What does your day look like in 2nd?

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by Danny'sNanny, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jun 15, 2009

Trying to work out my schedule...

In ST (1st grade) we had math last and I hated it.

So I was thinking something like:

Starter- math story problem or daily oral language 10 min
    Morning Meeting 15 min (w/ content related read aloud)
    Calendar 10 min
    Math 1 hr
    Shared Reading 15 min
    Guided Rdg and Literacy stations 45 min - 1 hr
    Lunch
    Read Aloud
    Writer's Workshop 45 min
    Science/Social Studies 45 min
    Activity Time (extra centers, finish work, AR tests, special projects etc) and PAT reward time to finish day

Of course, I don't know about lunch times, specials, etc. yet, and my team has several planned units where we will be doing our science/social studies throughout the day in our reading and writing:dizzy:

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jun 15, 2009

We, unfortuantely, have no such flexibility. Everyone in our school MUST do reading and writing first thing in the morning. Every second grade teacher must teach the same subjects at the same time, and it is prescribed by our administration. :(

However, I do like my schedule. I get to math right after lunch. We finish math right in time for recess, which is followed by specials, and then we come back to end the day with social studies or science. If we take a water and bathroom break after recess and specials, we often have to cut science/social studies short, but I try to cover some of it in reading (using small group books on the same topics) to make up for it. If I don't take a group break then, the kids all have to go anyway, and so a revolving door occurs, which really messes up my instruction.

Here is my daily schedule, though I readily admit, I often cut into the writing time after lunch -- because I can teach writing in the content areas, too. We are required to have so many minutes of writing on the schedule, so I put them there, but generally after lunch, we do a read aloud and then go directly into math. I should also add that our school doesn't "officially" start until 9:10am -- but they let kids start arriving at 8:30!!!!! So I have to have plenty of morning work and centers to keep them busy. I can't begin "real instruction" until after 9:10, and then we have school wide announcements, so I wait until those are over so we aren't interrupted.

Daily Schedule

8:30am - 8:45am Students arrive. Daily Reviews, AR Tests, and DEAR Time. Workstations.

8:45am-9:20am Morning Meeting, Calendar Math, (Read Aloud). Calendar Math, Announcements, Workstations (con’t)

9:20am-9:50am Shared Reading/Whole Group Instruction

9:55am-10:55am Small Group and Guided Reading

10:55-11:05am Writers Workshop (Part 1)

11:05am-11:35am Lunch

11:35am-11:45am Bathroom & Water Break

11:45am-12:15pm Writers Workshop (Part 2) & Read Aloud

12:15pm-1:15pm Math

1:15pm-1:30pm Recess

1:35pm-2:20pm Resources
    Monday - PE
    Tuesday - Music
    Wednesday - Art
    Thursday - PE
    Friday - PE

2:20pm-3:10pm Science or Social Studies

4. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jun 15, 2009

At my student teaching school, we were told when to teach everything. It seems like this school is more flexible (hooray) but I still need to meet with my team more about it. I talked to them during the interview, and read what they have posted on the school website, but I'm in a different state so its hard!

The principal said she would give them my info so they could contact me soon. I'm antsy though! :)

5. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jun 15, 2009

You are so lucky, DannysNanny. In my district, if they come into my room at 10:00, I'd better be doing small group reading, or I'm in trouble.

Now, when I "squeeze" extra math or a read aloud into that "writing time" I always am prepared if someone walks in to say "Okay class, now write three sentences about how you solved your math problem. Make sure to use the transition words we've been studying." Or "Now, class, let's summarize the chapter we just heard into three sentences."

Sometimes, you just have to play the game to get everything done.

6. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jul 2, 2009

Wow, I love hearing your schedules! I'm not sure how our schedule will be just yet. I need to find out when my title I times are... other than scheduling around title time and specials/lunch we make our own schedules per class and not grade. Although, we are often doing the same subject at the same time.

7. jde3399

jde3399 Rookie

Jul 9, 2009

It would be really nice to be able to set up my own schedule. However, like Rainstorm, the schedule is pretty much set. Here is how my schedule works:

8:00-8:30- students arrive; morning work

8:30-8:35- announcements

8:35-9:25- specials

9:25-9:40- calendar/morning review

9:40-10:10- spelling groups

10:10-10:20- oral language

10:20-11:45- reading groups/work stations

11:45-12:10- writing workshop (4-squared writing)

12:10-12:45- lunch

12:45-1:05- recess

1:05-2:00- math

2:00-2:50- social studies/science

The one thing I do like is that in the afternoon, it is not very chopped up. Lunch then recess is really nice. Also, I fit in writing in the content area when possible. Hope this helps.

8. teachermegs

teachermegs Rookie

Jul 18, 2009

Here is my last years and depending on my computer time, it will be about the same:
    7:45-8:20 Morning work (8:20 is offical start time)
    8:20-8:30 Morning show
    8:30-9:00 Math
    9:00-9:30 Computers
    9:30 -10:00 Specials
    10:00-11:30 Reading
    11:30-12:20 Writing
    12:27-12:57 Lunch
    1:00-1:30 Math 2
    1:30-2:20 Science/Social Studies
    2:30 Home

For bathroom breaks I send them in groups of 4 either by table after lunch, or in reading groups during centers. I did the group bathroom thing at the beginning of the year and took too much time. After lunch they are working on a math activity or meeting with me so I can send them by tables.
    I am going to add a snack time in there around ten and bathroom break while I read a book. The only thing should change is my computer time because out tech teacher always went right to 9:30 and we didn't get to specials till late.

9. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 25, 2009

I'm having such a hard time trying to figure out my class schedule for this year. We have specials first thing in the morning, which is difficult. We have a HUUUGE afternoon, nearly three hours, with no break whatsoever. Ugh.

I just thought MAYBE I could move some of the things we do first thing in the morning, to the afternoon. Instead of doing journals, book shopping, and jobs first thing, they can do all those things in the afternoon to prepare for the following day. Ahh! And journals could be more of a "what did you learn today" exercise.

Also, this may change, but I have about 5 students who will be pulled out for an ELL program two hours a day, an hour in the morning and an hour in the afternoon. The state requires that these kids have FOUR hours of ELL, but we don't have enough kids, or funding, to have a self contained class. Therefore, the teachers are expected to teach the other TWO HOURS of the ELL program! Hm that's interesting since we have less than five hours of instructional time. So anyway, I am not sure how this is going to work out, but they are not to miss math. So the way I have it set up, they will have some writing time, they will have word work, and they will have a chunk of time during literacy stations to work with me. Not two hours, but I don't really know what is expected of us right yet.

Anyway, this is what I'm thinking... maybe... any suggestions are welcome :)

8:30-8:40 Unpack/Announcements/Attendance
    8:40-9:20 Specials (Art, Music, PE, Library or Computers)
    9:20-9:25 Bathroom Break
    9:25-9:40 Morning Meeting (Greeting, sharing, morning message, shared reading/vocabulary)
    9:40-10:00 Literacy Stations (ELL & Low Groups)
    10:00-10:05 Clean Up/Readers' Prepare/Brain Break
    *10:00-11:00 ELL PULL OUT*
    10:05-10:55 Reading Workshop (Conferring w/ all)
    10:55-11:05 Clean Up/Line Up
    11:05-11:40 Lunch
    11:40-11:50 Bathroom
    11:50-12:30 Calendar/Math
    12:30-12:55 Word Work (Phonics, Spelling, Word Wall)
    12:55-1:00 Clean up/Writers' Prepare/Brain Break
    *1:20-2:20 ELL PULL OUT*
    1:00-1:40 Writing Workshop
    1:40-2:10 Science/Social Studies
    2:10-2:30 Journals/Pack up/Afternoon jobs/Book shop

10. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 26, 2009

I'm still working on my vacation schedule! I don't go back until Sept. 2nd. That is when I'll do a tentative schedule. I will have a block of 90 minutes for ELA and I'll have to block out lunch/recess and my specials. But to make a schedule I have to see who will be leaving the classroom and when. Until I know that nothing is in stone. If I have 4 children out for speech I'm not going to be teaching math, science or social studies. So my scheduling is very flexible. Sometimes each day is different except for the ELA, lunch/recess, specials. And for the first 3 or 4 days I'll definitely not have a schedule. It's a get to know you/ learn the procedures time period. After 23 years I feel very comfortable doing this and I have no desire to stress myself out over it. I feel all schedules should be flexible. If you are teaching a science lesson and the kids are enthralled with it why stop. So what if reading and math aren't taught for the day. There's always tomorrow. And this is the way my principal feels also.

11. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 12, 2009

I'd wait until you meet with your team before finalizing but your tentative schedule looks good.