What do YOUR lesson plans look like?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by special_teacher, Feb 19, 2009.

1. special_teacher

special_teacher Rookie

Feb 19, 2009

This is directed at teachers who have a wide range of ability levels in one class. I am interested in changing my lesson plan format to be more comprehensive of all subject areas, while also providing a good outline of all the activities to be done with each student throughout the day. My biggest hurdle is that out of a dozen kids in my class, I have at least 5 different ability levels. My class is K/1 and self-contained. Anybody have a similar kind of class? Do you get to do every subject with every kid, every day? Do you give homework? What do your lesson plans look like?

Thanks for reading. :)

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 19, 2009

I have a self contained K-5. When I get home I can PM you a copy of what I do if you would like.

4. rrhelpplease

rrhelpplease Rookie

Feb 20, 2009

I am a K-1 Resource Room Teacher could you PM me too

5. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Feb 20, 2009

When I had a K-5 self contained classroom in TX, my lesson plans covered broad thematic units but included the child's individual goals within the lesson plans.

For example:

Science: Cooking project
    (then I would list the goals that related to cooking for each kids)

I basically made "banks" of goals for the kids (based off of their IEPS) having them correspond to certain activities (read alouds, writing activities, pre-writing, cooking, vocational, math, etc.)

It makes the lesson plans very differentiated and it reminds you of which things to focus on during your lesson. I would describe the objectives of each activity but incorporate individual goals into the mix.

For some of my kids, merely sitting through the activity without banging their head would be an appropriate goal. Some skills that were too high for my low kids would be listed in my lesson plans, but the low kids would have to "make eye contact" or "appropriately ask for help" etc. based on their IEPs.

Hope this makes sense. I could e-mail you a copy of what I'm talking about if you'd like as well.

6. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Feb 22, 2009

I'd be glad to share a week of lesson plans with you if you PM me your email address. I teach 6-12 self-contained.

7. mkteach

mkteach Rookie

Feb 22, 2009

please email this info too

8. teach4joy

teach4joy Rookie

Feb 22, 2009

I would love to see some lesson plan examples as well. I teach SH 1-3 grade I just started mid year =)

9. JustJim

JustJim Companion

Feb 24, 2009

TeacherSK, could I get a copy of that lesson plan as well? I've always thought you have my dream job, but I've wondered how you manage all the IEP goals.
    Thanks,
    Jim

10. mkteach

mkteach Rookie

Feb 28, 2009

how can i get a copy of those lessons? thanks

11. Chokita

Chokita Comrade

Feb 28, 2009

teachersk, could you please email me your lesson plan too? I sent you a PM with my email address.
    Thank you!

WaterfallLady, thank you for your lesson plans!

12. sduplant

sduplant New Member

Mar 2, 2009

Can I please have a copy of your lesson plans? I am a life skills teacher grades 1-5....thanks a million

13. weiseteacher

weiseteacher Rookie

Mar 2, 2009

I'm student teaching in a classroom with multiple learning levels. Could I be included on the list of people you are emailing your sample lesson plans to?

Thanks!

14. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Mar 2, 2009

Please PM with email addresses if you are interested in receiving a copy of the plans. Thanks.

15. Leatherette

Leatherette Comrade

Mar 4, 2009

When I taught self-contained, my lesson plans weren't so different than other teachers', except that there were three sets! I had my K-1's, 3's and a 5th grader. I had thematic units that the entire class did, but it was at 5 levels.

Now I teach resource K-5, and cannot figure out the best way to do my lesson plans. I have 13 kids that have very diverse needs, they come from 8 different teachers whose schedules I have to coordinate with, and none of it lends itself to grouping really well. I basically have 20 preps, and writing lesson plans out is so time consuming that I just can't do it.

My kids have their IEP's, which drive our instruction, and their binders have many progress record charts, and I keep all of their work in portfolios. There is an abundance of records of what we have done, just not before the fact in a traditional lesson plan. There are many absences due to illness, schedule conflicts, field trips with their gen ed. classes, early release days, etc., so that is an added difficulty for traditional lesson planning. If I can manage to write a lesson plan that meets the needs of two kids, and one is absent, what then?

I miss self-contained for that reason. Resource is making me :dizzy:

16. lessonlover

lessonlover New Member

Mar 12, 2009

Here's a format: (I'm not sure though if this could help)
    I.Heading
    a. Subject:
    b. Grade Level :
    c. Class Size:
    d. Duration:
    e. Lesson:
    f. Topic :
    II.Instructional Objectives
    III.Strategies to be used
    IV.Instructional Materials
    V.Instructional Procedure
    a.Set Induction
    b.Lesson Proper
    c.Lesson Closure
    VI.Evaluation
    VII.References

If you have any questions just PM or send me an email.

17. kit10fohn

kit10fohn New Member

Mar 12, 2009

Teachersk can you please e-mail me a copy of your lesson plan. I really like the way you have explained it and it sounds like something we could use in my self-contained classroom
    Thank you,