What does an average day in a middle school class look like?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Joshua Winn, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Joshua Winn

Joshua Winn Rookie

Jul 7, 2016

I had my first interview for a middle school English/Language Arts position a couple of weeks ago and was not hired. I have another interview with another middle school tomorrow and I am determined to go in prepared and get this job!

One question I was asked that I am curious to get some input on is "what does an average day in your classroom look like?" How would you answer this question?

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 7, 2016

This is a tough one because everyone's class is going to look different. My class (grade 7) is very student-driven; lots of collaboration, conversation, partner and group work. My classroom is almost never quiet; there's a constant buzz of activity. I'm pretty laid back and casual; I laugh and joke with my students a lot. They know where the line is though, and rarely try to cross it. I'll happily throw plans out the window to talk about something that's going on in the world, the community or the school, or just to play some games or go outside if we all need it. I'm a fierce Mama Bear when it comes to my students. Most know that at the beginning of the year because they have heard it from previous students; they all know it by the end of the first couple of weeks. I'm tough with them; I have high expectations of their behaviour, their character and their effort. I don't accept "good enough".

That's all me though; my style won't work for everyone. What do you envision your classroom looking (and sounding) like?

4. Mr.Literature

Mr.Literature Companion

Jul 21, 2016

I ALWAYS have a warm-up on a PowerPoint. There have been many days when admin has walked in and my kids have been quietly working on their warm-up and not messing around. Warm-ups are a fantastic way to review what you just worked on, help introduce material, and keeping your kids quiet while you take attendance. Usually my warm-ups are like 5-10 minutes long. If we are doing a reading, we will only be doing that for one period. Language Arts teachers have students for 2 periods where I work. So first half could be discussion and reading. And I always try to have an activity for them to do the second half of class. I do a lot of cooperative work because I have intensive kids and they really do benefit from getting to work together. I use A LOT of materials I've gotten from Teachers Pay Teachers. I'm an addict...
    Or I come up with assignments that incorporate some type of creative element. You'll be amazed by the artists in your class.
    In between periods I allow my kids to go and use the restroom and stretch their legs. Whenever I need them to get papers or a pencil case with all of their materials for the assignment I always ask for ONE person from each group to come and get those things. Kids love to help and it saves on having 20+ kids running to get materials and having a mess.
    Something else I do is always try and incorporate videos into my lessons. Our kids are so visual. And when they see something, it is so much easier for them to understand what they are reading.
    I teach 8th grade ELA and love it.

5. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Jul 24, 2016

A lot of drama and chattiness to be sure. There has to be some movement in your class, so I would often get students to act something out or do stations.