What does a job offer look like?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by redtop, Jun 5, 2013.

1. redtop

redtop Companion

Jun 5, 2013

Mrs. Redtop has been teaching in Canada for 8 years, and I honestly know almost nothing of how the administrative process works there.

She's been recommended to hire by a school department head and principal, had been pre-approved by the "central office" so presumably it's all over but the paperwork. But my question is, what will the paperwork normally say? Is there anything to watch out for?

I keep hearing about teachers "signing a contract" but do you actually sign a contract with a school? What does it obligate each party to?

In case it matters, there is indeed a teachers union and she would definitely want to join.

Last night the hiring coordinator called and asked for documents verifying her prior teaching experience, so we sent them a bunch of stuff. The maximum starting step for new teachers is 9, she has 8 years of regular teaching experience but it sounds like they are trying to squeeze her a 9th based on things like summer school, LTS, a private school she taught in for a couple months, her graduate assistantship.

What, if anything, should we be on the lookout for?

3. teachart

teachart Comrade

Jun 5, 2013

Wish I knew - I will be watching the replies you get.
    I've been through a phone interview, panel interview, demo lesson, and now interview with the Super on Monday. I HOPE they offer me a job that day. So anxious!

4. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Jun 5, 2013

The contract is basically just an agreement of responsibilities for both parties - it will include things like salary, work hours, professional development requirements, insurance, etc.

The major thing to look out for is to see if it's a temporary contract or probationary contract. A temp contract means that it's a 10 month position, and at the end, you are no longer a district employee. Probationary means tenure track, and they can still lay you off, but you have job rights and things like that unless they choose to non-reelect you at the end of the year.

I don't know how common temp contracts are in your area, but it seems like more and more schools are moving toward that in California because it allows them to fill positions one year at a time in an unstable budget.

5. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Jun 5, 2013

I teach in NYC and i did not physically sign a contract ( hr just calls you to confirm you're hired)

6. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jun 5, 2013

I signed a 1 page contract, which is pretty simple and easy to read and understand. It is accompanied by a booklet of maybe 30-40 pages that contains everything I need to know.
    You just want to make sure it does say the correct amount of salary, steps / columns, double check the hours, days / year, etc.

I myself wasn't looking at it from the point of view of 'being on the look out', they weren't trying to cheat me out of anything, they offered me a job, I took it, and I knew the contract is there to back everything up.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 5, 2013

Most offers are pending board approval.

Yes, she signs a contract...which will typically state the step she's hired on and the salary. Really just a salary offer, one page.

If there's a union in her district, she can get a copy of the actual 'contract' which lays out all the agreements and stipulations...

8. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Jun 5, 2013

My contract was just a one page thing with info like pay and expectations.(follow school/district rules, ect) I was surprised how basic it really was.

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 5, 2013

What state did she get a job in? That will help us give a clearer answer. Things are radically different in North Carolina, and I know that was an area you were looking in.

10. redtop

redtop Companion

Jun 6, 2013

The job is in Maryland.

Surprisingly, she hasn't gotten a single interview in North Carolina, despite "living" there (it's the address that shows on her resume), that it's the first state she was licensed in, and that they have a statewide system where you can effectively apply for jobs in every county at once.