What Does Your Guided Reading Area look like?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by skittleroo, Jul 17, 2009.

1. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2009

I am curious to know how other teachers set up their gudied reading area. Does anyone have any pics? What management system do you use to keep organized while running gr groups?

3. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Jul 17, 2009

I have the same question. Also,I want to know how we manage the behaviors of the other students who are not in guided reading groups.

4. amedinaoh

amedinaoh Companion

Jul 17, 2009

I hate to repeat it but PLEASE check out the book Daily 5...it will tell you what to do with the other children not in groups. It's great!

5. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2009

I dont' really have an issue with centers and I'm familiar with D5. I was just curious as to how others set up their gr area. I know I always like to learn from others - ways to streamlined, simplify, organize......

6. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 18, 2009

I'll have some photos up after I set up my classroom. It'll probably be an entire post on my teacher advisor weblog that you can read. I have a very concrete plan in mind this year, though I am still trying to figure out where everything will be. After everything comes to life, I'll show you. :)

7. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jul 18, 2009

my GR area is a kidney table in the back of the room. On the table I have a file for each child, as well as clip boards for running records. there is a paper caddy, for written work and pencils and drawing supplies. It is pretty sparse. Is that what you were wondering?

8. 1stGr8

1stGr8 Companion

Jul 18, 2009

My GR area is a kidney table. I set it up so that I am facing the class in order to deal with any issues if they arise. I have a caddy bag with the books I need for the week and any materials on the table. I have a binder where I keep the lesson plans. I have a small bookcase behind the table where I keep manipulatives like letter cubes, picture cards, puzzles, etc.

When I am doing guided reading the kids are doing independent reading. They are either doing a reading log or a readers workshop reflection log.

9. newbie0809

newbie0809 Companion

Jul 19, 2009

how do you have lesson plans?

Last year was my first year teaching. I didn't know which books I would be using for each group until I went to the bookroom when I had a chance. I would like to have lesson plans but there are so many books and you never know which ones you're going to use

10. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Jul 19, 2009

My kidney table took up too much room, so I have a small round table with a cute tablecloth. There is a dry erase board on the wall behind me, strategy posters, and next to the table I have a rolling cart with 5 drawers. I put my GR stuff for each group in each of the drawers. I also have a caddy on top of the cart with white boards, markers, pens, highlighters, etc.

11. 2inspire

2inspire Companion

Jul 19, 2009

I suggest books by Debbie Diller your grade level would be Makig the Most of Small Groups (3-6 grade-try Practice with Purpose).

My group area is a front right corner of my classroom. I have a floor to ceiling bulletin board (this year I will have a 4'X4' shower board mounted on it.) behind me and a double sided storage unit close by.

All materials are kept in a colored drawer iris cart. My groups are colors-no specifications on which color goes with which level but by 4th grade they've figured out if they have some withitness or not. Group materials are kept in their corresponding colored bin.

I have two trapazoid tables pushed together to form a hexagon for my teaching space and an orange lamp that I light when I'm at group so that other's know they may not disturb unless there is blood or bone involved:)

As far as what the others are doing-students work in ability pairs at workstations around the classroom. There is a one strike and you're out policy. We do a lot of frontloading at the beginning of the year on what to do in workstations, what to do if there are problems and tons of modeling so I don't have many problems.

If when I do the offenders independently read in chairs just outside my small group circle. This way they are involved in something and even if they do nothing but stare off into space they can still hear my small group lesson and benefit that way.

12. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Jul 19, 2009

2inspire, I like your light idea. I wear a crown (my conferring crown-even during GR) which tells the kids not to interrupt me. But, I have a "stop" light which I had no idea what to do with and that would be a great use! Thanks. :)

13. 2inspire

2inspire Companion

Jul 20, 2009

I use the light when I'm doing an AR conference or anytime I'm working with a student and need not to be disturbed.