What does your school call the Special Education population?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pisces_Fish, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Oct 4, 2008

I'm just wondering, because back in RI everyone calls them "sped." It was no big deal, and had no negative connotation at all. However, here in NC, we call the "EC," for Exceptional Child(ren?). I've slipped a few times, and called a child "sped." Eeeek! Around here it's like calling someone a negro...you just don't say it. Oooops :( I feel terrible every time I slip.

3. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Oct 4, 2008

Interesting! In my district, I hear a lot of different terms. "Special Ed" or "Special Needs" seem the most popular. The gen ed teachers call them "special needs kids" which is irrating from a mother's POV. I firmly believe in "children first" language. "Kids with special needs" would be more appropriate. In my world, I just call them "kiddos."

(Not to change the topic or anything PF, but did you have a better week? How are you doing?)

4. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Oct 4, 2008

Awww, Zoom, thanks for asking!! No, my week wasn't much better, BUT the school counselor popped in my room Friday to ask how things were going, and I "found" an awesome third grade teacher who helped me plan after school on Friday. I really do like the people I work with!! Hopefully this week will turn up. I'm still worried my teammate is going to leave.:( How was your week?

5. ahsila

ahsila Companion

Oct 4, 2008

Everyone else at my school refers to them as "your kids" and it irritates the daylights out of me. I usually smart off with something along the lines of, "Yeah, they're mine because being in my class trumps being a kids at this school, right?" Slowly but surely people are using the term less and less (around me at least).

6. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Oct 4, 2008

That's good news, PF. It's always nice when someone pops in to check and see how you're doing. This happened a lot to me in my first week but I haven't seen anyone but my district mentor since then. Be thankful for all those cool co-workers of yours! I'm slowly starting to get to know mine but it's going to take some time before I make any strong friendships since I'm the only self-contained sped teacher there and therefore don't have much in common with the others.

Hope your weeks look up from here! :)

ahsila - sounds VERY familiar. I get that a lot too. *sigh*

7. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Oct 4, 2008

SPED.

8. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Oct 4, 2008

learning lab kids

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 4, 2008

We don't have a self-contained class; all of our students with learning disabilities and behaviour identifications are in regular classrooms with support. They are the "identified" students; the Special Ed teachers are the "Resource" teachers.

10. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 4, 2008

The last school I subbed at referred to them as "Learning Center Students". My current district refers to them as "DEC Students". They won't even say the whole term Department of Exceptional Children. It's the same way that they have an acronym for me that replaces my Title I designation. I can't even remember what it stands for! Go figure.

11. catsos2

catsos2 Companion

Oct 4, 2008

We call them the ESE kids. ESE - Exceptional Student Education

12. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Oct 4, 2008

ESE.

13. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2008

At our school, special education students and SPED teachers simply push in with every one so both students and teacher are said to be "inclusion". example--What time is your inclusion today? or Who's coming for inclusion today?

14. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Oct 4, 2008

The department is called the Special Education Department. We as teachers usually call them our IEP kids.

15. SarahJ

SarahJ Companion

Oct 5, 2008

Rem Unit - remedial. We don't have students with major additional needs, just learning disorders, perhaps ASD etc. a child who can cope in school - mainstream or remedial - but needs intensive 1 on 1 is required to emply their own aide to accompany the child to school This is NOT provided by the school or edu dept.

16. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Oct 5, 2008

Learning Support, LS, learning support students

17. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Oct 5, 2008

Resource, Special Ed, or Sped

18. CajunQueen

CajunQueen Rookie

Oct 5, 2008

Special Ed

19. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 5, 2008

We just call them kids. We are a tiny school and every class has a mix of variously disabled and non-disabled students.

20. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 5, 2008

In my area, they just say special ed, Title I, SDC, or resource child. People never say the term sped, ED, EC around here.

21. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 5, 2008

We call them kids....seriously. We work hard to include children of all learning abilities in regular classrooms and transition them in and out to: resource, basic skills instruction, OT, PT, guidance, speech- as seamlessly as possible.