What does your reading/math block look like?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Underthesea, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Underthesea

Underthesea New Member

Jul 1, 2015

What does your reading/math look like in your classroom?

Specifically kindergarten or 1st teachers. I'm trying to change things up for next year and get some new ideas. How do you conduct these blocks and did you have great success with it? Anything special you do? I'm in Texas. Any Texas kinders out there too? :)

(Hi by the way! I'm somewhat new to the forum. Been reading it for years and finally a while ago I decided to join in on all the fun!)

3. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 1, 2015

Hi and welcome!
    I have had great success with teaching both reading and math as a workshop using a rotation. I've found that as students' attention spans get shorter and shorter it is best to utilize small group instruction as frequently as possible. I have my kids work at 4 stations (one of which is always me). It does mean I am teaching the same lesson 4 times, but I differentiate it each time to meet their needs. I have been able to use this method with every curriculum I have been given. Have fun planning! :) Jodi

4. *Schoolmarm*

*Schoolmarm* Rookie

Jul 5, 2015

I teach a 1/2 combo class.

For Reading I used a modified Daily Five structure. Modified because I had a weird Music & Art schedule interrupting this block. I'll be doing Daily Five again next year.

For Math, I taught in centers almost the entire time. I had an aide and often a volunteer to guide centers. I gave leveled instruction to groups of 4 mixed 1st & 2nd graders. I had 24 students, so I made sure to have 6 centers. It made things very easy once I got used to it. My centers were about 15 minutes long. Next year I might make the centers 20 on a 2-day rotation with Friday being 15 minutes.

I had my aide do a craft/activity center that supported the unit (time, money, making 10 etc.); my volunteer would play a Math fact or number sense game; and I would teach the lesson. There were 3 independent centers including iPads, Creative Mathematics activities (by Kim Sutton), and other games.

My students did especially well in Math this year. I did have trouble assessing them in this structure though. There just wasn't enough time to do that part well. I need to improve in the area of assessment.

I hope this helps. I'm interested to hear how others are structuring their Reading and Math.