What do your students call you . . . Miss Jane or Mrs. Jane or Ms. Jane, and ROP

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by cinlo, Aug 29, 2010.

1. cinlo

cinlo Rookie

Aug 29, 2010

how do you write it when signing letters or using your name in books, bulletin boards, etc.

All the teachers at our pre-school are addressed as Miss or Ms. and their first name. It has nothing to do with marital status just what the kids call you.

Since most kids pronounce any of the above as "Miss", I just use that. What do most teachers do?

3. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 29, 2010

At our school children call us by our first names only, no Mrs., Ms. or anything else in front of it.

4. dogs&teaching

dogs&teaching Comrade

Aug 29, 2010

I have my student call me Ms. Last Name. I teach preschool and p.e., so I don't want my p.e. students thinking it's ok to call me by my first name. I go by my last name. I use Ms. because I'm not married.

5. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 29, 2010

In my morning job the kids call me Mrs. Last Name which they have done for over 15 years. At my new afternoon job the culture is to call you Miss First Name which I hate. First, I haven't been a miss for over 30 years. Second, I keep getting mixed up. Third, I like the respect aspect for both kids and parents. I hate the t-shirt at the second job too - I like to dress more professionally.

6. cinlo

cinlo Rookie

Aug 29, 2010

I totally understand about wanting to be addressed by Ms. or Mrs. & your last name. I expected that, too, when I taught first grade in public school. However, this is a small church pre-school that has classes from age 1 - 4. We only meet 2 days each week. It's a very casual atmosphere.

7. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 30, 2010

At the center I taught at, most of the infant, toddler, and 2's teachres went by Ms. Firstname. Most of us with 3's and up did Ms. Lastname. I'm not really sure why, I don't think the kids really cared, they jsut called us whatever wwe called ourselves.

I'm in public now, and either use Ms. Lastname or Ms Lastinitial. My name isn't THAT hard to say, but I often have kids with language impairment, so are happy when they call me anything at all :)

8. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Aug 30, 2010

I am Mrs. Lastname. Since even the littlest ones can say and remember dinosaur names and transformer names, last names are not that difficult.

9. Shawnmarie

Shawnmarie Rookie

Sep 3, 2010

Where I teach now, it's by first name, the last 2 places I taught - the morning one was Miss and the first initial of my last name because no one could say my last name, lol, and the afternoon job was Miss and my first name. Even though I'm married, it was easier just to say Miss than Mrs. for my little ones.

10. SoReady2Teach

SoReady2Teach Comrade

Sep 3, 2010

It's Miss and last name for me

11. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Sep 3, 2010

Nobody calls me Ms, Miss, or Mrs. anything.

12. MissAnt

MissAnt Comrade

Sep 3, 2010

I'm a Miss but my kids are little and they end up calling me Mrs. Lastname because most of the teachers in my school are Mrs.

13. missteacher5

missteacher5 Rookie

Sep 4, 2010

Miss First Name. At my school you're a Miss whether you are married or not.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2010

I've always gone by Mrs LastName regardless of grade level (including PreK)

15. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Sep 4, 2010

School culture by us is that anything below first grade, you're "Morah Firstname" (Hebrew for teacher). First grade and above use either "Morah Lastname" or Miss/Mrs Lastname

16. Liljag

Liljag Companion

Sep 5, 2010

Here they call me by my first name. Sometimes "frökan" which is the equivalent of "Miss" but I prefer my first name.