What do your kids do/play at recess?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Hoot Owl, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Dec 12, 2010

I'm really concerned because our recess has temporarily been suspended.

Our kids have been in trouble because some have been fighting at recess. Well... I'm thinking if they had something constructive to do at recess they'd just be good kids playing.

What do your kids do at recess?

My old school the kids played Jerry Springer which was AWEFUL!

3. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 12, 2010

I have a tub of playground equipment I have bought (playground balls, etc). They play with those or on the obstacle course, swings, etc. My boys have been too agressive at recess with basketball and kickball, so they don't get to use the equipment. They have started playing things like freeze tag and running races. For inside recess I have board games that they like. The biggest hit, though, it the set of k-nex (spelling?) We usually watch part of a Jeff Corwin or Magic School Bus, too.

4. alschoolteacher

alschoolteacher Companion

Dec 12, 2010

My kids play on the swings, jungle gym, or slides, play tag, run races, play soccer, basketball, or wallball, find interesting leaves, collect acorns, or just sit and talk. Some of my girls like to dig for "fossils" in the dirt.

5. KateL

KateL Habitué

Dec 12, 2010

Jump ropes are big out here for girls in elementary schools. The boys usually play football or basketball.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 13, 2010

Kids at the schools in my district like tetherball. There's also swings. I don't know what else they play since I'm hardly ever out for yard duty.

When I was a kid, I played on the bars, played handball, Chinese jacks, Chinese jumprope, four square & tag.

7. strepsils

strepsils Companion

Dec 13, 2010

We have sports equipment allocated to each class for students to use during recess and lunch.

As half of our play area was removed due to building, we set up organised sport (sometimes teacher led, sometimes student councillors run it). That includes basketball games, footy games etc for students, obstacle courses, etc.

8. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Dec 13, 2010

The best game for kids in cold weather is soccer or
    Steal the Flag. Get some of your soccer playing kids
    (Surely there are some) to teach the rest how to play.
    Steal the flag is my kid's favorite game to play and I do
    it on very cold days. Its like a giant game of tag with
    all kinds of strategies. I actually taught my first grade
    how to play it recently. My 3-5th would play all the time
    if I let them. Kids that hate to run or wont run will actually
    run the whole time playing it.

9. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 13, 2010

What is Jerry Springer?

10. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Dec 13, 2010

Every time I go out for duty I take our classroom football. My boys love to play football (yes I have learned this year how to throw a football). We play a game called "Jackpot". The person throwing calls out a number (1-99) as they throw. If a person catches the ball, they get that amount of points. Once their score adds up to 100, they become the person throwing. However, at any time the person throwing can call out "Jackpot". If someone catches the ball on a jackpot, they become the thrower. The boys love it, and I always have a large group from other classes join us. You do have to set up some guidelines before playing (no tackling, no diving, no taking from someone elses hands, etc...) and if anyone does not follow the guidelines they do not get to play.

We also have our recess duty teacher (we have an aide that comes out every day) bring out random things on different days. He may bring out basketballs, paddles for touch tag, or scooters, etc... The key is to have an adult supervising those activities, with a set of guidelines that everyone knows.

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 13, 2010

Our kids don't tend to play organized games. There is usually a pick-up game or two of soccer going on, and basketball when the court isn't covered with snow. Some of the kids play tag, skip or play with a tennis ball. There is a climbing apparatus, but we close it during the winter months when it is very slippery. When there is snow on the ground, many of the kids occupy themselves building snowforts and snowmen (although the 'policing' of them is not always fun). We have over 600 kids out for recess at the same time, so it's very busy, but almost all of them manage to occupy themselves (and burn off steam) very well.

12. mkate

mkate Comrade

Dec 13, 2010

Our kids have a paved area with goals for soccer, and the ones who don't play that hang out and play with tops (the kind that you launch with a string-- are those popular other places too?) and often girls will rehearse dance choreographies from tv shows.

The PreK/K area is separate and they have jump ropes, some climbing equipment and slides, and pails and shovels. Here it's too dry for grass to grow without a lot of upkeep and watering, so the ground is either paved or sand.

13. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Dec 13, 2010

Now that takes me back. That was a popular toy many years ago in America. I havent seen one in years.

14. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Dec 13, 2010

I teach High school so my kids tend to just hang out. However if I am working in my room I usually have my mp3 player running through my PC playing heavy rock, this usually attracts some of the more 'gothic' members of my classes who sit at the back while I work.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  15. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Dec 13, 2010

Our daycare supervisor is very interested in old toys, so we have an after school clubs for tops, yo-yos, jump rope, jacks, etc. A great many kids play with those at recess too. Handball is also popular, as are the bars and slides.

16. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Dec 13, 2010

Just stupid arguing and shenanigans

Thanks for all the input! I'm determined to make their recess time count for something worth while.

17. lindita323

lindita323 Companion

Dec 15, 2010

We had a rough and tumble group of 4th graders last school year. Each grade level goes out to recess separately, so we had about 100 kids out at recess. They just could not get through a recess without trouble. We do not have recess aides, so normally 3 out of the 4 teachers have recess duty. When our students were having trouble, we realized they really did not know how to play games, play fair. For about a month we ended up all going outside and we each took a separate area on the playground. We taught them how to play kickball, basketball games other than basketball (like P-I-G,) had a jump rope and hula hoop area, and on the soccer field we would do relays, etc. After about a month, we went to 2 classes sharing 2 areas, and finally opened it back up to free recess after about 6 weeks. The only bad thing was they had so much fun when the teachers played WITH them that they wanted that all the time, lol!!! I love indoor recess. I have a schedule for who gets to use the computer,and everyone else plays whatever they want like board games, puzzles, drawing, and just plain old socializing.

18. hzminda

hzminda Rookie

Dec 15, 2010

Some teachers at the school I volunteer for give their students Side Walk Chalk to play with. They let the students draw on the sidewalks or the bus loop.