What does your first day/week look like?

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by JMG11, Aug 22, 2009.

1. JMG11

JMG11 Rookie

Aug 22, 2009

Just curious to see what other teachers have planned. I am stuck... I think it's more that I am not yet in the mood to go back!
    I am teaching a grade 2/3 class (15 high grade 2's and 4 low grade 3's) and want to choose things that are not too "babyish" for grade 3's, but not too difficult for grade 2's. Are all about me books still acceptable? Also, what do you plan for math activities for the first week?

Thank you!!

3. blondie77

blondie77 Rookie

Aug 24, 2009

Hi there-

I teach third grade, and here are some things I do. I pair the kids up and they do a Venn Diagram comparing and contrasting how they are alike/unalike. We also write an autobiography as I introduce the Writer's Workshop. I also take a picture of each student, and then they write three or four goals for the year on a big piece of white paper. I think tape their picture in the middle and it goes into our "time capsule". On the last day of school, we open it. The kids love to see what they have accomplished and how much they've grown!

This year, I am also pushing the rules and procedures BIG TIME. As a new teacher last year, I struggled with classroom management. :)
    Hope this helps!

4. tgim

tgim Habitué

Aug 24, 2009

Time capsules and children's literature are great for the beginning of school...for math, stick to the basic +/- facts to see who has it and who needs work. You can review time and money with games, too. Also do some team building activities w/ partners and small groups. I enjoy a scavenger hunt to introduce areas of the room, and even to get to know each other (find a friend who...lost a tooth this summer, went out of state on a trip, comes to school a different way than you do...).

5. MzQualified

MzQualified Comrade

Aug 28, 2009

Blondie, what do you put the goals in? Like what do you use for the time capsule?

6. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Aug 28, 2009

I just completed my first week (EVER)!!!

We didn't have to turn in plans so even though I had planned things, I found that we didn't get to a lot of it so I ended up rearranging things.

My students completed a Me Bag. As a class we created a KWL chart (they had never worked with one before) on what they know and what they want to know about grade 3 (you could make it about your class in general). We'll look back at the chart after the first 9-weeks and add things we've learned.

I also had students write a friendly letter to themselves for the end of the school year. They were to make predictions, write goals, and write notes regarding the upcoming summer and things they hoped would happen. It took a little while to get them to think ahead that far but once I gave them some examples, most of them could write quite a bit. It may be a little abstract for your High 2s but may be worth a try.

Today we had a fun friday and did a reader's theater (I didn't start the basal this week) and then watched a short video/virtual tour of the Statue of Liberty (the subject of the reader's theater).

Each day we have AR time and since our classes aren't set up in there and they can't take tests, they've had an opportunity to see what's available. During this time I've been working on reading diagnostics. I only made it half-way through my class so next week's reading groups will be a bit off but you'll have that.

I would change a few things if I had to do it all over again but for the most part, I thought they worked for my kids.

7. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 29, 2009

I have a 2/3 class as well. I begin with lots of routines and establishing all of the basics of the classroom. As for projects, we will begin with informational books and let the kids write a book about something they are an "expert" in... this will be how we begin writer's workshop. This will probably take the first couple of weeks of school, maybe longer... not sure yet.

I will also have them make an art project that highlights their hopes and dreams. In the past, we made a flag and hung them in the classroom. I buy the cheap wooden frames from IKEA and we paint them and they put their photos in them. We take the pictures at school during the first week :)

In reading, we will begin Daily 5, and I start by introducing the classroom library. The books are all going to be in the baskets, but I give each table a basket to look at, and I think this year I am going to have them put stickers on the backs of the books that match a sticker on the basket. This gives them ownership of the books!! Sometimes I have them SORT the books for me, or I have sorted the books and they name the baskets according to the genre.

For science we are going to have a plant project where they care for a house plant that's on their table all year. They will graph the height of the plant and the number of leaves. I am also going to let them NAME their plants and we will label the pots with the plants names. I think that will be fun for them.

Another thing we will do is weigh and measure each child. I will have them draw a self portrait which will go on the wall. We will do the same thing at the end of the year to compare.

I haven't planned math yet, but I think I'm just beginning with the first unit. I also haven't planned anything for SS, but think that just getting to know one another is a pretty good way to begin!