What does it mean?

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by cutNglue, Feb 7, 2009.

1. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 7, 2009

I know I have to make a 177 to pass the reading and math portions of the Praxis I in Maryland. I THINK the total score is 190. What I can't figure out is if you do percentages then 177 is an A! What's the real story? I want to know what my score is percentage wise. I am not settling for "passing."

3. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Feb 7, 2009

I bet TG can help you with that. I know here, we take TeXes and the total score is 300 anything under 240 is a failing grade.

4. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Feb 7, 2009

There is no way to get the information you want. The closest you could come would be to compare your raw score to the maximum possible raw score. But you still don't know how the questions are weighted relative to each other, or relative to other forms of the test.

You might want to read the Understanding Your Praxis Scores. The range of possible scores is 150 to 190. A score of 177 would be in the average performance range (middle 50% of examinees. That sounds more like a C than an A to me.

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 7, 2009

I was looking more or less for a precentile chart than a percentage though either one would be fine. Darn it. That's just not fair. I work so hard to pass a test and I want to know if I did good or not.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 11, 2009

The passing score on most teacher tests falls in a range that would be somewhere between a C and an F anywhere else. Praxis exams report actual scores for passing as well as for failing, I believe; cutNglue, if you don't come pretty near acing this thing, it will most likely be a fluke, and I can't even imagine you failing.