What does a writing center look like?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teacher_cc, Aug 14, 2008.

1. teacher_cc

teacher_cc Rookie

Aug 14, 2008

I'm so overwhelmed right now, went into my empy, untouched classroom and DID NOT know where to begin. So, I arranged desks, decided on groups of 6 (the only thing that seemed to work w/ the space I had).

Now, I'm trying to figure out what stations I need in the classroom. I want a writing center. I'm not sure what to put in the center or where to begin. I will be working w/ 3rd graders. Does anyone have suggestions?

3. smgreen78

smgreen78 Rookie

Aug 14, 2008

I usually start out with very little, then add more as I teach students how to use the materials. The first year I put everything out, and many things were wasted.

I start out with different types of lined paper and different types of writing tools (pens, pencils, markers, gel pens, etc.). I teach them how to use staples (surpising enough- but they will want to use 15 staples down the spine of a book). Painters tape and masking tape for binding things. Envelopes (1st grade expectation is letter writing). Special stationary.

A lot of the stuff I purchased at the dollar store, or parents donated it to the class.

The main idea is to really introduce things one at a time, and make sure that the materials are aligned with your state standards.

4. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Aug 16, 2008

5. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 16, 2008

I also have special stationary, envelopes, different kinds of writing paper, their personal dictionaries, etc.

I have markers, tape, staplers and things like that in the art area.