What does a HS diploma mean where you live?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Tired Teacher, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Comrade

Aug 24, 2019

The meaning of 1 here is that you showed up enough and did some work.
    It doesn't mean that you know how to do anything in particular.
    It is not hard to get a D because they have lowered the requirements for passing. When I was a kid, a 70 was the lowest D you could get. Now a 70 is a C.
    Plus, many districts require teachers to put at least 50% down in their grade books even if a kid never turned the paper/work in at all. Then they need to show a reteach grade on top of the 50%.
    With all of the accommodations we have to make for kids with IEP's, a degree does not guarantee they know how to do basic math, read, or write.
    I was just reminded of this by a post and a young guy I know. He graduated HS and applied for a job at a hotel. The owner of the hotel told him, " I don't care if you have a diploma or not. I want to see if you can do basic math." During the interview, the guy had to take a test of basic math skills. He told me that it was hard, but he passed it.
    At times, I am afraid our jobs are becoming more and more like underpaid babysitter jobs. I can't post links so copied and pasted a bit :
    According to Care.com data, the average weekly child care cost for one infant child is $199 for a family care center, $211 for a day care center and $596 for a nanny.
    If we take the lowest shown of about $200 a day, and multiply it by how many kids we have in our classes, we'd be making the bucks we deserve.
    Don't get me wrong, I love to teach. I am really having fun with 1 group who are learning academics and how to become productive citizens. I am just getting bored with so many kids that are practicing how to make a zero or the alphabet in 3rd grade. Society needs to put their $ where their mouths are and revamp our system.
    Maybe HS diplomas could be developed into specialty areas. Some kids want to be chefs. We need to bring Home Ec back imo along with strong vocational skills. Teach builders to build, mechanics to kids who are inclined, plumbing to those interested, and computer tech to those inclined etc. I know it is the "old school" tracking system, but we need plumbers, builders, electricians, mechanics, and computer techs. Then focus also on the ones who want to be doctors, lawyers, vets, teachers, etc. Teach them what they need to know to go to college.
    If kids left HS w/ a meaningful degree or skill, I bet it'd bring our unemployment rates down and standard of living up.

3. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Aug 24, 2019

Wow, your district and others like them sound absolutely worthless. What I love that my private school does, and we don’t have to answer to uppity administrators at a central district office, is that we don’t issue D letter grades at all. You either pass with an A, B, or C or you get an F. If your final grade is below a 70%, then you receive an F on your official transcript.

The sad part is that I have spoken with many, many college representatives and they have said how they have to adjust the GPA’s of incoming students from certain public schools because their grades are so inflated so that students pass. My school’s grading system is never adjusted — it’s a 1:1 ratio. Hmm, I wonder why?

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 24, 2019

5. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Comrade

Aug 24, 2019

Vickilyn, tyvm.….I started to read it and realized I am going to be late if I don't quit messing around. I'll finish it and get back to you when I get home if not too late/

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 24, 2019

Tired Teacher likes this.
  7. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Comrade

Aug 25, 2019

I would not go so far as to say they are worthless, but they need to be changed. We have had kids go to Harvard, MIT, and Yale, but they are kids who want to learn, their parents care enough to encourage them to pay attention, love to learn, and work hard.
    Plus, we have a very good gene pool in this area. ( Unfortunately, we have other gene pools that have been moving here....lol) Plus, we have a meth epidemic going on in another corner which is so sad. I think it'd be such a good idea to go back to tracking.
    You are fortunate to have no uppity admin. I have known really nice ones over the years, but have dealt w/ the uppity ones too. Do you teach at a school that is like a chain private school?
    Oh, I know about overinflated grades. I have a friend who teaches at the U and she is dumbfounded by it. She even has had parents over the last 10 years calling her to ask why their special snowflake ( 18 yrs +) did not get an A in her class. Once the kid is 18, she can't discuss it with them.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  8. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Comrade

Aug 25, 2019

Vickilyn, I got home late, but wanted to finish the 1st article. Then I saw the 2nd and read it too. I teach elementary and I do see both sides. If our goal is to teach them, we want to allow retakes for children who learned the material better the 2nd time around.
    Each case is different. If someone's pet died the night before, they didn't get enough sleep (usually the parent's fault), or they don't feel well, they should be given a break if they didn't do well on a test or have late work.
    Plus, I really don't believe in burying a kid in late work when they are young. If they goof around a lot, I do not have time to reteach though. They need to break the habit. I think many schools need after school study hall or summer school for kids who need to break the habit. :) It is a natural consequence.
    However, as the kid's age, they need to become more responsible in increments. HS students will hopefully be heading to college, trade school, or work. They are going to need to survive in the work force.
    I can't imagine telling my boss, "Oh, sorry! I didn't make the deadline for report cards. Be prepared to get phone calls from upset parents. Maybe you could tell them I picked my own deadline and preferred to do them during the summer when I had more free time." :)
    I understand "fair is not always equal." I just really wish diplomas from HS were a more accurate reflection of what the student did. By having different options/ names for graduating certificates like Culinary, Mechanics, College Bound, or whatever they mastered and plan to move forward with in their futures. I believe a HS diploma should mean something.

calculus_dad likes this.