What does your class do while eating snack?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Joy, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Joy

Joy Cohort

Sep 12, 2011

What do you have your students do while eating snack? When I sub, it seems like the kids are usually doing independent reading while eating snack. It seems like a good use of time but I've noticed that it doesn't seem to be teaching good eating habits. Their mind is not on what they are eating or how much they just ate. It seems like the popular thing for kids to have for snack is a mega container of fish crackers. It's convenient because then the parents don't have to pack a snack everyday but it seems like a way to really overeat. The kids are busy reading and have no idea of how much they just ate. Also in 4th or 5th grade, sometimes the kids are reading around 30 minutes long. That means that the kids are munching for about that long without thinking about what they are doing. What do other classes do while having snack? Is it worth the time spent to just have them eat snack without doing anything else?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 12, 2011

We don't have snack at the high school level. I honestly wish we did because I think that the kids need to have some nutritional sustenance at other times of the day besides just lunch.

When I was in school, snack time was dedicated for snacks, bathroom breaks, and socializing. We didn't eat while doing our work, mostly out of fear of spilling on our books.

4. Joy

Joy Cohort

Sep 12, 2011

I think the kids need to have a snack. Sometimes the mornings can get really long or some classes have lunch so early that the kids start getting hungry by the late afternoon. It just seems like the way some teachers set it up is promoting some bad eating habits. I think they are probably just trying to make good use of time.

5. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Sep 12, 2011

We usually have a working snack. They eat lunch at 11:30, but are at school until 3:30, so we usually have snack just before 2:00. They really need to eat at the point and it seems to help to keep them going for the rest of the afternoon. Sometimes I have a few minutes to spare to give them free time during their snack, but usually they eat while they're working. I don't allow them to take their snacks out until 1:50, though an then we pack up for the end of class at 2:05, so there is a time limit for their eating.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 12, 2011

I also have 'working snack'. My school has a nutrition policy and we encourage small, healthy snacks. I allow a maximum of ten minutes for snack at which time I quickly check homework folders and kids are engaged in a short piece of work. After that, snacks get packed away and we continue with our work....it is NOT a prolonged grazing period.

7. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Sep 12, 2011

When we had snack it was before a morning "special," so they finished what we were working on and I dismissed groups to use the bathroom. It worked well.

8. bondo

bondo Cohort

Sep 12, 2011

Snack is only out for 5-10 minutes. All snacks must be eaten and cleaned up by this time. I will put the start time of snack on the board and the end time. After a couple of weeks, it is like clock work. In this time I usually go over spelling words or math facts. However, if we have to get through something I will keep on going with whatever we are going over.

9. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Sep 12, 2011

We aren't really allowed to give snacks, so we don't have a designated snack time, but I would probably do as mentioned above by having it as a bathroom break, drink break, etc.

10. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Sep 12, 2011

I do my daily read aloud while they are eating. When the story is over, and we've discussed it, snack time is over.

11. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Sep 12, 2011

My students work while they snack. It is usually during independent math work time, and none of them dawdle while eating b/c they are hungry!

12. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 13, 2011

I always allowed students to get water and go to the restroom during snack. It was right before nap time.

13. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Sep 13, 2011

I let my kids visit quietly with their neighbors. My day is so busy and structured that I like to give them the down time to talk with their friends.

14. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Sep 13, 2011

I've done working snack in the past, but always limited the time to a 10 minute window. However, I really feel like this is a group that needs some time to "socialize" so I give them 10 minutes to eat, chat, and use the restroom if need be.

15. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 13, 2011

I give them 10 minutes to sit outside and eat their snack. On the days we don't switch for science, they can also play (a quick playtime).

16. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Sep 13, 2011

We don't do snack at all in my school. It's prek-5. Pre-K & K are in a separate building, so they may do snack I'm not sure. But I know 1-5 don't do snack and in the school where I student taught there was no snack k-5.

17. crunchytxmama

crunchytxmama Companion

Sep 16, 2011

Another teacher and I have a snack arrangement that I love. We eat snack at the same time, and I bring my kids across the hall to her class. They sit on the floor, eat their snack, and visit quietly, and she and I use that time to take much needed restroom breaks.

18. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Sep 16, 2011

My kids socialize during snack. They need it.

19. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 16, 2011

]Snack time is a good time for the teacher to take a step back and let students socialize but at the same time be present and teach the kids good table manners, how to socialize properly, enhance communication skills, etc. It's good for practicing what we've already learned and for teachable moments.

20. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Sep 17, 2011

I usually show them something on the internet thru the Smartboard...such as current event, weather, google something we talked about.

Our snack is fresh fruit and milk at 1:15-1:30...school grant for the first year! LOVE IT!