What does this pandemic teach us educators?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Tyler B., May 15, 2020.

1. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

May 15, 2020

I can think of three things right off:

1) Teachers are really really really important.

2) Distance learning has so many problems, it should be regarded as emergency use only for most students. It's not equal to classroom learning since it seems to be only working for well-supported students. As teachers, we can't allow ourselves to be defeated by the obvious inadequacies of distance learning. A dear friend, who's a kindergarten teacher in a low income area, is thinking of quitting because she's distraught over the lack of connections with her students. We can't allow the loss of talented, committed educators.

3) We must do something about the effects of the economic gaps in resources. Internet access is not a luxury, but a necessity that should be public and free like highways, fire and police.

What else?

mrsf70, nstructor and readingrules12 like this.
  3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 15, 2020

Teachers know how to step up and get it done! With no notice, teachers put together and communicated a distance/remote learning plan. They communicated that plan to their students and families and they continue to adapt that plan to best meet the needs of their students.
    It is so hard to do this job without the face-to-face contact with students. When I'm in the classroom, I can tell who is struggling, who is having a bad day, who is in crisis. Now, I can't and I feel helpless. I also sorely miss the smiles, laughs, and high-5s.

I love this question, by the way!

4. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

May 15, 2020

But it won't be. In the era of covid, it will be mandatory.

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 15, 2020

Lowering class sizes needs to be a priority (as it has always been).

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 15, 2020

Now, more than ever, there is no one-size-fits-all.

ecteach, Guitart and mrsf70 like this.
  7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 15, 2020

We managed to survive the year with a significant reduction to the amount of standardized testing we made students do, and everyone survived. Maybe testing students ad nauseam isn't necessary?

8. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

May 16, 2020

Standardized testing was not imposed to help students or inform teachers. Since the early 2000's it's been purposed to punish "bad" schools and root out lazy teachers with the stated goal of improving schools.

It's been profoundly ineffective at school improvement, with the results mostly of compacting the curriculum to tested items and the loss of enormous numbers of instructional hours used for testing prep and testing. Instead of smaller class sizes, increased teacher support, greater classroom resources, and targeted teacher training, teachers have dealt with basically useless tests. These tests have been highly effective at identifying low income areas.

Yes, time to drop these tests.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  9. Guitart

Guitart Companion

May 16, 2020

I have 500+ students. Remotely, I have 300 at best that are active. I was given the same online expectations as my colleagues with 20 students to manage. All I have time for is pretty much keeping up on email. It is unrealistic to think I can "Zoom" with all 22 classes, make instructional videos, call the 200 homes that are MIA, and provide equal support that a teacher with one class can provide.

10. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

May 16, 2020

I love #3 on your list.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I think this shows me how important in class instruction is to those with special needs. My students are trying so hard, but they REALLY need hands on instruction with a PERSON in front of them. Although, I really already knew this.

I also learned how loud and chaotic my students' houses are. At times I wonder if the families are showing off, because it's so ridiculous. They don't even try to find a quieter spot. I don't want to discourage their participation, so I just tell them to mute unless I call on them to answer.

I've also learned how many people seemingly never worked with their children for long periods of time on school work before. Some of my closest friends act like they forgot how to write a paragraph, do simple math, or answer comprehension questions. I think it also shows me (possibly) how behind grade level some of the kids I know personally might be. After all, it's supposed to be their work, and not their parents' work. I wouldn't think teachers were sending home BRAND NEW material for remote learning. But, I could be wrong about this one.

Also, with no disrespect intended, it has showed me that central office staff are not necessary in large numbers. We, as the teachers, had to do EVERYTHING! We haven't even been offered help with copying packets by anyone at central office. Our director has not sent 1 email. She has not personally reached out to ANYONE at my school, and I have a feeling she hasn't reached out to anyone else either. WE ARE DOING THIS ON OUR OWN, and you know what??? We're good! So, from now on, LEAVE US ALONE and treat us like the professionals that we are.

Sermon complete. (wink, wink)

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  11. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

May 16, 2020

1. I am astounded by the lack of discipline in some homes. I have had some top notch students refuse and throw fits when their parents try to get them to do routine school tasks.
    2. In the scheme of things, assignment completion is not that important for many kids during this time.
    3. I am astonished too by how immature some parents are. They want to protect their kid from any negative event during school, but are allowing their kids to go to sleep overs and birthday parties.
    4. Kids really miss school for the most part. I figured most of the kids were having a hay day playing at home with little work. It turned out most of these kids miss school. Some are even showing signs of depression.
    5. Kids have been driving their parents crazy here. Many appear to have a strong appreciation for what we do now. A few are just mad that their kids are not able to be at school with their "babysitters"...their words) and free breakfast/lunch given to them. They now have to pick it up if they want it.
    6. This has really struck home with me the need for kids to have socialization. I have seen some really sad kids at Zoom. Some were live wires before this happened. Of the saddest cases: One of these kids is getting 0 outings, but the other is getting to every party and sleep over. Maybe it is the structure they need the most.

MrsC likes this.
  12. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

May 16, 2020

Classroom management very difficult. Yelling at a kid to pay attention has no effect. I can't tell if kids are following along or on some other site. One Asian person is taking notes on me , I think she is a nanny or some sort of caretakers - the kid is not Asian!

13. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 17, 2020

well...
    1. why would you yell at a kid in a classroom or over the computer the first place?
    2. a teacher will look absolutely crazy trying to yell at a kid in an online class and I t's on record, so not very smart.
    3. who cares if a caretaker is taking notes?
    4. they might be taking notes for the kid, not about you.
    5. who cares if she's Asian?

Milsey, glad to see you kept your personality through all this craziness and haven't lost your touch :rofl::toofunny:

futuremathsprof likes this.
  14. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

May 27, 2020

Because Mystic Maven - her screen name - was lounging on a couch , not sitting up straight!! I had already asked her to sit up straight and she ignored me! That sort of attitude gets me mad.

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 28, 2020

:toofunny: