What does your "word" block look like?

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by VANewbie, Nov 2, 2010.

1. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Nov 2, 2010

Some people call it phonics, word study, word family time etc.

How do you fit this in your schedule? Where do you start and how long do you do it?

I'm a bit confused. I do some sort of sight word activity each day but I am not sure how to incorporate any type of word activity into my schedule.
    I know I need to do something with word families, blends, rhyming words but I need everyones help here to get me started.

3. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Nov 3, 2010

We do word study right after our morning meeting on most days. However, some days it is incorporated into my shared reading. Sometimes we do word study after our read aloud. It kind of depends on the day and when the kids will need movement.
    On some days, it is just a whole group lesson and the kids don't move from the carpet. Other days, they will apply the skills and practice them with partners or independently.
    Word study lasts for about 10-15 mins in my room.
    For example...
    On Monday - we made a 2 column chart - singular words and the plural form. Bat bats
    dog dogs
    can cans

We talked about the principal - that whenever you are talking about more than one, sometimes you add s. Sometimes it sounds like z at the end.

Then, on Tuesday, they had a baggie full of singular and plural words and they sorted them into pairs just like the chart we made the day before. Then they chose five pairs to record down. Then they shared their 5 with a partner.

The lesson could have been done in 1 day, but I don't have 30 mins to give to word study. So I split the lessons - I teach the principal the first day, then they practice it the second day.

Today, my schedule is cut short due to library and computer lab. So I will incorporate word study into my shared reading. When we are reading our big book, we will highlight the plural words. If I wanted... they could even have a dry-erase board with them and write the singular and plural form of the word we highlighted.