollars from a store called Lakeshore!

6. Sabrena

Sabrena Rookie

Aug 17, 2008

Below, I have added pictures of my word wall. The first picture is my general word wall and the second (below the white board) is my math and science word wall!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  7. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 17, 2008

Sabrena,

I really like the word wall below your white board! What a great way to use that space. I currently have a number line there like you would use in kinder. I have a child who is developmentally delayed, I'm guessing probably CI, which is why I have it up.

8. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Aug 17, 2008

Cool I didn't think about making a word wall for 8th graders but the more advanced the science is the harder the words are to spell. I think I will change one of my bulletin boards into a wordwall so i don't have to worry about them asking about how to spell something. :D

9. Mrs.Mom

Mrs.Mom Companion

Aug 17, 2008

Sabrena-how wide are the strips of paper that you use? How do you put the words on them? Do you cute and paste, or write right on the papers? I've never seen a word wall like that...I too love the use of the space below the white board! Is that fairly easy for the kids to see?

10. Sabrena

Sabrena Rookie

Aug 18, 2008

Hi....I just used the lined chart paper and cut it into I think 6 inch width.. which comes to cutting the page in 1/4's. I write the words on them. I have them hanging by clothes pins that I spray painted so it is really easy to remove and write. It is also really easy for the kids to see. I will probably be using a dark purple, blue, or black marker!

11. iteachinIL

iteachinIL Rookie

Aug 19, 2008

Sabrena, how did you hang up your clothespins?

12. Sabrena

Sabrena Rookie

Aug 20, 2008

I hung them up with a hot glue gun. Just a little on the backside of the clothespin did wonders!!!

13. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Aug 20, 2008

I took the small pocket charts that they had at Target (red, yellow, blue, green, black) and made my word walls for Math, Grammar, Writing, Science, Social Studies. I have a portion of my bulletin board that is my Reading Focus Wall. I have two other spelling centers that I put up for their Spelling center and their Reading Vocabulary center. I love those charts, they are awesome and easy to use, just take 1/2 of an index card and you have an instant interactive word wall for your subject. I used another chart as the "essential question board". I just type the essential question in 36 font and cut it out .... instant essential question chart.

14. MissBee

MissBee Companion

Aug 20, 2008

Any issues with removing your word wall at the end of the school year? I feel like my principal and/or custodian would FLIP if I used a glue gun to attach things to my wall!! But I love your word wall idea. It looks great.

15. Sabrena

Sabrena Rookie

Aug 20, 2008

I think every teacher in my school has a glue gun. It is impossible to staple or do anything like that. Everything else I hang with velcro (which they love to....haha) We have teachers that paint their walls neon colors!!

16. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Aug 20, 2008

I have a small spatula type knife got it in a set of different size "cutting materials" in a hardware department somewhere. it is awesome. I just have to slide it under the edge of the hot glue when I want to move a chart and it pops right off.

17. Sabrena

Sabrena Rookie

Aug 21, 2008

Thank you Melissa..thats good to know!