What does your director do all day?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by MsWK, May 9, 2007.

1. ecross1983

ecross1983 Rookie

May 27, 2007

My director helps out a lot in the classrooms when teachers are out sick, etc. She sits at her desk most of the day...and does go to the store for us when needed. She does a lot of complaining and is very negative! A lot of the complaints she has about my room - SHE HAS NO IDEA WHAT'S GOING ON becuase she DOES NOT spend enough time in there! She might come in for 5 minutes a week, if I am lucky. Besides the infant room, I am the only class there with only 1 teacher. She spends a lot of time with the preschoolers and has admitted that she hates being in the toddler rooms. I understand, but STILL...it irritated me when I heard that!

2. vmeji002

vmeji002 Rookie

May 28, 2007

wow my director is always sick but she always does something. how about these so called asst. directors?

3. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

May 29, 2007

I would have to quit... I couldn't handle being under that kind of authority. JMO

4. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 29, 2007

My director does a lot. She does the payroll, hiring, runs errands, covers ratios when necessary, arranges everyone's shifts, takes care of all the finances, maintains communication with parents etc. etc. etc.! She puts in some long hours and is frequently at the centre on her own time to get everything done. She is also very supportive of the staff and respects the decisions we need to make on a day-to-day basis.

5. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 12, 2007

Better than soaps!

Whoa...those last posts were better than the soap operas!

But seriously folks, I think Blue and TeacherKasey would have get resumes from all of us! They are unique and wonderful individuals!

I personally would dodge the job of site director, because...well..money!

Master State Pre-K people make more!

And, I know my limits. Parents, preschoolers, plumbing and tater tots don't mix too good in my head. I do a good job of playing third banana :D I'm always the one there when the state/license/head start coordinators come out.

We had monitors come out last month. I got to answer all the questions that I really don't know. :cool: I did make an effort to tell my co-workers what happend, compliment what went well, and mention what went wrong, so we can do a better job next time. Nobody really saw me as admin. before then, I think they kinda respect me better now. I'm not just another teacher that asks them to cover somebody's room.

I tip my hat to Blue and TeacherKasey, and all directors in the room. I honestly think you guys should get more than the teachers (here in Chicago/State Pre-K).

6. mrJon

mrJon Rookie

Jun 16, 2007

director?!

we have a director!?

I saw her maybe twice the whole school year.

Despite this she did work around my college schedule the entire year.

7. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 17, 2007

not seen and not heard??

Maybe you have one that actually works mrJon! :D It's good that she is flexible with your schedule for college.

I have a new twist:

My director was out when the state licensing reps came in. I knew the drill, act like you know what you're doing...even if you don't. Most of the write ups were administration things they did not have on file. But I listened, took notes, and left a detail letter for my boss. Told all the teachers what happened, and thanked them for being on task.

When I came to pick up my check, I asked boss about the audit. She says, "yeah,I want to talk to you about that when you come back."

Like I need that stress bugging me for another week!:( It wasn't my fault she wasn't there! Why didn't she just come out and tell me what was wrong?? I figure it was a lose-lose proposition. As former auditor, I KNOW they always find something wrong. That's their job. I shouldn't take the heat. I plan to just nod my head and listen when I come back. Meeting licensing requirements is the director's job...not mine.

I remain...Master Pre-K

Happy Father's day to all you wonderful Dad's!

8. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Jun 19, 2007

How do the director's run the centers??? I can't believe there are so many director's that are rarely, if ever, in their centers!!!

9. Joyride

Joyride Comrade

Jun 19, 2007

It takes a good 3-4 months to get hired at a YMCA. The less fortunate ones would probably keep any employee, since most new applicants don't want to wait out that whole process.

10. Joyride

Joyride Comrade

Jun 19, 2007

:D Well said!

11. calemjess

calemjess Rookie

Oct 10, 2008

I am a new director and this is what my day consisted of yesterday....

Greeted children
    Logged tuition checks received
    Talked with parents
    Did a practice fire drill - evaluated outcome
    Balanced all September finances, did my monthly reports, and reconciled all bank accounts. (which took longer than normal because I was off at first and had to find my error)
    Placed a Scholastic book order for the students
    Talked with three teachers re: concerns, ideas on how to deal with specific children
    Wiped tears from a crying child
    Helped out in the nursery
    Handled an AC unit
    Took phone calls from parents inquiring about our school
    Watch a class for 5-10 minutes while a teacher prepares her lunch.
    Mailed letters to parents that are late with tuition payments
    Prepared a memo to go home with children next week
    Dealt with a child that was upset over snack
    Loaded children and talked with several sets of parents
    Checked into advertising alternatives
    Get checks ready to deposit
    Picked up the resource room, cleaned dishes in the sink and put away manipulatives.
    Got the time sheet ready for next week and recorded payroll for the last two weeks.
    Clear my desk to get ready for another day....

And this day above is a small sampling of what I did in the course of the day. And actually this day was a day where I was in my office more than usual. I try to check in on every classroom each day even if it is just a few moments. Some days allow more classroom time than others.

I have taught Pre-K for a couple of years before becoming the new director and I have to admit it is somewhat eye opening. Not everything that you have to do as the director is fun............and it defintely isn't stress free........LOL
    But it is definitely interesting to read this thread to get different perspectives.

12. snorkelbum

snorkelbum Rookie

Oct 10, 2008

we have a biusness adminstrator that handles all of the finace and paperwork for roll call...the director does none of that...we jsut got a new director, who we hope will be more hands on in the classroom, as are old one was not...

13. scarlet_begonia

scarlet_begonia Comrade

Oct 10, 2008

I know some directors do more than others, but what about the teachers? I do a huge list of things everyday....and if I'm not feeling well, I can't take an "easy" day. If I'm stressed or tired, I can't take a breather or a break. I'm with children from 8 am until my lunch break at 1:30, non-stop, go go go. I'm not a director, but I've filled in for directors when they were on vacation, and it's NOT the same.

I feel my director has no idea what goes in the classroom. She really needs to spend 2 entire days doing what we do. I bet she'd be more understanding when something doesn't get done (or get done the way she wants it!)

14. vbubbles1874

vbubbles1874 Companion

Oct 10, 2008

Wish my director did this for us! She won't even come down the hall if she even suspects that we are out of ratio.

Forget going to the bathroom. We usually end up grabbing whoever we find in the hallway.

15. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Oct 10, 2008

:eek:

16. tracer330

tracer330 Rookie

Oct 11, 2008

our director is hardly ever there; we have a regular assistant director who is there every morning and an afternoon assistant director who takes over at the end of every day

our assistant director is there most mon-fris, 7-3; he sits at the desk and allows staff members to sit out there and talk to/flirt with him when they should be in thier rooms; he talks to/fights with his girlfriend on the phone; he walks around to get numbers in classrooms, ignoring the fact that teachers are not doing what they are supposed to be doing; he'll come sit in a class if a teacher needs to run to the bathroom or is running late or something, but when i say "sit" that's literally what he does, and nothing else; occassionally he'll type up staff memos and distribute them, these memos all say the same things ALL THE TIME, lots of rules and regulations and warnings about what will happen if we don't follow the rules, but then nothing is ever done to enforce the rules and teachers are still doing whatever the hell they want; sometimes he signs onto "myspace" when he's sitting at the desk; he often sits at the desk and listens to our complaints/issues, nodding his head, saying "riiiight", telling us he'll "look into it" and then never get back to us about it again; and, i think this is my favorite, he stands in the office staring out the window for 5-10 minutes at a time

the teacher who takes over as assistant director in the afternoons, gets numbers on classrooms and moves kids/teachers around as needed; makes sure teachers are doing what they are supposed to be doing, and lets them know what they need to be doing if they are not doing it; greets parents as they walk by the desk; calls parents if we have emergencies or any other type of issue and we can't leave the classroom; goes into classrooms if there are no other teachers to cover; calls the director/assistant director to let them know what it is going on; makes sure all the classrooms are closed down properly; deals with parent issues if they arise; there's prob more, but i can't think of them right now

sometimes i wish that the teacher who takes over in the afternoon was our regular assistant director

17. PennStateCutie

PennStateCutie Companion

Oct 11, 2008

My director has been a teacher at our school, so she SHOULD understand what goes on in our rooms, but I think she's out of touch, like most administrators who used to be teachers. She is in the building everyday, but makes a point of noting to us how MUCH she does in the office, even though I know for a fact that she sits at her desk and updates her facebook while she's "working"...She even came right out and asked me if I could add making her pot of coffee to my morning responsibilities, so that it would be ready right at 7:30 when she walks in the building in the morning...I did NOT go to college for 4 years to be someone's coffee girl! :(

The day that she got scratched by one of the students because he was crying and flailing (which he had been doing in the classroom, also, mind you) was the same day that she made sure she told the church's pastor about it and how she should be getting a raise because of that...nevermind the fact that the classroom teacher gets paid pennies (um, like $8.25 an hour) and put up with that kind of behavior for 2 weeks before anything was done about it...and something was only done about it BECAUSE the child scratched the director. If the child had hurt the classroom teacher, I can guarantee the child would still be going to our school.

She and I used to get along well until last year (and now it is kind of a fake-acting that we get along because I hate conflict and confrontation). I had to have in-vitro done last spring in an attempt to get pg. I had asked my director that if I got bad news on the day of my pregnancy test, would she be able to come back at the end of the day and relieve me so that I could go home to be with my hubby. She agreed. The end of the day rolls around, my doctor calls me and tells me the bad news. My director sees me there bawling my eyes out, with all of my co-workers huddled around me for support, and she flippantly says (without a word to me), "Well, I've been here since 6:30...I'm going home" and she left, just like that! And I had to endure 3 more hours of that place with the afterschool daycare kids until I could go home...on the worst day of my entire life...So anyway, I'm sorry that I hi-jacked this post and made it into a huge vent, but I think that a director at a christian preschool should have a little more compassion and sympathy :( - heck, any director should! We don't even get an occasional pat on the back or good job!

18. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Oct 11, 2008

Lets see-- my director does---billings, paperwork, updating our records, checking to see that all the staff have the credentials updated as necessary etc. , grant searches, meetings with staff, parents ,and the childcare board, shopping for our supplies for projects, budgeting, handles unhappy parents, helps with discipline and behaviour issues, takes children who need a break from the classroom ( or who's classroom needs a break from them), arranges for special events and acts as a liaison between the childcare center and the curch we are based out of.