What does your bedroom look like?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by silverspoon65, Jul 21, 2009.

1. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 21, 2009

Now that I am moving into my own home soon, I am starting to think about how I want the house decorated. I can envision most of the rooms except the bedroom. I have NO IDEA what I want it to look like. All I know is I want it to be kind of relaxing - more cool relaxing colors than bright wild colors.

So what does yours look like? Is there a theme or color palette?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2009

The color on the walls in my room is called 'Travertine'...(it's a Martha Stewart color, a nice restful creamy tan/light brown: http://www.myperfectcolor.com/v/vspfiles/martha-stewart-paint-colors-index.asp My furniture has an Asian feel to it. Chandelier over our bed, Bed linens are a deep red paisley from Pottery Barn with tan and red accent pillows...A couple of chenille throws, books, candles...Oriental Carpet on floor. It's a haven. ;)

4. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 21, 2009

that's pretty close to the color of my living room in my apartment now. I really like it. I really like the sky blue and hydrangea colors on there, too. So maybe a dusty, purply blue. hmmmm

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

6. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 22, 2009

For a bedroom, there are a couple of things I like.

I like curtains, but with blinds underneath. You simply have to have some privacy, so the blinds are a must.

Second, I like a huge comforter rather than a bedspread. It is so much easier to make, and much more multi-purpose. They make so many great dust ruffles that are not ruffl-y at all.

I personally do not want a phone or tv in my bedroom. To me, bedrooms are for sleep and well, other things, none of which are conducive with talking on the phone or watching the evening news. I can always bring the cordless phone in if I need it. But there are some people who can't sleep without the tv, and if you are one of those people, then the placement of the tv is important, and you need to consider that in your layout.

Other things that affect layout is where you want your alarm clock. Some want it right next to the bed, so they must have room for the bed and a nightstand. Others (like me) put the alarm away from the bed (so they have to actually get up to turn it off -- no falling back to sleep.) It is also much easier to see the clock if it is a bit away -- but it depends on your needs.

I also love a chandelier, and having the lights on a dimmer switch is very nice too.

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2009

I have walnut-stained solid pine furniture, hardwood floors, and white paint on walls & ceiling. I like it dark, so I have room-darkening blinds, also white.

Furniture includes a headboard for the bed, a night stand, a double dresser with mirror, a chest of drawers, and two wall-mounted shelves.

Curtains are black & white toile. Bed skirt is white (straight, not ruffly), the sheets are white, and the blanket is white. The bedspread is a black & white quilt made by my mom. I hate stepping out on cold floors, so there is a black rug by my side of the bed.

The nightstand has a small lamp, an alarm clock, a phone, and shelves for tissues, books, water, glasses, etc.

I didn't really want a phone or television in my bedroom, but I have both. I discovered--by accident--that if the phone rings and I get up quickly to answer it, that I PASS OUT! So, as long as I'm taking one particular medication, I needed a phone right by the bed. The TV ended up there after we inherited it from DH's grandmother. We already had three televisions for two people, so it went in the bedroom.

The window, closet, and door placements limited where we could put our bed, but I had to make sure that the bed was positioned so that I could see the door. I cannot sleep in a room where I can't see the door. Silly, but a requirement for me.

Some people like a chair or bench in the bedroom, but we didn't need one. There is a bench and a chair in the guest room so visitors can dress in comfort without having to sit on the bed. We don't dress or undress or need to sit in our bedroom, so no chairs.

8. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 22, 2009

Our current bedroom set-up is a disaster-miss-matched furniture, a futon my in-laws thought we wanted, my wedding dress on a dress form, a file cabinet, three bikes and my teaching stuff. Yuck.

I have dreams, though. I have guest room planned out more than my main bedroom. I want my guest room to be black and white with hints of chartreuse in it. A black frame poster bed with white gauze curtains, a white bedspread with shabby chic accents-maybe a cool white chandelier, candles-white and chartruese everywhere, etc. My wedding dress on a vintage dress form in the corner, hardwood floors, simple art in black frames on the walls-maybe a tan on the walls? White roses in a dramatic black vase. Black dresser and bookcases.

I'm not sure about our room yet. I LOVE red-a deep, hearty red like Pottery Barn uses a lot.

9. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 22, 2009

We bought a spec house a couple of years ago and it seems like the master bedroom will be the last room completed. The house was builder beige pretty much throughout, so we have repainted everything. Now I just need to get started on the master.

I took a faux painting class a couple of years ago and will be doing a technique with luster stone in the master bath. The room gets a lot of light and the marble dust in the luster stone will show up great. The color of the luster stone is eggplant--my DH husband loves purple and this is the closest shade we could agree on. I'm still not crazy about it, but I get the rest of the house and the actual bdrm. Once the bath is done, I'm going to pick something a warm that coordinates for the bdrm. I haven't decided what color yet.

10. KinderMissN

KinderMissN Companion

Jul 22, 2009

We are black and cream with red accents. Right now we have mis-matched furniture. I am looking forward to eventually getting a matched set. I love our bedroom and I try to keep anything work-related out of it. We have no TV and the only phone is our chargers for our cell phones. Once we move into our new house, I am trying to unify all of our rooms. Our kitchen, master, and living rooms will have red tones. Our guest bath, guest room and spare room will have navy and blue tones.

11. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Jul 22, 2009

Ours is wonderful! We have a bed with a dark walnut frame, matching book shelf, and night stands. On each night stand is a brushed silver lamp with a green shade. Our bedspread changes in the spring and fall. For spring we have a light weight purple, orange and blue comforter. In the fall we have a green, brown and light green comforter that's much heavier. We have throw pillows in orange and purple. It actually works very well together. The curtains are green and brown (two layers) plus a blind. We have one green lay-z-boy chair that I would love to get rid of, it's there simply because it isn't an objectionable color and we can't seem to find someone to give it to.

Oh and on the book shelf we keep novels, candles, and a dim light.

12. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Jul 22, 2009

when deciding on a bedroom motif, i think you first need to think about how you want to feel in there. me, i've got a ton of nervous energy, so my bedroom is very earthy to help me maintain a calm state of mind.

i have a cream colored dresser and night stand and bed, with medium blue carpet, a indian bedspread that is burgundy, forest green and dark gold, several stacks of books on my mahogany trunk.

ALSO:
    one thing that's helped my sleep tremendously that I would recommend is NOT having a television or your computer in your bedroom. i used to stay up all night on the internet and watching shows from bed until my eyes were literally crossing and I'd conk out late.

now, my computer and tv are kept in a seperate room (my office). i find myself sleeping better and reading more.