what do your students say about you??

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by teaching rocks, Apr 24, 2006.

1. teaching rocks

teaching rocks Rookie

Apr 24, 2006

I have two questions here... (1) What do you think your students would say about you or rather what would you like them to say?
    (2) What do your collegues say about you?

3. kburen

kburen Cohort

Apr 24, 2006

At the begining of the year I found out that my students were saying how great I was. A friend of the family was talking about the new 5th grade teacher at my school and how great she was....He didn't know that was me :) Now however, I believe that's changed. I'm making them behave and if they don't taking their privilage to talk at lunch or making them have walking recess they think I'm mean...They've quit listening to I yell a bit, so they also say I'm mean for that......A parent hates the fact that her child isn't getting the same grades that they use to so she has made it quite clear that I *and I quote* "suck". Not sure about collegues.....

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 24, 2006

My husband once had a grad class with a former student of mine. She said I was the reason she became a teacher!!!!

Normally speaking, the ones who get good grades think I'm wonderful; the ones who are failing tend to think I'm not.

As far as colleagues: After 6 years at home with the kids, I'm looking to get back to work. Today I got a call from my former employer. He got my letter-- he's not positive yet that he'll have an opening, but really wants me back on staff. He asked me not to accept a job without letting him know.

I'm having a good day! I celebrated by going out to buy some "teacher clothes"--- those 6 years have added some weight, and the chinos and loafers I've been wearing won't cut it in school.

5. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Apr 24, 2006

My students are in prek, so obviously, they don't have much to say!

My colleagues seem to like me. I went to pay a condolence call a few weeks ago, and walked in on my nursery teacher (whose class I'm subbing in now), and my seventh grade teachers (who both still work in the school), talking about how wonderful I am:D!

6. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Apr 24, 2006

I know of some students who think I am really great and others who probably are wisest to keep their opininons out of my earshot. Right ow my boys are probably sick to death of me because they can't be quiet more than 60 seconds and I am always on their case about it. As for collegues...I'm not sure I want to know but they most likely think I am terrbily disorganized, somewhat inconsistent, and maybe a few think I don't comply easily enough.

7. jpre-k teacher

jpre-k teacher Companion

Apr 25, 2006

I think my kids really like me. Some of them have been in my class for almost two years (last year I taught pre-k, this year I moved up to k), and I think we have a good relationship. I expect them to behave while some other teachers don't, so I've heard "I'll tell your teacher about your behavior" used by both other teachers and parents before. I'm not scary or anything (promise!), so I think that shows the kids respect me anyway.

As for my colleagues...some love me, some hate me. I tend to not put up with a lot of BS. I don't like it when people are lazy or when they waste my time. I'm also not very talented at hiding my feelings. So, I don't think I'll be winning any awards for "most beloved coworker," but I'm OK with that. ;)

8. golden girl

golden girl Guest

May 4, 2006

Here's a hint: your colleagues are nice to your face. When you are not around, they talk about you with other teachers. They assume that they know what is happening in your classroom even though they have never stepped foot it there. Twenty-five years of this in different schools, and I've never known how to stop it.

9. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

May 4, 2006

I would hope that my colleauges would refer to me as professional, and a team player. I would hope that my students would think I was fair. They don't have to love me, I'm not mom, and they don't have to be my friend, but they do have to listen:)

10. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

May 4, 2006

Colleagues? No idea. Students? My student evaluations are pretty good, and everything (so far) on RateMyProfessor.com is positive. I keep my fingers and toes crossed, though.

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 5, 2006

When I give a tough assignment or take away a privilege because of inappropriate behaviour they probably don't like me too much. Yesterday, when I gave them 10 minutes of "free talk time" because they had spent the entire morning writing a math quiz, a Social Studies test and DRA, I was the best teacher ever! I think that they generally respect me and want to make me proud. I have a good professional relationship with most of my colleagues, and great friendships with a few (although many probably think that I talk way too much!)

12. melle

melle Rookie

May 11, 2006

I tend to receive very extreme reactions from my students - they either LOVE me, or they HATE me. I teach at a private high school. My classes (Literature, Art History and Writing) are considered to be the hardest on campus and I am the hardest teacher. Students looove to complain about my classes and the difficulty level - especially those who haven't had me yet! lol (they've heard stories...) BUT, students also beg the registrar to put them in my classes, because they are NOT BORING. I am a Bohemian-type gal, so I have no problem looking ridiculous in front of my kids. I sing, dance, give spontaneous oral recitations, tell them about my dogs and my child, all sorts of things. I am VERY passionate about the subjects I teach and that comes out - class discussions get really enthusiastic and LOUD. I have few discipline problems because I call them on it directly and handle it immediately; some kids don't like that and badmouth me as the bitch of the universe. Oh, well. The ones who like me rave about me all over the place - on the phone to their parents, to their advisors, to my dean. Generally, the students think I'm really weird and wonderful, or they think I'm the Devil incarnate. Either way, I have yet to have a student fail to thank me after s/he has gotten to college because s/he inevitably feels prepared for the workload and thinks s/he has "learned the most I ever learned in any class" in my class - and isn't that the point of what I do? :eek:)

13. melle

melle Rookie

May 11, 2006

oh, I forgot - my colleagues hate my guts. Except the ones who like me. Generally, they either think I'm the most passionate, caring, energetic teacher they have ever come across and admire me, or they think I'm completely unprofessional (which in my book amounts to the same thing.) Ha! :) and talk about me constantly behind my back. Oh, well. I'm teaching! I don't have time for that silliness.

14. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 12, 2006

I have one who I constantly get on to. I told him the other day that I hated being a mean teacher, but I had to help him along when he needed it. He interrupted me and told me he thought I was a cool teacher.
    I have another one that doesn't like me when I won't send him to the nurses office. He always comes up to me and says that he isn't feeling good, or that his mom told him to go to the nurse. I watch for signs. When I see him playing around 1 minute before and after he comes up to me, I have a hard time believing it. It's usually when he doesn't want to work or may be bored.

15. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

May 12, 2006

1. I am sure my students think I am firm but nice.
    2. My collegues may say I am organized and driven.

16. Music Doc

Music Doc Habitué

Jun 5, 2006

I'm probably pretty much in the same boat as everyone else. I have my share of fans and critics.....very often those camps line up along "grading" lines.

I also have found that (usually) the longer I have a student (one of the nice opportunities in a performing arts elective course), the more positive their reflection of me seems to be. My long-tenured students in my most select choir are almost always 100% positive in their assessment...and, of course, I feel very much the same way about them.

The nicest thing a student can ever say is actually through action. When one of my singers makes the choice to enter the field of music ed...and relays to me that their choice was based upon the impact that I had on them.....that means more to me than just about anything else I can think of.

As for colleagues....very often it depends on their understanding of my subject area. I've heard the usual "oh it's only music, it's not hard/important" stuff, but I've also had other colleagues leap to my defense upon hearing those comments. In general, I think the faculty here (especially the folks who've been here a while) are very supportive, since they have a better understanding of some of the things our choral program has accomplished.

17. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 5, 2006

I do an end of the year eval or rather my kids do. They are not supposed to put their names on it, but some do. They tell me that they really like that I truly care about them and push them. They do wish that I were more organized in the room. (Which I really need to be.) Of course some say they wish that we did even more fun stuff, but by this age (5th) most realize that we have to do some seat work before we do the fun stuff. Parents have told me that they appreciate the feedback that I give them and that I am always available for meetings (except for the one boy that I wouldn't meet with his parents unless the principal was there!). My co-teachers think I'm too much a stickler for the rules sometimes and too personal with my kids. They also just shake their heads when I tell them how excited I am about something new I want to try in the classroom. Most of them are very comfy in their "ruts" and dig their heells in when I try to pull them out of it!

18. IndyJo

IndyJo Companion

Jun 5, 2006

Colleagues: I'm the organized, vocal, and humorous one (especially when I imitate students - we never get through a team collaboration after I start)
    Students: I teach third grade and on the third to last day of school, I walked by a group of second graders. All of a sudden they all started saying, "Can I be in your class next year?" The second grade teacher just smiled and looked at me. That happened again with another second grade class, but I was ready. My response: "I'll only take those of you who earned A's in citizenship." The second grade teacher cracked up laughing, while some kids just looked at me like, "Awwww, man!"

19. wikteacher

wikteacher Rookie

Jun 6, 2006

According to the award I got yesterday, my students say that I "have the best laugh". :) Gotta love kindergarten kids!

20. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Jun 6, 2006

I had my kids write letters to the next 3rd grader that will have their desk next year. One paragraph they had to write was advice to the future students. One of my kids raised his hand and asked if he could write that they should be nice to me when I am cranky. :eek:

I asked if I am really cranky that often and he said "there was that one day I can think of...". Hey, 1 day out of 186 is pretty good.:rolleyes:

21. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 7, 2006

I had my kids so something similar. Some of the kids put things like "Get on the teacher's good side," and "Be careful on the teacher's cranky days." 5th graders! I let it go because in a sense they are right. Most of the time I'm patient, but when I'm not in a good mood, watch out!

22. ppax

ppax Rookie

Jun 7, 2006

You have me laughing with this one. :D Teachers do love to talk!