What does spelling look like in your room?

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by Kinderbug26, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Kinderbug26

Kinderbug26 Rookie

Aug 18, 2008

Hi again.
    I am wondering what everyone does for spelling and how to teach it to kids. I don't want to give them words and drill them into their heads without making some sort of meaning to them. I am looking for new ideas. Thanks!

3. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Aug 18, 2008

I honestly do not spend much time at all on spelling...we have so much to do, so I leave spelling as more of an at home thing.

Every Friday I give the spelling test then give the new words. For the new words we have a pretest, where the kids fold the paper in half and number it 1 to 10. I say each word and in a sentence, and they give thier best guesses on how to spell it. After all 10 are given we go and check our answers. I go one word at a time and write it on the board. We talk about if there was any tricky part of the word.

As they check thier words they do "dots and circles". This is actually part of the spelling program. They put a dot under every letter they had correct, and a circle under any incorrect letters. I like doing it thins way becasue it keeps them involved during the whole pretest, even if they do have them all correct. After doing the dots and circles for a word they write it correctly on the other side of the paper, even if they had it correct bf.

so by the time the pretest is done they have a paper with 2 columns of words. One column may be incorrectly spelled and has lots of dots and circles, the other column is allo correct spelling, mathcing what I have on the board.

Our spelling lists all follow some type of pattern or rule, so at the end of the pretest I ask if they noticed what the pattern was in our words and we discuss it.

Now as for the rest of the week... they will do some pages independently (not in he first month though...it is whole group in sept.), they will complete 3 or 4 HW assignments with the words, and they will do some work stations that involve the words. Usually we will play a spelling game once a week, if i get to it, like cherry pie or telephone spelling (big telephone, every number mathes 3 letters, they add up what the word is worth based on the corresponding numbers). We will fit that in sometimes during math.

For the most part, our spelling program has pretty easy words. So after a couple of weeks I start doing a bonus word that may go with sci or ss, or a word they keep spelling wrong in writing workshop.

That's it...another test on friday and a prestest again... not much other whole group spelling instruction besides on fridays.

4. fuzzybunnie

fuzzybunnie Rookie

Aug 18, 2008

I use Zoophonics for spelling lists because it's nice and systematic. Miss Hunny I like the idea of your pretest and I will try to use it. Anyway, some of the words in the Zoophonics are a little wierd (like "mar") So I post a picture on the board depicting each word. Most of the practice is done at home with worksheets. In class I use Cunningham's Month to Month phonics and I do an activity with the high frequency words every day (I use the dolch list because there's some good resource material for them on line at

5. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Rookie

Aug 18, 2008

I post new spelling words each Monday after our game of "Hangman" which I actually call "Stickman". Then, the Ss write the spelling words in their agendas. Sometimes we play other games with the words (i.e., Shaving Cream spelling, plastercine manipulation, cut out letters from magazines to make the words etc.). I have a spelling test every Friday. Kids get a star on our spelling chart for a perfect test. All kids get a sticker or stamp on their spelling test for trying.

6. MissR

MissR Comrade

Aug 18, 2008

We use Rebecca Sitton spelling. Every day for about 10 minutes we do a whole group spelling activity like sorting words or thinking up ways to use "to" and "two". At the end of a unit they do a cloze test and fill in the blanks to a story. The words they miss are sent home to practice and eventually the words will come up again in a cloze test down the line. The whole idea is that it translates to their writing and we keep them accountable for spelling words correctly in their writing, not just on one test at the end of the week.

7. RugRats

RugRats Companion

Aug 22, 2008

I make a somewhat big deal about spelling in my class. I relate it to being good readers and writers. I spend about 10 minutes each day on spelling.

Every Monday we get a new set of words. We stretch each word, count the sounds, then box them. All as a whole group. Then, they write their words on small business sized note cards and put them in their homework folder.

Tuesday through Friday I focus on the main sound/pattern/blend touched on in the spelling words. I do a mini lesson on the focus then review the words. I use a variety of ways to review each list: Overhead, on the board, letter scrambles, clapping, stomping, whisper phones....

Friday we have our spelling test. While I grade for spelling my main concern in the grasping on the focus that week. If the focus is short a then I look to see that they used the short a in the correct spot for each letter. If I see that they are still using o or u or any other vowel then I know it's a sound I need to reteach. Does that make sense?

When it all comes down to it I do a lot of phonemic awareness mixed in with my spelling. Phonemic Awareness is something I feel first grade needs a lot of the whole year :).

For homework I give them a choice of how to practice it. Since I give out weekly homework instead of daily, they get four choices and pick the order they would like to do them in. I use the spelling practice list someone posted on this website (rainbow write, write the words then draw shapes around them...).

8. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 22, 2008

I have been going crazy with spelling with my second, third and fourth graders, developing my own program for individualized spelling and what not.... I am just relieved to NOT have to do spelling tests this year!

I am going to focus on the word wall words, word families, etc. If for some reason later in the year I feel I need to challenge kids, I will do individual spelling again based on their mistakes. They only have 5 words anyway, so it's not that hard.