what does your reading block look like?

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by Iris228, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Iris228

Iris228 Rookie

Aug 1, 2008

Just wondering what your reading block looks like. I'm trying to put mine together and was wondering what you all do.

I just got more info on my reading cirriculum today. I have a basal reader that also has leveled readers and phonics readers that go along with them. Still trying to figure out how to use them in my classroom. I was planning on doing a shared reading/mini lesson and then using literacy centers while pulling students for guided reading groups. Now I'm not sure if I'll have to do more whole group instruction (not really what I wanted to do). Hmmm

3. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Aug 1, 2008

That sounds like our new Houghton Mifflin Reading Program. Before the program arrived, we had 3 time groups (20 min each) and literacy centers happening then. Phonics skills were whole class as were story elements/comprehension/concepts of print. (that's not to say those didn't also happen in reading groups)

I wish I could help you figure out the leveled readers, phonics readers, and basal readers - but I never did get the hang of it. I'm still working on that...

4. Iris228

Iris228 Rookie

Aug 1, 2008

LOL Thanks anyway! I'm so confused now. It's the Scott Foresman Reading Series and it looks like a lot of worksheets/dittos and realllly boring stuff that apparently all the other first grade teachers work from, so I guess I need to as well.

Anyone else want to share what their reading block looks like?

5. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Aug 1, 2008

Our district bought a brand new program last year. I was very lucky that my principal said, "These are tools to aide you not what you have to teach." The daily plan would take me all day to teach and I would never have time to move to other subjects.

This is how I handle it. I have about a hour for reading.
    Whole Group- comprehension/big book etc. M-F
    Whole group/partners- phonics (MWF)
    Whole group/partners- vocabulary (TR)
    Small group/centers-M-F
    -after my students meet with me in small group they partner off and read the same book again working on the week's comprehension strategy.
    -every day the students have `1-2 pages of seat work before moving to centers and choice centers. I used some of our worksheets(the less boring ones) and my more fun supplemental worksheets.

All teachers have different styles. If it isn't your style to use all of the worksheets and dittos, then don't. The other first grade teachers in my building use almost ALL worksheets. I think it is important to use some. State testing isn't over making art work to show what you know. It is using paper and pencil.

This year I am allowing students to use their personal intelligence to choose how to show me what they know. I am very excited about this and hope it works out well! Our goal is for students to understand and meet standards it shouldn't matter how they get there.

Other teachers wanted to teach almost EVERYTHING the guides suggested. They ended up teaching reading 3 days a week and writing 2 days a week. It took them twice as long to get through a unit.

6. MissR

MissR Comrade

Aug 1, 2008

We do reading three times a day. In the morning I do 60 minutes of guided reading - small groups while the kids are in literacy work stations. In the afternoon we do whole group phonics (Saxon Phonics) and at the end of the day we do a whole group Reading Mastery Direct Instruction for 40 minutes.

7. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Aug 1, 2008

What is Reading Mastery Direct Instruction? Do you like it?

I bet you see a lot of growth during the year!!!! That is a lot of reading instruction! :)

8. MissR

MissR Comrade

Aug 1, 2008

Reading Mastery is VERY scripted, repetitious and structured. I do not enjoy teaching it, but it seems to really help particular students. I feel like some kids really respond to the phonics, some really respond to Direct Instruction and for the rest it is generally advantageous to do both. With our population I think it is really good that we spend so much time on reading...at least in first grade.

9. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 1, 2008

This is my first year teaching (at all, much less 1st grade!!), and our district has just brought in the Harcourt Storytime series. My school is a Title 1 school, and we have a 2 hour block for literacy in the morning, plus 2 separate 30-minute blocks for interventions, and another 30 minute block for vocabulary! I'm trying to get my mind around it, but I won't be trained in the program until 2 days before school starts.

10. Iris228

Iris228 Rookie

Aug 2, 2008

Wow only 2 days before school, that could be challenging pwhatley, but I'm sure your up to it! At least your getting some training in the program from your school. I have the teacher manual and supplies and now am trying to figure out the best way to use the materials. Anyone else use the Scott Foresman series with a basal/leveled readers/phonics readers that correspond? I'd love to hear your experiences with this or any other similar series. Or just share what your reading block looks like in your classroom.

11. Teachingin08

Teachingin08 Rookie

Aug 5, 2008

We use 4-Block and incorporate Literacy Groups and a Basal Series that has leveled readers. During the Working With Words Block it is mostly phonics/decoding/spelling and vocabulary. I will occasionally use trade books, such as Dr. Seuss books, to illustrate examples in context. I use the Basal during the Guided Reading Block. During this block, I teach reading as a process. We do before reading activities such as picture walks, making predictions, or K-W-Ls. During reading, we read in a variety of ways. I try to mix it up and use a manner of reading that best matches the basal selection. I use choral reading, shared reading, echo reading, independent reading, and partner reading. After reading, we complete activities focusing on the skill I am trying to teach, often having to do with comprehension. We will also revisit predictions and our K-W-L. I use the leveled readers as take home reads or I meet with small groups when the others are doing partner or independent reading during the guided reading block. Our literacy groups (30 min per day) also used leveled readers. Other teachers come into the room to help with this block though, so it may not work if you do not have that resource. During this time though students will frame words and practice reading strategies including decoding strategies and comprehension strategies. I also have a Self Selected Reading Block. This block begins with a read aloud. This is a good time to introduce many different genres and share great children's literature on different levels. The students then read books of their choice that are on their level. During this time I meet with individual students to conference. I listen to them read to check fluency, discuss what they are reading to monitor comprehension, and discuss strengths and weaknesses. We set goals. I check to make sure they are reading books on their level and books of different genres. Making words takes up 30 min, Guided Reading is 40 min, Lit. Groups is 30 min, and Self Selected Reading is 30 min...Total a little over 2 hours. There is also a Writing Block that I did not go into...it lasts 40 minutes and involves a mini-lesson, writing (using the writing process), and conferencing.

12. Iris228

Iris228 Rookie

Aug 6, 2008

Thank you all for all your responses. Seeing what yours look like is very helpful as I try to plan out my own reading block!

13. Iris228

Iris228 Rookie

Aug 6, 2008

Just wondering when you are not having students partner read/independent read do you work with them in small groups or as a whole since they are all reading the same text? If you work with them in small groups what are the other students doing while you meet with one group? Just wondering if you could elaborate on this a little for me... Thanks!

14. Teachingin08

Teachingin08 Rookie

Aug 6, 2008

When the students are not doing partner or independent reading, I do whole group instruction.

15. turtlegirl

turtlegirl Companion

Aug 6, 2008

I also use Scott Foresman. This is my third year using the series. I have a two hour block for reading but it usually goes longer than that..... I will break down what I do

8:45-9:15-Writing/Grammar- I use the themes that Foresman wants us to use but not the assignments. I try to tie in the grammar with the writing but it doesn't always fit.

I do not use alot of the grammar pages.

9:15-10:00- Whole group
    morning message
    shared reading
    phonemic awareness
    phonics-( I have made up my own activities for this section and use the worksheets only for morning work or a review.
    10:00-11:00- small group/leveled readers/ centers
    I do not use the centers suggested in the book- I have made up my own.I usually review the skills from the previous week in centers.

After lunch we resume doing the whole group basal part. I work on the literary skills, sight words, and fluency here.

I am willing to share anything I can... Just let me know!

16. Iris228

Iris228 Rookie

Aug 12, 2008

Thanks for all your input. Turtlegirl could you tell me a little bit about what centers you do. I'm trying to avoid having to change center activities frequently and spending all my time trying to come up with new ones. I read a few books about using the same centers all the time and maybe spicing them up throughout the year with small changes/introducing new things they can do at them as the year progresses. Wondering what yours look like. Thanks!

17. Iris228

Iris228 Rookie

Aug 12, 2008

Also wondering if you could elaborate a little on using the basal reader. Do you have them choral read/partner read/ independently read? :thanks: You've all been a big help so far just by sharing what you do.

18. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 12, 2008

I haven't STARTED teaching 1st grade YET-- so your posts are helpful to me... but this is what I plan on doing:

Guided reading, whole class 20-25 minutes??
    (Scholastic News, Poems, Big Books)
    Independent Reading/Partner reading 30 minutes (with 2 teachers in the room doing conferences)
    Word Work 30 minutes daily
    Writer's workshop - 45 minutes 3x a week.

19. turtlegirl

turtlegirl Companion

Aug 12, 2008

Last year I did the following centers and changed them weekly...

computer- I have a subscription to spellingtime.com which I have put all of the spelling words on.... THIS is a fabulous site! and well worth the money

poetry-I take the poem from the previous week's lesson and type it up and they have to search for the phonics rule from the previous week.

word work- they are usually working on the hardest phonics rule from previous week... I have them sort words by their rule...

spelling- different spelling games using their words--- I have put the alphabet on clothespins and they build their words on paint sticks...

buddy read- they can read with a friend or a stuffed animal out of their browsing bags

library- they can enjoy time in the library on beach chairs and pillows

math(occasionally)
    listening- I have them listen to the songs and stories from the series. I also have other copies of books and tapes for them to choose from. I have a group listening table and indivdual walkmans

art(occasionally) I usually have art/writing projects that go with whatever we are discussing in Foresman

writing- some kind of assignment that has to do with Foresman.... just depends on the week

I have pretty much created something for each week, now that I have been doing it for 2 years.... :D

20. turtlegirl

turtlegirl Companion

Aug 12, 2008

As for the basal... it all depends on the time of the year and the group...you will find that you are supposed to read the basal reader on Wednesdays in your small group...
    i usually let my advanced group read it with partners and then discuss with me, my onlevel read it with me, and my below-level listen to it on cd first and then read it with me.... it just depends... towards the end of the year we read it more whole group or in partners because they get pretty long!...

Let me know if you need anything else....:up: