What does your classroom look like?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by AndreaW, Jun 17, 2009.

1. AndreaW

AndreaW Rookie

Jun 17, 2009

Hi everyone.
    I'm doing a paper for a class and they want me to describe my classroom. I currently don't have a classroom since I'm a substitute, so this question is a bit hard. I've seen many many many classrooms but how would I answer this question for a 4th grade classroom.
    Love the help. Thanks.
    Andrea

3. LiveNLearn

LiveNLearn Comrade

Jun 18, 2009

Search the threads. There are some with really good pictures of classrooms that have great themes. Does the assignment ask about the physical features of your classroom or the classroom environment?
    I think the environment is more important then where the furniture is. I have one coworker whose classroom is really messy and cluttered. You don't get a great feeling walking into that room...:thumb:

4. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jun 18, 2009

I teach 5th, but I do not have any current pics of my classroom. Will update next month when they let me back in. I am sure right now it is a mess!

5. AndreaW

AndreaW Rookie

Jun 18, 2009

Hi, Thanks for replying. :)
    The assignment states to describe your classroom environment, how is it set up and include a floor plan.

lol I've done everything else on this report but am stuck on this portion :(

Thanks for your help.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2009

So if a parent or admin were to come into the classroom what would they see? Cooperative grouping, students working independently, teacher lecturing? Will your room be set up for student movement, centers? Where will student work be displayed?

7. frogger

frogger Devotee

Jun 18, 2009

I think what stg said is what they are looking for mainly - you can talk about the physical aspects of the room and how it will work with your students for cooperative learning, small groups, etc.

8. AndreaW

AndreaW Rookie

Jun 18, 2009

Basically....that's what the question asks for the assignment.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2009

So even though you don't have your own classroom yet, what are your plans for teaching? How would you answer those questions?

10. MissR

MissR Comrade

Jun 18, 2009

Andrea, different teachers do it different ways. This is where you get to think about what kind of teacher you'd like to be. Are you the kind with desks in rows or tables or a U shape? We have 4 fourth grade teachers and I think they all do it differently, and that's okay. The idea of the assignment is probably to get you thinking about how YOU'D like to to it, not to say how other people do it. Start with the desks, then think about what you want on the walls - mostly student work, or inspirational posters, or teaching posters, or an interactive word wall? Then what will you do with your extra space - Guided reading table, classroom library, individual research stations, meeting space on the carpet? If you think you'll pull small groups a lot, you need an area for that. If you think you'll do a lot of up and moving teaching, you'll need space for that. Of course you will probably change your mind a lot (I made my husband move a giant table all the way across my room 3 times my first year :)) But this is just an opportunity to think about the kind of teacher YOU want to be and how you can make that happen in a classroom.