What does teacher do during small group?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by ms.pekkle, Oct 13, 2013.

1. ms.pekkle

ms.pekkle Rookie

Oct 13, 2013

I teach kindergarten and have only begun small group (the rest of the class in stations) recently. What I've been doing with my low small groups is assessing them (letter/sound recognition during reading block, and number recognition during math block)

I am a little confused what I do during small group besides assessing on the basics. Do I prepare activities for the small group based on how they're doing on objectives we do as whole group? Where do you find resources to do these activities?

Thanks for the help.

3. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Oct 13, 2013

Yes, absolutely. You can use dry erase boards and have them sound out words you give them to review sounds. I would use leveled readers based on their levels to introduce them to things like tracking print and read chorally with them. I've even played games like Slap with high frequency word cards, etc. Any game that they can play as a workstation, you can do with them in small group to really focus on the skills they need to work on.

4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Oct 13, 2013

Absolutely that! Small groups is a time to work on the skills they are struggling with. In my groups we read leveled readers, small books, phonics readers, etc. After you have worked on a skill then you will want to assess again to see if they have now mastered it. For me, Fridays are always a good day to do assessments with my groups (sometimes the whole small group at once, or one on one, whatever works for you).

5. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Oct 13, 2013

FCRR (Florida Center for Reading Research {I think}) is a great (free) resource for small group AND intervention materials!

6. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Oct 13, 2013

Sounds like you're starting at the beginning in terms of building a curriculum for small group reading time, so I'd suggest a good book that has both theory and practical application (e.g., Direct Instruction by Carnine et al) as well as a curriculum that will help you structure things up. A simple and cheap way of figuring out what kind of activities are included in that kind of curriculum (if you can't afford or don't have access to the full one) is to buy one of the teacher manuals for one of the levels (see link below) and build more advanced activities from those initial lessons. If you're doing only K level stuff as well, you probably don't need more than one or two of the manuals anyway:

http://eps.schoolspecialty.com/products/details.cfm?seriesonly=3250AM#pricebox_filter

You may need to get the intro package with this particular curriculum (Sounds Sensible) so one of the singular manuals not may necessarily work, but a lot of curricula do offer schools/teachers the ability to purchase individual segments of the curriculum, and curricula tend to be repetitive with lesson structures, so that's a good way to learn the structure of lessons to include.

7. kimeger26

kimeger26 New Member

Oct 15, 2013

This is great for word work...

From TPT -- it's called "Word Work Activity Task Sheets"

They have good skills for the kids to practice, and they also are just what it says "activity sheets". My kids love them.

8. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Oct 15, 2013

A professor once told us that small group is like the old fashioned whole group, except now you have only a few in your whole. Because you have only a few, you can do so much more.

You only need a few I-pads, trade books, white boards, geoboards, and such. You are close by to monitor and 'fix' the few. The goals can be unique to the few.

9. ms.pekkle

ms.pekkle Rookie

Oct 16, 2013

Thank you all! I find myself thinking a lot more than I need to. Is that a good thing? I student taught in 2nd and 3rd grade. I only saw stations (somewhat) in 2nd grade.

kimeger26, thanks for the tip!

Rabbitt, that is a great way of thinking of stations!

I have been reading Differentiatedkindergarten.com and I love her stations pocket chart system for math. She has numbers - on the pocket chart and the math plastic containers that have the materials. I've attached a picture for reference.

[​IMG]

This seems like an effective system. Do you all recommend I use it for both math and literacy stations pocket chart? Or is it necessary to label the literacy stations: listening, pocket chart, writing, etc. (Label on the pocket chart and the actual station in the room)