What does you inservice consist of?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by skittleroo, Jul 26, 2010.

1. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2010

Another thread got me thinking.....so I am curious.......
    We go back to school August 16th and the kids come back the 23rd.
    We have a whole week of inservice consisting of a day of policies, a day of district staff development, a day of campus staff development, and district convocation - then a full day work day to get ready for the kids.

How many days is your inservice time before kids come and what things do ya'll do during that time?

3. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 26, 2010

We have two days of PD... one is District (which usually involves PD directed towards grade level/subject matter) and one is in school. Then we have three days that are all for getting the classroom ready.

4. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2010

W:rolleyes:W. Now I am jealous over that...... I wish we got 3 days paid to set up our rooms. We should all get that. We have to come on our own time.

5. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 26, 2010

I should state, I may be off by a day... it may be another day of school PD and then two days to set up rooms... but still... it's nice!

6. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Jul 26, 2010

We have two days of inservice. The first day is full of district paperwork and inservice meetings. The next day we are in our own building. New teachers meet with the P in the morning, which gives us the morning to work in our rooms. Then we have some type of PD the rest of the day with the P. So, new teachers do not get any time to work on their classrooms during those two days. And the rest of us have a morning to work on them.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2010

We have one day of in-school PD; about half the day will be spent on annual Health and Safety trainings and half on discussion of low-achieving students and strategies to reach them. Other than that, we are free, beginning August 26th, to spend as much (or little) time working in our classrooms and collaborating with colleagues as we would like.

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 26, 2010

Our introductory inservice day (just one for us) is on the 20th. We'll find out the final results of the March state tests and discuss how to use those results to change our structure. We'll also have breakouts by subject and grade to discuss strategies. After that, it's four days of prepping our classrooms with the kids starting on the 27th.

9. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Jul 26, 2010

We have two staff days before school starts.

The first one is a division wide faith development day (we are a Catholic system). This year that means that we will get together for Church and the regular "rah-rah beginning of the year talk" for about 2 hours in the morning. The rest of the day is spent doing school-based service projects as our district theme this year is "service". Most years we have a speaker for this day.

The second day is done at our schools. We have a staff meeting for between 1 and 2 hours in the morning and the rest of the day is ours to work on getting things ready.

This is a Thursday and Friday and then we start full force on Monday mornings.

10. SATX4

SATX4 Rookie

Jul 26, 2010

I have absolutely no info about our inservice for this year :-O

I am starting at a new school (Catholic), so I have no clue!

We have to be there August 2-6 and then 9-11. The kids start on the 12th. As far as I know there is no schedule, yet (we have a new principal as well). So, we will see...

11. ecochick

ecochick Rookie

Jul 26, 2010

We have 4 days before the kids start.
    about one and a half to get our rooms ready/meeting with subject area and two and a half for professional development at both the school and district level. We will discuss test scores, discipline, grading, etc.

I often go in early just to get some of my classroom stuff done before we actually start the week.

12. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 26, 2010

We usually get 2 weeks, but they cut way back this year. We are due back on the 9th for one day then required to come back on the 17th for 3 days of pd. It's a lot to get into 3 days when you're used to having so much more time-we have policy/handbook review, RTI, IAT, Spec. Ed, evaluation process, each subject area's lead teacher, technology.

I'm definitely going in the week before to work on my room.

13. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2010

We go back August 13th. We start school the 23. We have a district meeting. Every school in our district (44 schools) meets at one of the huge church auditoriums in our area. We have a sort of pep rally and show off our school spirit. We have a motivational guest speaker. Our superintendent discussed previous years scores, areas for growth and our current goals.
    The other days are spent with PD on our campus. We rotate throughout rooms in our building hearing the heads of various departments (sped, librarian, GT, math coach, IT, administration, etc.) discuss how their department works and what we need to be doing in our classroom and working together, blah blah blah.
    We are usually given a day or 2 to work in our room. We also have Meet the Teacher one of those days. We are also expected to do some team planning and vertical planning during some of the time.

14. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Jul 26, 2010

This year will be different in that we have 3 Inservice days while last year we had 2.

Last year 1 day was devoted to district-wide pep speech, policies/procedures, legalities, etc. The second day was broken up with the morning for building-wide meetings and then the afternoon was our time to work in the classroom.

I use the classroom working time to finish up anything I forgot to do the other dozens of times I stopped by to work in the room.

I would imagine this year the 3rd day will be for grade level meetings to discuss test scores and align our content to short-cycle assessments (ughhh).

15. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 26, 2010

We have a week before the kids get back. The first day is a "we love each other" fest with food. Then us ESE teachers have a mandatory training day on the latest in IDEA. I'll end up with three days to work in my room. :)

16. meeko32198

meeko32198 Rookie

Jul 26, 2010

I had my first day of in-service training today and it was wonderful. There are 5 days (4 for existing teachers) of meetings within the whole district. The first day was culture and history of the people. This was really interesting as I'm working on a Native American Reservation. The rest of the week is working with our new curriculum that is being adopted through the district. The last day is new teacher orientation.

Then we have a school professional development for 2 days next week, during which we will get time to work on our classrooms. Then the kids start on that Wednesday.

17. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 26, 2010

We have ZERO days of inservice before school starts. Kids start on the 17th and so do we. We can go in anytime we want to set up our rooms or do whatever, but we don't get paid for those days. I am very jealous :(

We have a first teachers meeting at the end of the day on the first day of :dizzy: This had never made any sense to me, but since it has been this way for the 16 years I have worked for this district I doubt there will be change anytime soon. Our district has never wanted to pay for any extra days when we aren't directly engaged in the instruction of children. :dizzy:

18. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jul 26, 2010

We have 3 days before the students come back. They consist of staff meetings at the school. Friday afternoon we usually have a meet and greet where parents and students come in to meet us and see the classroom.

I have been working every morning for the past 2 weeks to make sure I only have very little to do during those days because I highly doubt we will have any free time. Something ALWAYS seems to come up....

19. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Jul 26, 2010

We have one day before the kids come back. We spend about half of it with the whole school to hear speeches. We then have a meeting in our school library for our whole staff. But I don't really consider it PD as it is basically reviewing everything that we are responsible for the year. We don't get any days paid to get classrooms ready or curriculum ready. I am very jealous of those of you that have 3 or 4 days to work in your classroom and get paid for it.

20. MissMaurie

MissMaurie Companion

Jul 26, 2010

We spend two days at our school, one at district "pep rally", and one in content training. That leaves one day to work in your room. But they seem to find a way to monopolize your time on that day as well.

One word can describe that week...CRAP