What do your students call you?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by UpperMidwest, May 4, 2017.

1. UpperMidwest

UpperMidwest Rookie

May 4, 2017

If your name is Jane Doe, for example, do they call you by the traditional Mrs./Ms. Doe? Or Mrs/Ms. D? Or Mrs./Ms. Jane? Or simply Jane? Or something else?

3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

May 4, 2017

Mrs. "Jane". I teach SPE and started in preschool SPE. Went by Mrs. "Jane" in there and the kids throughout the school call me that. Now, the ED/BD students call me Mrs. Doe because that is what their teacher told them to call me. I'm fine either way as long as it isn't Witch with a B. ;)

UpperMidwest likes this.
  4. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 4, 2017

Most call me Mr. Last-Name. But a few just call me by my last name. I stopped trying to fight it a while ago, because they seemed to be using it as a term of endearment and they treat me respectfully otherwise. If a kid tries to use my first name though, I shut them down.

UpperMidwest likes this.
  5. phillyteacher

phillyteacher Comrade

May 4, 2017

Traditional Ms/ Mrs Lastname. I'm married but don't have a preference between Ms and Mrs.

vickilyn, MrsC and UpperMidwest like this.
  6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 4, 2017

This.
    I did have a student a few years ago who called me "Mama Lastname". For her, it was a term of respect and affection, so I was more than fine with it.

7. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 4, 2017

Miss Firstname. My last name is very difficult to pronounce, especially if you look at how it's spelled, so I didn't want them mocking me or just keep asking how to say it. Even though I teach high school, and using teacher's name like this is not very common, I've never had a problem with it from teachers or admin.
    I also don't really want them to know my last name. They know it, because it's on their schedule, but don't see it regularly, so they forget. I don't want them Googling me, etc.

greendream and UpperMidwest like this.
  8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 4, 2017

I'm fine with either Mrs. Fiddle or Mizz Fidd (Fiddle is close enough to my actual name that the nickname is real).

9. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 4, 2017

Depends on the kid. Most call me "Mrs. Doe." A few call me "Mama Doe." A few kids call me just "Doe." One calls me "Jane" as an inside joke. Another calls me "Mrs. My-Husbands-Last-Name." (But before you think he's being anti-feminist, he calls my husband "Mr. My-Last-Name."

MrsC likes this.
  10. carolinafan

carolinafan Rookie

May 4, 2017

A lot of my students just call me Mr., but some call me Mr. Lastname.

11. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

May 4, 2017

"Mrs. Doe." I would never allow a student to call me anything but that.

12. waterfall

waterfall Maven

May 4, 2017

Using your example I go by Miss Doe. My last name can be difficult to pronounce, so in my previous schools I went by Miss D. When I got to my current school, my para's name starts with the same letter as my last name, so she was already "Miss D." She offered to change back (she only called herself that because the SPED teacher before me called her that), but we have the same kids for multiple years in a row so most of them already knew her as Miss D. She actually retired earlier this year and I've been debating if it's worth it trying to switch back to Miss D knowing that I have many kids that are already used to calling me Miss Doe.

I worked with a teacher at my first school who for whatever reason thought the whole Mrs. lastname thing was ridiculous and wanted the kids to call her by her first name. The school wouldn't let her do that and they ended up compromising on her being called "Miss firstname."

Another weird thing that this thread made me think of is that one of the teachers at school calls me "Mrs. lastname" to the kids even though we're close friends and she knows I'm not married. It doesn't really bother me or anything, I've always just thought it was weird and wondered if it were some sort of cultural or regional thing.

13. cocobean

cocobean Companion

May 4, 2017

Mrs. Last name.
    My last name is long, but easy enough to say. I always have kids ask if they can call me Mrs. First initial at the beginning of the year. I let them know I've had kindergarteners say it perfectly, and they all end up saying the whole things. Spelling it on the other hand.... :rofl:

14. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

May 4, 2017

Since I am subbing, I have them call me Ms.First Initial of my Last Name. I don't see the need for them to have my full last name since I am only there for a day! When I student teach, I will have them call me Ms.Last name

15. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 4, 2017

There's a para at my school and she always calls me Mrs Firstname. She has been doing this for 4 years, and she knows it is really my first name, not last name. I even corrected her a few times, she ignores it. It sounds so weird.

16. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 4, 2017

Mrs. Last name

Hardly anyone spells my last name correctly, but it's not that hard to pronounce.

17. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

May 4, 2017

When I taught in MS, everyone called me Mr. LastName. The female teachers eventually just called me LastName.

Now, at a high school, I've noticed a large number of lower male achievers just use my last name. All the girls and upper male achievers call me Mr. LastName. Seems like a lack of maturity with the lower boys.

18. rpan

rpan Cohort

May 5, 2017

Students call me Miss, Missus, Miss Doe, Mrs Doe, it doesn't bother me, even though I'm married - as long as we aren't on a first name basis. I have students call me Mom quite often. They start a sentence with "Mom, can you explain xxx again?" And when other kids start laughing they realise that they've called me Mom and rephrase the question with "Miss or Missus". It happens about once a week, from both male and female students. Secretly, I like that they don't see me as the enemy - I must be doing something right.

19. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 5, 2017

Kids can be lazy and don't want to say names that aren't simple like Smith.
    My sped students are non-verbal in general so I don't have to worry about them calling me anything!
    There are other kids in the school who call me Mrs. last initial.

20. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 5, 2017

I am Miss Lastname.

I chose 'Miss' rather than Ms. when I was a new, young, single teacher. Now I'm an older, single teacher and the Miss and just stuck!

Of course, most of the young students don't know the difference and often call me Mrs. Lastname.

21. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

May 5, 2017

I'm Miss First initial. My last name is long and I don't like it much, so I just use the first initial. I have a few students who insist on using my full last name anyway though.

22. cupcakequeen

cupcakequeen Comrade

May 5, 2017

I wish I could be Miss/Ms First Name, it would be way easier for my kids. I started out as "Mrs Last Name" and my last name isn't super hard to say unless you see it spelled. I used to write my name on the board so kids could spell it correctly, but once they saw how it was spelled I became either "Mrs Last Name" or "Mrs Some strange mispronunciation of my name because Eastern European alphabets are weird."

My husband did warn me this would happen, lol. I doesn't bother me much anymore, I now respond to any and all versions of my name.

23. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 5, 2017

I've always been called Ms. LastName, except two high school student who called me Ms. FirstName. They were part of my debate team my first year at the school and that was just an inside thing between myself and them.

24. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 5, 2017

I'm Eastern European as well. The letter s is pronounced as [sh] in my language, so when they see it spelled they say it very differently and the emphasis on the syllables is wrong and just sounds horrible. Thought about changing it to spell sh instead of s, but they would still mess up the vowels.
    Miss Firstname has worked for me since 2011, even when I subbed, so it will be find in the future.

25. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 5, 2017

Mrs. Lastname. It's what I prefer. And the culture of my building. Except preK where kids call their teacher Ms Firstname

26. Teachis4m3

Teachis4m3 Rookie

May 7, 2017

Mrs. Last Initial