What does a 1st year teacher need?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by gutterballjen, Jul 29, 2008.

1. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

Jul 29, 2008

I'm starting to take education classes in the fall, and will probably be graduating in about 3 years. Since I started reading these forums, I've learned a lot about what I'm getting myself into. :lol: One of these is the large amount of stuff elem teachers tend to collect. I'm guessing that someone on their first year would have to buy a lot of supplies, books, manipulatives, organizers, etc. I was thinking that it might be a good idea to start collecting things like this now, so when I do graduate I won't be as overwhelmed.

What things would a first year teacher need? For all of the veterans out there, what do you have now that you wish you had when you started teaching?

3. adellesmama

adellesmama Companion

Jul 29, 2008

Lots of picture books...my personal opinion is that you can never have too many books! Look around at yard sales and flea markets for cheap ones.

4. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Jul 29, 2008

I agree with the books. I bought a lot when I was in college. One of our professors did Scholastic Book Orders with us, so I got good deals. Also, I was able to get lots of copies and ideas when I worked in various classrooms. I started files for different topics and saved/organized everything. Definitely look for things you like, but also remember that the school should provide you with manipulatives and things like that. Also, some colleges have a lot of good teacher stuff in their library.

5. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 29, 2008

I would start picking up organizers at garage sales. Those things are so expensive at Staples, but you can find them for less than a $1 sometimes at sales. Paper trays, folder holders, file boxes, plastic drawers, ect. It's fantastic when you get a room and you have a hundred different ways to organize and store. If you have too many, or ones you aren't using, you can share with other teachers. But at least you'll have a choice and won't be dropping $10 for a mesh can to hold your pencils.

6. LiveNLearn

LiveNLearn Comrade

Jul 29, 2008

I wouldn't worry too much about collecting stuff. I found that people have been so generous- last year was my first. Many of the veterans had so much stuff they were willing to give and our school has a "yard sale" before school starts. Everyone puts out their unwanted stuff and others come and scavenge. I found that I had to have my class and know my grade level before I figured out what I needed (but it was very scary walking into an empty room).

7. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 29, 2008

It's kinda hard to start collecting three years before you teach since you won't know what grade level you'll have or how long after graduation you'll get that position. You may have to sub for awhile so you'd have to store your things. Which brings up the storage issue. I had lots of stuff that I boxed up and put in the barn/garage. It got wet and the mice crawled over everything so I had to throw everything out. I could wash the plastic, but what a pain!!
    I would open a savings account and every month or so put in a few dollars. By the time you start your class, you could have lots of money in there!!! If you can keep yourself from spending it on shoes!!!!:D;)

8. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Jul 29, 2008

Ok, this won't cost anything but it is good to collect....
    Start folders for the different months and perhaps holidays. Anytime you have an activity or lesson to correspond with it, just file it away. I was surprised at how many things I lost or misplaced or just didn't think I'd need over my college years (or thought I'd remember...ha). ALso, ask for copies from your cooperating teachers when you see something good in the classroom. MOST teachers love to share, and you'll have a good file system started when you graduate.

9. I<3kiddos

I<3kiddos Rookie

Jul 29, 2008

I like the savings account idea.

I started collecting things in college, and I collected for EC grades. However, when I got my first assignment, I was assigned to third grade. I had tons of stuff to store, and I still ended up spending over $1000 getting ready for the beginning of the school year (I was in a district that provided VERY little). That's not counting the money I spent throughout the year when I needed something else.

I'd go with a savings account.

10. JMichelleD

JMichelleD Rookie

Jul 29, 2008

Depending on the school district you are in, parents and PTO are very generous. My first year I put a "Giving Tree" bulletin board outside my room. I wrote small items I needed for the classroom on apple cut outs and pinned them up. On meet the teacher night I asked parents to pick an apple off the tree. They were very generous. It helped me out, especially the first year! I also think the savings account sounds like a great idea! Then you don't feel guilty spending money!

11. I <3 ESL

I <3 ESL Rookie

Jul 29, 2008

Good for you that you are thinking ahead!

I agree with pp that it tough to collect things when you don't know what grades you will be in and its even harder to store all of these things until you have your own classroom. I LOVE the saving money idea and wish I had done that!

You do accumulate a ton of great lessons and ideas throughout college, so my advice would be to get organized now and file away a copy of every lesson and idea and worksheet you come across. I saved every lesson I came across but was lazy and didn't file it all and now I have a stack of papers up to the ceiling that I know I won't have time to file before I start teaching... so it doesn't do me any good until I finally organize it.

12. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jul 29, 2008

Definitely books and baskets for organizing books or supplies. Your best friends will be garage sales, library book sales, Scholastic Book Club orders (check with some of your edu. professors...my professors did orders for us), and dollar stores.

13. MissAinCA

MissAinCA Rookie

Jul 29, 2008

You will find that over the years of your experience through your program and if you sub that you will get a sense of your classroom style and know what supplies and methods keep you organized the best. Instead of collecting a ton of stuff that you will inevitably have to store and keep clean, I recommend that as you come across neat ideas and methods that speak to you that you write them down. I subbed long-term in K last year and now am beginning my first year of teaching as a K teacher. The only thing that I am very grateful for that I collected are books like others have suggested. Other than that it will actually make your life easier to keep as organized and as uncluttered as possible. For storage of your books use plastic containers with wheels-not regular cardboard boxes. They attract bugs, dust, mice, and dirt. Keeping the running log of ideas that I did though has prove priceless as now I do not feel so overwhelmed on how to approach setting up my new classroom. Also, keep a log on methods or ideas that didn't work for future reference. Good luck in your program and keep your eye on your goal!