What does your school supply?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by uclalum, May 23, 2008.

1. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

May 23, 2008

I am curious...

1. What does your school supply in terms of supplies for teaching?
    2. What does your school supply in terms of supplies for the students?
    3. Are you allowed to give a supply list to the parents?

My answers:

1. My school supplies the following for teachers throughout the year:
    red, blue, and black pens, white board markers, post-it notes, staples, tape, and cheap markers.

2. My school supplies the following to the students: plain paper, #2 pencils, construction paper as needed, and glue-sticks.

3. We are not allowed to give supply lists to parents because we are in a title 1 school.

This year is my second year teaching. I have spent thousands on teaching materials and supplies for my students. This includes, spiral notebooks, pencil boxes, highlighters, rulers, dividers, math manipulatives, homework books, homework folders, educational videos, pocket charts, etc. The list goes on and on.

So, what does your school supply to you?

3. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

May 23, 2008

1. Paper, printer ink, ink pens and pencils, permanent and dry erase markers, legal pads, post-its, file folders, staples, paper clips, notebooks, envelopes, thumbtacks, bulletin board paper and borders, etc. Sometimes we get donations of cool office supplies and we'll have something for a while that we don't usually order.
    All classroom materials (toys, books, manipulatives, playground equipment, etc.). Teachers have a small budget they can buy additional things with each year.

2. All sorts of art supplies, depending on what donations we get. We always have the basics: lots of paper, crayons, markers, paints, etc., plus enough toys to rotate so the kids always have something "new" to play with.

3. Not a supply list, but we do occasionally ask for things. We get lots of donations, so we may not always have the same stuff, but we've got stuff!

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 23, 2008

My school supplies all my teacher supplies--pens, post-its, markers, paper, folders, tape, etc. If it's an office supply, they will give it to me.

Each department is given a budget in order to purchase classroom- and subject-specific materials. This year and in the past I've been able to spend around $1,000 on these sorts of items--DVDs, posters, books, art supplies, etc. With budget cuts next year, I don't expect to have that much to spend, but it's okay because I have already established a fairly decent arsenal of these sorts of things.

Our high school does not supply students with student supplies. Students must purchase their own supplies, and these usually include binders, pens, pencils, highlighters, paper, planners, etc. Exceptions are made for students enrolled in special programs like Gear Up and AVID, because those programs do supply certain materials to students.

We include supply lists on our course expectations sheet (syllabus). I require students to have and maintain a supply of pens and pencils, highlighters, lined paper, 3-ring binder, planner, and dry erase marker.

5. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 23, 2008

If we are in need of some office supplies, we can always ask for them, but generally all of OUR supplies as well as the STUDENT supplies come from our classroom budget. This year we had $300 to spend on anything we wanted from School Specialty. Our stuff has to last us the entire year. We had to put our order in back in January, so I hope I ordered the right items for next year! lol

We are allowed to send supply lists home. I usually do for things like tissues, clorox wipes, pencils, a folder or two, and a notebook and pencil box. I buy everything else with the classroom budget or my own money.

6. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 23, 2008

The school I'll be at this fall is a private school, and they told me they build a supply fee into tuition, so no lists home. I'm working on my request list, so I'm trying to think of everything I might need ahead of time-it's very difficult. I'm asking for some items that a public school would never buy for me, such as organizers and colored file folders (I'm really into color coding), but I'm hoping they might as they are private. I'm also asking for a canvas bag per student so I can start doing literacy bags. The principal also mention 'decorating' the room, and so I'm asking for a roll of paper that looks like a fence and a light-up palm tree for a couple of cool themes I want to do. I'm not sure if it's pushing it, but I would say my entire list is under $400, so I think I'm doing ok. It's so hard when they don't give you a monetary amount, and tell you to just tell them what you want-we want everything! That grand that Cassie was talking about sure sounds good to me.

7. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

May 23, 2008

1. They will provide us with any basic office supply, but usually they are of very cheap brand, as long as you make supply request with your department chairs person. This includes basic pens, staplers, etc. However, they run out fast and most teachers buy their own. We also as a department buy art supplies for us to use collectively, as well as DVDs, and any other specific supplies.
    2. We do not supply kids with materials, they must purchase their own.
    3. Yes, we are allowed to give out a supply list. My kids need:
    -A binder for specifically my class (My APS need 2)
    -About 20 sheet protectors for the binder.
    -Filler paper that is 8.5 by 11.
    -A way to transport PC back and forth to school (email is fine)to their laptops. *
    -Black/Blue Pens and Pencils for writing *
    -A red pen for editing *
    (I suggest one of those multicolored pens for them to use).
    -A Jumbo book cover for their textbook.
    -Highlighters *
    -A homework folder so you will not have to take your binder home every night. *
    Art supplies and the like are optional, I have some but they are welcome to have their own.
    *May be shared with other courses.

8. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

May 24, 2008

My school supplies most items you could need, except CURRICULUM! We have a math curriculum, but have to make up everything else. This next year we will begin implementing science, and LA.

But the kids don't need to bring anything to school. We don't send home supply lists. We have supplies for every kind of art, like glitter, pipe cleaners, paper, etc.

I do purchase notebooks for my kids, but next year, am going back to folders, which the school supplies (the pronged kind.) I am just going to make my own folders. I bought them for the kids this year, when they were 50 cents at Target. I had a different folder for every subject, but none are filled all the way!

Last year my class was going through writer's notebooks like crazy (some kids had 4 during the year) and they were the same grade as this class. No one has even finished one journal. I don't understand the difference. Anyway, I purchased a lot of extras, so I actually have enough for next year already if I want them.

9. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

May 24, 2008

Our school supplies our lesson plan book and grade books, dry erase markers, staplers and tape dispensers, pens, and scissors.

We do send out supply lists for the students. In K we ask for pencils scissors, glue, crayons, markers, and either paper towels or kleenex , soap or hand sanitizer and large or small ziplock bags.

I use my supply money to buy construction paper, paint, colored pencils, games and manipulatives.

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 24, 2008

The school provides teachers with:
    lesson plan book, grade book, unlimited copying, basic pens, tape, paper clips, staples. We can ask the art teacher for the use of supplies when we need them. They provide curriculum materials including consumable workbooks.

Students get:
    a yearbook, normal field trips (not overnights or end of year trip).

My supply list for students contains:
    24 pencils, markers, colored pencils, folders, notebook paper to share, composition notebook, tissues, paper towels, hand sanitizer.

We get between $100 to $300 per year. It doesn't go far because it includes colored paper, posters, and anything else we want.

I have bought all my own books for the class library, all my craft supplies (I have tons), my own desk chair, my own file cabinets (nice wooden ones), some of the shelving and storage cabinets, lots of manipulatives, Expo markers, all storage things and filing/desk organizers..... the list goes on and on. I'm so tired of it. Luckily, I've got so much now that I don't want to buy anymore.

11. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

May 24, 2008

1. My school supplies all supplies needed to maintain the computer, construction paper, vis-a-vis markers, lesson plan book, grade book, unlimited copies, and a stipend to buy needed supplies. There is a supply cabinet in the office, but I don't know if it is for office or teacher use. I brought a lot of supplies like pencils, pens, highlighters, etc. with me, so I haven't really needed anything. I can also apply for a grant that goes only to teachers in my district if I want to do a special project and need more money.

2. The students get an assignment book at the beginning of the year. Other than that I don't think they supply anything extra. If a teacher needs something special, like art or music teachers, they can request it, but the school doesn't give paper or pencils or anything.

3. Yes, I can give a supply list to parents. I can pretty much put whatever I want on it (within reason of course).

12. Darkhorse

Darkhorse Companion

May 24, 2008

I am at a title 1 school and we always send out supply lists, it just doesn't mean the students will bring anything in. This means the teachers are responsible for purchasing any missing supplies out of our own pockets/budgets.

The school supplies: white paper for the copier (up to 1,000 copies a month), unlimited laminating, colored butcher paper for bulletin boards and that's it.

We get a $300 budget to buy everything else we need and after that it comes out of our own pocket.

We also get all the curriculum with consumables, and manipulatives that come with the curriculum. A large classroom with two white boards and a bulletin board. We also each get a TV and a listening center.

I have spent a lot of my own money this year...

13. educator

educator Rookie

May 24, 2008

OK, the accountant in me takes over here.

What happens if a teacher is unable to or refuses to purchase the additional supplies required once the $300 is spent. Perhaps $300 is sufficient for supplies for 15 children in a class, but at 23 you will need $460.

14. Darkhorse

Darkhorse Companion

May 24, 2008

I'm not sure I understand your math. What do you mean $460 for 23 kids?

Edit: oops, I am not really feeling well today. I get it, $20 per kid, never mind on the math part.

I would say that the majority of my students brought in at least half of the supplies they were supposed to at the beginning of the year. We just do our best to buy everything for as cheap as possible or borrow from other teachers as needed.

15. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 24, 2008

All of the basic office supplies are in stock in the office all the time. If I need anything in particular that's not on the list, I just request it from the bookkeeper. She's the one who orders the office supplies.

The school purchases planners/agendas for all students, and some of the teachers will buy things for them. I always buy the 10 cent spiral notebooks at Wal-Mart because I like to have them all alike. For me, it's worth the $10 to get what I want, even if I do spend my own money. Most teachers have a stash of extra paper & pencils. This year we used some team money to buy folders for the students on our team.

We're a Title I school. Yes, but we can only specify school supplies. Our list includes a binder, folders, pencil pouch, paper, pencils, flash drive, and calculator. We cannot request community supplies, cleaning supplies, tissues, hand sanitizer, copy paper, etc. Most kids bring in the items. We have supplies for those who don't.

16. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

May 24, 2008

We get basic office supplies.
    We provide construction paper and art supplies from our beginning budget.
    We get to turn in a supply list. My is very basic. We also charge a supply fee for extra art supplies and notebooks. Mine is $12 per child.

We do face painting every Friday during football season. Our parents do it and we charge each child .25 per item. I made about $40 this year. I could use it anyway and anytime I wanted.

17. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

May 25, 2008

In my district, the school provides all curricular materials (books and anything that comes as part of the curriculum package), clip boards, a certain number of copies per 9-week period, unlimited thermal (we call them purples) copies -- I think they used to be called dittos?, copy paper, unlimited lamination, dies to cut images out, and large sheets of construction paper. They also provide desks, chairs, one teacher locker, a (wooden horrible) teacher chair, a (wooden, horrible) teacher desk, a classroom cell phone if requested, and one teacher computer & printer that are connected to the school network, and at least one student computer that is NOT connected to the network. The classrooms I have been in have been elementary only, and the most technologically supplied was a 3rd grade classroom in which the teacher had attended MANY workshops to get good technology for her classroom.

We are allowed to send out supply lists. Unfortunately, they are done by grade-levels, so anything that a specific teacher wants that is different from his/her cohorts either comes from good parents or the teacher's pocket. Students are supposed to supply paper, pencils, crayons, scissors, glue (hopefully in stick form), and folders. Some students bring highlighters. Stick drives are not required. Teachers also list tissues, paper towels, baby wipes, sanitizer, and cleaning wipes, but not all students supply them. Not all students supply anything.

For the big things (ELMOs, Smart Boards, etc.), teacher generally try to attend workshops from which they can get these. Snacks, treats, pencils, paper, folders, glue, crayons, markers, glitter, etc. are generally supplied by the teacher. There is a certain amount each teacher is budgeted that s/he can order from a catalog (I haven't seen that yet), and that is generally where teachers get chalk, etc. As a student teacher and long-term sub, I brought all of my own "office supplies:" stapler, staples, sticky notes, staple puller, tape dispenser & tape, paper clips, binder clips, etc. I know that Uncle Sam only allows us to claim $250 worth of expenses on our Income Tax forms, but that is only a drop in the bucket!