What do your rules and policies look like?

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by AMB, Jul 30, 2009.

1. AMB

AMB Rookie

Jul 30, 2009

This will be my first year teaching middle school reading. I will have 3 classes of 6th graders, 1 class of 7th, 2 classes of 8th. I'm the only reading teacher so there is a very good chance I'll have my 6th graders for the next 3 years (my 7th and 8th graders I only have for a semester so I can scrap whatever doesn't work and try again with a new group. My 6th graders are full year.)

Another bonus to make matters more complicated is that I am pregnant and due Jan.23rd so I will be out at least 6 weeks of 2nd semester (hopefully only 6 weeks.) I've subbed and know that 6th graders tend to be really good for subs, but still...

So I definitely, definitely, want to start off strict and then see about easing up as we go. But I'm looking for ideas from more experienced teachers. Most of my experience is with high school, so it's a bit different.

Thank you!

3. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 31, 2009

I have only 2 rules: 1. Be prepared. and 1. Be appropriate.
    We define the word appropriate and what it means to be prepared and what the consequences are for not being prepared or appropriate. By mid year, I hear other students during group work say "is that appropriate?"

4. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Jul 31, 2009

1. greet each student at the door (shake hands and names)
    2. give each a handout at the door with instructions to find their seat (already numbered and on handout)
    3. tell each to follow instructions on the board (instructions tell how to fill out handout and what to do when finished - have "free time" worksheets in baskets)
    4. as students are working circulate among them

You are answering for students two questions: 1) "Who are you?" 2) "Do we have to work in this class?"

1) I respect you enough to learn your names (at the door)
    I will be close to you while you are working (proximity-circulate)
    I will assign you a seat

2) My class starts at the door (versus milling around and socializing)
    I will have something for you do

5. AMB

AMB Rookie

Aug 3, 2009

Thanks!