What Does My Special Ed Classroom Need?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by ITeach4Him, Jul 30, 2007.

1. ITeach4Him

ITeach4Him Comrade

Jul 30, 2007

I'm new to Special Education this year. I will have Elementary K-5 kids and while I do have a classroom, I will be doing inclusion this year.

We will still have some content mastery in my classroom. My Question: What do I need in my classroom as far as visuals for them?

I'm ready to decorate my room, but don't know what I should do. I have lots of manipulatives for them and curricula, but want a wonderful, cozy room. Do I need a theme?

Thanks for any advice! :hugs:

3. jnation

jnation Companion

Jul 30, 2007

The theme is really up to you. I've found that most spec ed teachers at my school tend to use posters that serve some sort of function. Alphabet, strategies for reading unknown words, multiplication chart, etc. I'm trying to switch to this style, but I also like to include fun things like my job chart, homeworkopoly, and various inspirational posters. The possibilities are endless and it's really up to you what you decide to do.

4. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2007

I like to put up current events, both national and local, on one of my bulletin boards. I also find that decorating with the students own work makes for a warm and cozy spot to learn.

5. kabd54

kabd54 Cohort

Jul 31, 2007

I have posters with the months of the year, days of the week, colours, shapes, lots of words - both as a word wall/reference, and also as labels, i.e. table, rocking chair, computer, etc. I also have the alphabet, both manuscript and cursive, multiplication tables and seasonal vocabulary and pictures. I display their work as well.

I try to decorate so that most of what is on the walls or bulletin boards becomes reference material for them. That's not to say that I don't indulge in bulletin board materials that change with the seasons!! (I'm a sucker for cutesie stuff :blush: - D.J. Inkers is one of my favourites!)

6. bridge

bridge Rookie

Aug 2, 2007

~ Plants- real or fake (this may also depend on your students!) I like a tall tree for them to sit under sometimes.
    ~ Stuffed critters- probably placed out of reach of your youngest students (at least until you get to know them)- I've had these in a
    6th grade classroom.

7. ITeach4Him

ITeach4Him Comrade

Aug 2, 2007

Thanks for the wonderful tips!